First time jeep owner - worst dealership I have ever dealt with

savageice33

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Waited a week to post about one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a New Car Dealership. May 5th went to Cherry Hill Jeep / Chrysler etc in Cherry Hill NJ to look at new 2018 4 door Jeeps. My sales guy was great, went looking for the one I wanted, didn't have it on lot, but found one close. I purchased side rails as the JL 2018 didn't come with them and had them installed at the dealership. This whole process lasted less than 3 hours, deal done was set to pick up vehicle after work Monday afternoon. Now the sales guy they had me with on Sat who worked out the deal was going on vacation so they would get me with someone else on Monday. Comes Monday at 4:30 go in to sign paperwork and actually see vehicle I am purchasing. Sales manager puts me with a new guy who knows next to nothing about jeeps at all, plus my paperwork was not ready to sign. So I actually had to ask to see the vehicle before I would sign anything as wanted to make sure it was the one we worked out a deal for. They pull vehicle up, my step rails are on it and it looks good, but I see there are no led lights (new sales guy says this version didn't have it on the slip he showed me) he actually told me I could change out the bulbs at home later on), when I specifically told sales guy I was looking for LED, power locks and power windows didn't matter but wanted the LEDs. So I am a little bitter, go sign the paperwork and everything looks good so I as finance guy will they call up my insurance and change vehicles. New sales guys calls my insurance but was fumbling about so I ask for phone and handle everything ( guy didn't even know fax # so they could send over binder). Next thing I know he says thanks pushes keys over to my side of table and says good bye. I was not shown even one aspect of the vehicle (having bought my last 3 vehicles from Nissan I can say they treated me 1000 times better there). No walk through of the features, no set up of the phone / bluetooth, no service department intro, nothing I was basically looking around when I got in the car thinking wow not even a handshake from the sales manager / owner. Driving up to my first stop light got an awaking when the car turned off and I was like oh great, didn't know about the auto shut off ( actually pulled over to side and pulled out owners manual about this).

So I get email from Jeep about my purchase and I rate the vehicle great and the original sales guy good, but the dealership horrible. Get a call this past Friday from sales manager to ask why the horrible rating, so I do my explanation and he says well if you would like to bring the vehicle back we can go over all the features with you and if I can have Jeep send you another survey as this affect the sales guy that sold you the car. I said I'm basically will figure out anything I need to know know and talk to other jeep owners for any other issues that arrive, his response well can we send you another survey and you change the answers, my response was to him I don't think so I was truthful in the survey and your dealership has done nothing to change my mind except tell me to drive back there so they can go over the vehicle when that should have been done when I purchased it. Now maybe if he offered to send out one of his jeep guys to my house or work, I would have done a new survey as that would have been a sincere response to the problem but that was not even offered.

Would not recommend this dealership to anyone I know and have heard some other stories from a few ppl that are very similar to mine. Loving the Wrangler JL so far - have to get some aftermarket parts for it -(will go to another dealer to order those Mopar parts)
jeep1.jpg
Sponsored

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, dealerships are unnecessary middlemen. Those surveys count towards their commission. I ripped the dealer apart doing one after having my jeep serviced and the owner called my cell threatened me and my business in not so many words and banned me from the dealership he got from his daddy. Also a NJ dealer

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm not sure why you signed anything if the Jeep wasn't what you wanted. Never be afraid to walk. Hell, the first Jeep dealer I went to (went back twice to negotiate) treated me like I was bothering them. Went to a different dealership, hammered out the deal then went back to the first dealers sales manager to tell him I bought a Jeep, and why I didn't buy one from him.

He still didn't give a f***

Some dealers are better than others. Buy from the better dealers.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
LED package only available on Sahara and Rubicon models for the new JL Wrangler which is sad because LED is available on Sport JK Wranglers for 2018. Not even offered on the Sport JL.

