Sponsored

Toasted Engine at 9200 miles. Should I expect FCA to honor a buy back?

Eich.el

First Name
Hashem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S (Sarge Green)
I bought my wrangler new in January 2022 and had a concern about overheating early on as the fan would come on without much effort, but I disregarded that because as soon as the fans came on the engine would cool down. At that time oil temps were maxing out around 215 before fans would cool things down.

This past weekend, I had a really terrible experience. I was driving up north on the I-17 from Phoenix, when I suddenly got a warning light for overheating. I immediately pulled over to the safest place I could find (really not safe at all) and put the car in neutral and let the engine And fans run which ultimately cools down the engine to normal temperatures.

Long story short I got stuck on the side of this busy highway til 1AM because no one was apparently available to tow me according to both my insurance company and Jeep Wave program. So I thankfully got a ride. Had to get to my work the same morning at 5:30 on Saturday (life of a resident). The car finally got towed the following Monday to Jeep Oxendale in Cottonwood (this all happened Friday night).

I was initially told by service crew that the rear diff was locked up which was the report they received from the tow driver. Based on that, I was told it would take minimum three months to complete a repair.

Two days layer, I received a call with great news that the issue was not at all the rear diff and the tow truck driver was nuts (which was my suspicion too). The repair was a simple radiator hose that needed to be replaced and it would be ready by Friday the same week.

Come Friday I call to check on my car and am told that they test ran the vehicle and the engine shut off and would not start again. The engine needs a complete swap.

I am beyond bummed out. This is my second wrangler. First one also had bizarre issues Including a faulty fuel tank that needed to be replaced and multiple other issues. Nonetheless I have Jeep another chance and picked up this wrangler which I absolutely adore and named Zaytuna (Arabic for olive). Hand washed it almost every weekend and took it off road in Sedona where it performed awesome and took me to beautiful places.

So I am very upset with the whole situation - I am out of a brand new car that I love and don’t have a vehicle for likely 3-6 months for this engine replacement. I am in contact with FCA and am expecting a call from someone on Monday or Tuesday (6/20-6/21) to go through more details and determine if they will buy back my vehicle.

I am apparently a masochist and still want to drive a 2-door wrangler, however have no interest in driving the piece of junk that was sold to me with an engine that failed at 9223 miles.

My question is: what experiences have people here had with FCA buy back program? I prefer not to involve an attorney but absolutely would if needed. Thanks for reading!

Note: Vehicle was bought at Chapman Jeep in Scottsdale, AZ. It is currently sitting at Oxendale Jeep in Cottonwood, AZ (great people there).

A939CDC3-3677-44C8-8C9E-893E5C6C6639.jpeg

6CE89836-C0A4-434E-B153-C06C82C61313.jpeg

2869689F-9CE8-4012-9C39-62B5537F335C.jpeg

42B66CE8-B014-4326-A184-8FF15C9496BA.jpeg
Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I bought my wrangler new in January 2022 and had a concern about overheating early on as the fan would come on without much effort, but I disregarded that because as soon as the fans came on the engine would cool down. At that time oil temps were maxing out around 215 before fans would cool things down.

This past weekend, I had a really terrible experience. I was driving up north on the I-17 from Phoenix, when I suddenly got a warning light for overheating. I immediately pulled over to the safest place I could find (really not safe at all) and put the car in neutral and let the engine And fans run which ultimately cools down the engine to normal temperatures.

Long story short I got stuck on the side of this busy highway til 1AM because no one was apparently available to tow me according to both my insurance company and Jeep Wave program. So I thankfully got a ride. Had to get to my work the same morning at 5:30 on Saturday (life of a resident). The car finally got towed the following Monday to Jeep Oxendale in Cottonwood (this all happened Friday night).

I was initially told by service crew that the rear diff was locked up which was the report they received from the tow driver. Based on that, I was told it would take minimum three months to complete a repair.

Two days layer, I received a call with great news that the issue was not at all the rear diff and the tow truck driver was nuts (which was my suspicion too). The repair was a simple radiator hose that needed to be replaced and it would be ready by Friday the same week.

