Sponsored

Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors?

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
As the title states, I'm just trying to understand what they hype is with half doors. I've watched plenty of videos of them being installed, having the tops removed, the plugs that go in the holes, etc. I get what they are. I get what they do.

And, while I can certainly understand that they look pretty cool from outside, I can't help but ask... when you're in the Jeep, is the experience without the top half of the door really $4k-5k worth of better? It just seems like a minor improvement compared to just rolling your window down on a regular door, but still too much lower door to be a happy middle ground between the standard doors and a tube door.

Honestly, what am I missing? Are they really that awesome/worth the price?
Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Had the factory half doors on my JKR (my JL has full doors) and they can be absolutely fantastic. Removing the material around the top half of the door opens it up way, way more than you think - definitely more than full doors with the window down. They're also pretty light for taking on/off. Off road, you get kind of the tube door experience, but without mud being tossed between tubes.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
You're losing the entire frame for the windows, plus a percentage of the door height. The difference actually feels pretty dramatic.

Now, I'm more of a "Sunrider for Hardtop flipped back and windows down" kind of guy. Don't need the Big Open experience. But for some people, it really pushes their enjoyment button. Really cool that we have so many options, isn't it?

PS: Jeep should offer half doors without full doors. They did this on the JK -- a $500 option. I think you'd see a lot more takers if they offered them this way on the JL.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
As the title states, I'm just trying to understand what they hype is with half doors. I've watched plenty of videos of them being installed, having the tops removed, the plugs that go in the holes, etc. I get what they are. I get what they do.

And, while I can certainly understand that they look pretty cool from outside, I can't help but ask... when you're in the Jeep, is the experience without the top half of the door really $4k-5k worth of better? It just seems like a minor improvement compared to just rolling your window down on a regular door, but still too much lower door to be a happy middle ground between the standard doors and a tube door.

Honestly, what am I missing? Are they really that awesome/worth the price?
Hey Lucas. I really think it comes down to preference. I’ve had tube doors doors also and enjoy riding that way as well, wife not so much lol. The open feel of no doors and tube doors is great with exception of everything in vehicle needs to be tied down or it is gone with little speed. The half doors contains items inside much better and definitely feels more open than just rolling windows down, both in arm rest height and back to front location for tall person. The rear is much more open. Here is quick comparison pic. For me personally I love them, but I can see people saying waste of money. I had them on my old TJ and knew when they came available for JL I would get them if I could. I have a set for my current 2018 (picked up on FB marketplace) and ordered a set with my MY22 order. Again, personal preference 👍🏻

AF8CA5FD-94A2-4828-AC54-A7D9D287E4FC.jpeg
2A390BC1-8107-4242-BFD9-DF47172C80C3.jpeg

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Ideally the best set up, depending where you live, is hard top & full doors for the colder months and soft top with half doors for the warmer months. The half doors give the Jeep a finished look vs just removing the doors completely.

I do agree the price for them is outrageous, however.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Hey Lucas. I really think it comes down to preference. I’ve had tube doors doors also and enjoy riding that way as well, wife not so much lol. The open feel of no doors and tube doors is great with exception of everything in vehicle needs to be tied down or it is gone with little speed. The half doors contains items inside much better and definitely feels more open than just rolling windows down, both in arm rest height and back to front location for tall person. The rear is much more open. Here is quick comparison pic. For me personally I love them, but I can see people saying waste of money. I had them on my old TJ and knew when they came available for JL I would get them if I could. I have a set for my current 2018 (picked up on FB marketplace) and ordered a set with my MY22 order. Again, personal preference 👍🏻

Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? 2A390BC1-8107-4242-BFD9-DF47172C80C3
Jeep Wrangler JL Honest Question: What's the big deal with half doors? 2A390BC1-8107-4242-BFD9-DF47172C80C3
Really beautiful Jeep, man. A++

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
There is massive difference in having the window rolled down versus frame removed on the half doors. I live in CO and basically run without windows from May-October or so. Only time they go in is when we are heading into the mountains. And that is just due to the wife. If it’s just me I leave them out regardless of speed.

I don’t like the look of tube doors and prefer a more complete and finished look which I get with the half doors. Plus not many people have them.

Coach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram Bighorn

AF8CA5FD-94A2-4828-AC54-A7D9D287E4FC.jpeg
2A390BC1-8107-4242-BFD9-DF47172C80C3.jpeg
I really like that look! Now I want a set! Are there after market versions that dont cost an arm and leg?

Sponsored

OP
OP
cafecito820

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler

Appreciate the well thought-out response! I have to say, that continuous line from the door top that carries perfectly all the way to the tailgate does look really nice vs having the door frame on.

Great looking rig!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the well thought-out response! I have to say, that continuous line from the door top that carries perfectly all the way to the tailgate does look really nice vs having the door frame on.

Great looking rig!
Thanks for kind words 👍🏻. I will also add, the half doors weigh nothing. On and off is super simple. Since I already had door storage solution for full doors (ARCs), I had to use alternative for half doors since I picked them up later 🤦🏼‍♂️

FC49D81D-CEA1-49E6-96CA-70CDC99F819B.jpeg

A4E31C96-C421-4A78-9515-DF4402CAD8B8.jpeg

951BCCDF-4453-4CD8-B8DF-DA7DF2179EA0.jpeg