Sounds like maybe you would have received better service from your original salesman. Since you dealt with a second salesman they probably had to split the commission so the second one didn’t want to spend too much time with you.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Yup, dealerships are unnecessary middlemen. Those surveys count towards their commission. I ripped the dealer apart doing one after having my jeep serviced and the owner called my cell threatened me and my business in not so many words and banned me from the dealership he got from his daddy. Also a NJ dealer
Snowflakes bleed into the car industry. Not being able to handle a well-deserved negative survey review is pathetic.

Should have told him to man up.

Dealers are scum. This will be my first time purchasing a vehicle from a dealership, and I'm not excited for that.

Tesla can now sell vehicles directly in my state. I hope other manufacturers eventually follow suit.

Sponsored

Christ_on_A_Lut

First Name
Lut
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Cherry Hill Dodge is a known bad apple in the area. They has all the classic bad dealer things with them. Can't wait for amazon to take over the car buying experience.

edit: The last experience I had with them they simply declined to preform warranty work on my JGC. Jeep corporate's suggestion was another dealer, so i went to cherry hill where they declined to do the warranty work.

iWantJLU

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord LX
Waited a week to post about one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a New Car Dealership. May 5th went to Cherry Hill Jeep / Chrysler etc in Cherry Hill NJ to look at new 2018 4 door Jeeps. My sales guy was great, went looking for the one I wanted, didn't have it on lot, but found one close. I purchased side rails as the JL 2018 didn't come with them and had them installed at the dealership. This whole process lasted less than 3 hours, deal done was set to pick up vehicle after work Monday afternoon. Now the sales guy they had me with on Sat who worked out the deal was going on vacation so they would get me with someone else on Monday. Comes Monday at 4:30 go in to sign paperwork and actually see vehicle I am purchasing. Sales manager puts me with a new guy who knows next to nothing about jeeps at all, plus my paperwork was not ready to sign. So I actually had to ask to see the vehicle before I would sign anything as wanted to make sure it was the one we worked out a deal for. They pull vehicle up, my step rails are on it and it looks good, but I see there are no led lights (new sales guy says this version didn't have it on the slip he showed me) he actually told me I could change out the bulbs at home later on), when I specifically told sales guy I was looking for LED, power locks and power windows didn't matter but wanted the LEDs. So I am a little bitter, go sign the paperwork and everything looks good so I as finance guy will they call up my insurance and change vehicles. New sales guys calls my insurance but was fumbling about so I ask for phone and handle everything ( guy didn't even know fax # so they could send over binder). Next thing I know he says thanks pushes keys over to my side of table and says good bye. I was not shown even one aspect of the vehicle (having bought my last 3 vehicles from Nissan I can say they treated me 1000 times better there). No walk through of the features, no set up of the phone / bluetooth, no service department intro, nothing I was basically looking around when I got in the car thinking wow not even a handshake from the sales manager / owner. Driving up to my first stop light got an awaking when the car turned off and I was like oh great, didn't know about the auto shut off ( actually pulled over to side and pulled out owners manual about this).

So I get email from Jeep about my purchase and I rate the vehicle great and the original sales guy good, but the dealership horrible. Get a call this past Friday from sales manager to ask why the horrible rating, so I do my explanation and he says well if you would like to bring the vehicle back we can go over all the features with you and if I can have Jeep send you another survey as this affect the sales guy that sold you the car. I said I'm basically will figure out anything I need to know know and talk to other jeep owners for any other issues that arrive, his response well can we send you another survey and you change the answers, my response was to him I don't think so I was truthful in the survey and your dealership has done nothing to change my mind except tell me to drive back there so they can go over the vehicle when that should have been done when I purchased it. Now maybe if he offered to send out one of his jeep guys to my house or work, I would have done a new survey as that would have been a sincere response to the problem but that was not even offered.