Come Friday I call to check on my car and am told that they test ran the vehicle and the engine shut off and would not start again. The engine needs a complete swap.

I am beyond bummed out. This is my second wrangler. First one also had bizarre issues Including a faulty fuel tank that needed to be replaced and multiple other issues. Nonetheless I have Jeep another chance and picked up this wrangler which I absolutely adore and named Zaytuna (Arabic for olive). Hand washed it almost every weekend and took it off road in Sedona where it performed awesome and took me to beautiful places.

So I am very upset with the whole situation - I am out of a brand new car that I love and don’t have a vehicle for likely 3-6 months for this engine replacement. I am in contact with FCA and am expecting a call from someone on Monday or Tuesday (6/20-6/21) to go through more details and determine if they will buy back my vehicle.

I am apparently a masochist and still want to drive a 2-door wrangler, however have no interest in driving the piece of junk that was sold to me with an engine that failed at 9223 miles.

My question is: what experiences have people here had with FCA buy back program? I prefer not to involve an attorney but absolutely would if needed. Thanks for reading!

Note: Vehicle was bought at Chapman Jeep in Scottsdale, AZ. It is currently sitting at Oxendale Jeep in Cottonwood, AZ (great people there).

Jeep Wrangler JL Toasted Engine at 9200 miles. Should I expect FCA to honor a buy back? 42B66CE8-B014-4326-A184-8FF15C9496BA

Jeep Wrangler JL Toasted Engine at 9200 miles. Should I expect FCA to honor a buy back? 42B66CE8-B014-4326-A184-8FF15C9496BA

sorry for the trouble you are having with your Jeep! you didn't mention what engine you got on it. Or maybe I missed it. I have a 4 door Willys with the same color. Maybe I should call it Sargent Zaytuna ;) Honestly, if you don't have any issues with the car, get the engine replaced by the dealer, then take it to a good mechanic shop and have them inspect it to make sure the dealer techs didn't take shortcuts with routing or clipping harnesses/wires and didn't forget a clamp here or there. Once that is verified, I'd pay for an extended warranty and keep it.

OP
OP
Eich.el

Eich.el

First Name
Hashem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, important detail whoops. It’s a 2L turbo 4 cylinder.

Thanks for your reply! I will consider that option as I truly do love my Zaytuna, but I wouldn’t pay out of my own pocket for an extended warranty out of fear that shouldn’t be there in the first place, if that makes sense. The other issue is the fact of how long the engine swap repair would take.

And yes - Sargent Zaytuna is a very cool name :)

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
If they can’t get you squared away pretty quick lemon law that sucker and start over. Usually 30 days out of service will quality for lemon law (or multiple occurrences of the same problem. Sounds like you have both.

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
At what mileage did you do your first oil change?

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I bought my wrangler new in January 2022...

The engine needs a complete swap.

My question is: what experiences have people here had with FCA buy back program?
A few months after buying it new, my 1995 YJ required warranty replacement of the short block due to piston slap (i.e., incorrect cylinder boring). It still had its new car smell.

When the same problem began to reoccur a little while later, I lost all faith in the vehicle. It was sold back to Jeep via a different dealer.

You have my empathy, Hashem. Best of luck with the resolution process. Document everything as you go along.