Would not recommend this dealership to anyone I know and have heard some other stories from a few ppl that are very similar to mine. Loving the Wrangler JL so far - have to get some aftermarket parts for it -(will go to another dealer to order those Mopar parts)
jeep1.jpg

That was terrible service all around! I worked at a couple of dealerships and if i had given this type of service to anyone i would of probably been fired! The sad part is that the manager didn't even do his job with the follow up call, if they really wanted a better rating they would of offered to have the car washed for you and given complimentary service such as oil changes or tire rotations. Then given you the proper walk around and setup afterwards. All he cared about what is dealership's image and not the correct service. On top of that the salesman wasn't knowledgeable on his on product and mislead you about the LED headlights. Id never go back to that dealership if i were you. Other than that congratulations on you new JL, hope you enjoy it

sfadchi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Bright White JLUR
Occupation
Corporate Recruiter
Next time go to Global Jeep in North Plainfield, NJ. Rob Kantor treated me awesome! No pressure and great follow up!

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Besides the LED issue (which you signed off anyways), I don't see the problem? I want to get in and out of the dealership ASAP, I don't want to shake 100 hands, I don't want to make friends, I want my keys and leave. I've already read the manual(s), know how to use the vehicle, and probably know more about Wranglers than anyone at the dealership, so I don't need an intro.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
I had the same experience , I believe all Dodge , Jeep, Chrysler dealerships are like that. Bought my wife a Durango R/T same threw the keys and said "have a great day". Same scenario with my Jeep grabbed my keys and walked out.

I remember when purchasing my tacoma new and my wife's lexus they paired the Bluetooth went over every option you can think off and even scheduled my first service appointment when I took the delivery. White glove experience.

Nope not FCA my friend.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I remember when purchasing my tacoma new and my wife's lexus they paired the Bluetooth went over every option you can think off and even scheduled my first service appointment when I took the delivery. White glove experience.

Nope not FCA my friend.
It seems from the original post and from my experience, that FCA is trying to pressure the dealers to provide the type of service you described. That's why after the bad survey the dealer wanted to fix the complaints and get a revised survey. When I picked up my JL at an out of town dealer, he introduced me to a worker in the service department as we walked by to get the jeep. I almost forgot about it until I filled out the post-purchase survey and there was a question regarding being introduced to someone in the service department. There are questions regarding pairing Bluetooth and explaining options and there seems to be some pressure for dealers to address the items on the survey.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
It’s not an FCA thing. It's the individual dealers. I have had nothing but a great experience at my CDJRf dealership in Wilmington, NC. My JLU was my third Wrangler from them. Service Dept has been great, too.
Thanks to this forum and online reviews I already knew the features of the Jeep, but still let my salesman show me everything. Finance was great, too. Everything was already worked out when I went to get my JLU - factory order so there was time - and I was in and out in about an hour. That included the time for the salesman to show me how to use the Jeep. (I also taught him some things, too.)
Your mileage may vary.

I had the same experience , I believe all Dodge , Jeep, Chrysler dealerships are like that. Bought my wife a Durango R/T same threw the keys and said "have a great day". Same scenario with my Jeep grabbed my keys and walked out.

Nope not FCA my friend.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
The surveys affect a lot of things about the dealership:

FCA allocations
FCA financing specials
FCA bonuses
(and most importantly) FCA dealer licensing

Bad surveys being the numbers down and if there are enough bad surveys, said dealer may not get the next new hotness that will sell like hot cakes, and may be required to take the models no one wants or that have very little profit for FCA or the dealership.

It seems from the original post and from my experience, that FCA is trying to pressure the dealers to provide the type of service you described. That's why after the bad survey the dealer wanted to fix the complaints and get a revised survey. When I picked up my JL at an out of town dealer, he introduced me to a worker in the service department as we walked by to get the jeep. I almost forgot about it until I filled out the post-purchase survey and there was a question regarding being introduced to someone in the service department. There are questions regarding pairing Bluetooth and explaining options and there seems to be some pressure for dealers to address the items on the survey.

scottv63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kia Sorento
Next time go to Global Jeep in North Plainfield, NJ. Rob Kantor treated me awesome! No pressure and great follow up!
I had dealt with Global for my new Wrangler back in 2013. It went well and they treated me well. When the Jeep arrived it didn't have deep tinted windows as specified in my order.

Instead of waiting for another order, I accepted their offer to have the windows tinted locally. They did and it looked great.