Gravytheclown

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Willys
Wow I could have written this myself. Only difference would have been leaving Utah and being stuck north of Las Vegas. My Jeep is currently at Chapman in Henderson.
I never had any heating up issues before Friday, my tow truck driver and I figured out the transfer needed to be put in N as well as the main shifter when pulling it on to the flat bed.
Chapman thought they had it fixed this morning but after we drove 20 miles, the problem came back.
today they said it needs new motor. I have to wait until Monday when they open again to final approval and set up with rental car. I also need to have them ship it to me in California after it’s fixed. I don’t think a 6 hour high desert summer drive is the way to brake in a new motor. I am told all my expenses are going to be covered under “interrupted trip”
By the way I’m 5758 when it happened.
I will want my jeep back and keep positive about new motor. I still have 30,000 miles left on the warranty plus I got extended with Jeep and MBI with my insurance.
Tow truck time. Yeah the 1st tow company canceled without telling anyone, I called to verify they had room for my wife and I to ride along.
Tow company 2 was through Gieco. They leads us along 40 minutes at a time for 3 hours. Then we found tow company 3 that arrived when they said they would 1.5 hours after call made. Gieco covered that tow. Total side of road 6 hours. We broke down at 11:30 AM on I-15, with 104 OSAT. Got hooked at 5:30.
Thankfully this all happened at the end of our trip and not beginning or during.

Gravy

75BBE354-6823-4FE3-9E55-93EB01662B70.jpeg

75E30690-6335-4175-9B07-C780C06FF9B6.jpeg

OP
OP
Eich.el

Eich.el

First Name
Hashem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At what mileage did you do your first oil change?
Wow I could have written this myself. Only difference would have been leaving Utah and being stuck north of Las Vegas. My Jeep is currently at Chapman in Henderson.
I never had any heating up issues before Friday, my tow truck driver and I figured out the transfer needed to be put in N as well as the main shifter when pulling it on to the flat bed.
Chapman thought they had it fixed this morning but after we drove 20 miles, the problem came back.
today they said it needs new motor. I have to wait until Monday when they open again to final approval and set up with rental car. I also need to have them ship it to me in California after it’s fixed. I don’t think a 6 hour high desert summer drive is the way to brake in a new motor. I am told all my expenses are going to be covered under “interrupted trip”
By the way I’m 5758 when it happened.
I will want my jeep back and keep positive about new motor. I still have 30,000 miles left on the warranty plus I got extended with Jeep and MBI with my insurance.
Tow truck time. Yeah the 1st tow company canceled without telling anyone, I called to verify they had room for my wife and I to ride along.
Tow company 2 was through Gieco. They leads us along 40 minutes at a time for 3 hours. Then we found tow company 3 that arrived when they said they would 1.5 hours after call made. Gieco covered that tow. Total side of road 6 hours. We broke down at 11:30 AM on I-15, with 104 OSAT. Got hooked at 5:30.
Thankfully this all happened at the end of our trip and not beginning or during.

Gravy

Jeep Wrangler JL Toasted Engine at 9200 miles. Should I expect FCA to honor a buy back? 75E30690-6335-4175-9B07-C780C06FF9B6

Jeep Wrangler JL Toasted Engine at 9200 miles. Should I expect FCA to honor a buy back? 75E30690-6335-4175-9B07-C780C06FF9B6
Wow! Oddly similar situation. Best of luck to you. I can only imagine the deea to have it come back after just 20 miles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eich.el

Eich.el

First Name
Hashem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speaking from experience here... get an attorney if you want a buyback. FCA will drag things out for a very long time and then potentially deny the buyback.
Thanks for replying! Can I ask what your experience was with them?

OP
OP
Eich.el

Eich.el

First Name
Hashem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few months after buying it new, my 1995 YJ required warranty replacement of the short block due to piston slap (i.e., incorrect cylinder boring). It still had its new car smell.

When the same problem began to reoccur a little while later, I lost all faith in the vehicle. It was sold back to Jeep via a different dealer.

You have my empathy, Hashem. Best of luck with the resolution process. Document everything as you go along.
Can you elaborate on the documenting everything. Are there certain things you feel FCA would intentionally try to trip me up on to void a buy back?

OP
OP
Eich.el

Eich.el

First Name
Hashem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m on 3+ months on my dilemma with FCA / Stellantis, still no Jeep. Don’t expect much of anything from them. It’s brutal.
That is so disappointing.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Speaking from experience here... get an attorney if you want a buyback. FCA will drag things out for a very long time and then potentially deny the buyback.
Guess it depends on the state. In NJ, once you file and start the ball rolling there is no dragging it out. Don't bother with them anymore and let it run its course.
Sponsored