Worth waiting for 2019 MY?

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
I think that the idea that there will be "bugs" with the new JLs is overblown. I had a 2007 Wrangler when they went to new body style.
Err, then you remember the rain of recalls and TSB's that happened shortly thereafter too. The 2007 wasn't a disaster, but it was pretty rough. For example, my friend with the 2007 always had problems with the electronic stability control kicking in all the time and his trackbar bracket ripped off of his axle due to poor weld quality. None of that happened on my 2012. Which, however, had the then-new Pentastar with *its* miriad problems, from a short-lived water pump to tappy valve lash adjusters due to mis-aligned bores to a bad driver's side cylinder head, and then there's the sand casting problem that a lot of people had with sand from the head castings clogging their heater cores...

Of course, all of that got fixed. But if you can wait for the 2020 models, you'll likely have a much more pleasant time of it.
Sponsored

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Err, then you remember the rain of recalls and TSB's that happened shortly thereafter too. The 2007 wasn't a disaster, but it was pretty rough. For example, my friend with the 2007 always had problems with the electronic stability control kicking in all the time and his trackbar bracket ripped off of his axle due to poor weld quality. None of that happened on my 2012. Which, however, had the then-new Pentastar with *its* miriad problems, from a short-lived water pump to tappy valve lash adjusters due to mis-aligned bores to a bad driver's side cylinder head, and then there's the sand casting problem that a lot of people had with sand from the head castings clogging their heater cores...

Of course, all of that got fixed. But if you can wait for the 2020 models, you'll likely have a much more pleasant time of it.
Wow, wait for a 2020. I'm having a hard time waiting a few months for my order to come in. Lucky for me I trade my cars in every two years. As I enjoy the heck out of my 2018 for the next two years, I'll have the confidence of knowing that my 2020 will have all the bugs worked out. Lol

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Man I have to be honest with you, the more I drive my JL the more I absolutely love it! I now have 3500 miles on it and have even taken a long trip to Florida and back. Been in the shop twice for warranty repairs now corrected and she is perfect in all respects. It is fully loaded and has every option I could possibly want. There is no way I would have waited for a 2019 as I just plain love this one too much.

In closing I gotta say I love the guys calling us early adopters, it's really that they have a need to convince themselves they aren't missing anything by waiting. Well, I have something they don't have, ownership of a JK and a JL. And, I can tell you those that wait are absolutely missing out so jump in the water is great!
Is there really that much of a lifestyle differerence between a JL and a JK?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Is there really that much of a lifestyle differerence between a JL and a JK?
I enjoyed driving my JK, I love just sitting in my JL.

Open top experience is the same. I put my top all the way down all the time now as I don't have have to fuss with those shitty zippers. So lifestyle is better as I am fully topless way more often instead of just sunrider due to the simplicity in dropping the top fully.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

Open top experience is the same. I put my top all the way down all the time now as I don't have have to fuss with those shitty zippers. So lifestyle is better as I am fully topless way more often instead of just sunrider due to the simplicity in dropping the top fully.
I’ve had no roof or doors at all for a couple weeks now so there is no zippers to worry about.
I just want a heated steering wheel and backup camera.

Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I’m saving my pennies and waiting for the Diesel.

drbsp

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition
Lifestyle no, vehicle yes.
Pretty darn close to lifestyle difference as I save a ton of time putting my soft top d

Huge difference

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
They say the first and last year models are the best buys. Often times in the first year the manufacturer will "over equip" the first model year to ensure sales, when I say over equip, as the model years progress certain items get removed without any acknowledgement by the manufacture, it could just be small little items or it could be items that just cost too much in the long run to keep as standard, so they will become optional with a package (to help sale slow demand options), as far as the last model year, it usually has all the upgrades and improvements for the lifecycle of the vehicle, only drawback is a new model is right around the corner.

But for a Jeep Wrangler, the aftermarket is so strong that you can pretty-much buy all the upgrades and keep up with the latest accessories...

nola22

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 JKU willys
Im holding out for a few reasons, chief among them is the horrible wind noise that is now a known problem with a very complicated trial and error fix based on the repair documents I have seen (multiple potential failure points of seals, etc). Of the 4 JLs I have test driven, 3 of them were as loud at 40 mph as my JK at 85 mph.

I think running JK and JL concurrently on the same line for a model year run was a mistake on Jeeps part. Not known for their assembly quality they overcomplicated the manufacturing process beyond their core competency by running 2 supply chains, assembly processes, etc. Over the years I have bough many jeeps, JK and WK2s. Every one of them had assembly issues that should have been caught by QC: major misaligned body panels, paint blemishes, etc.

I will never expect their quality to be at the top (its their product/design that keeps my coming back), but that being the case I will wait until the factory is fully tooled and focus on the JL platform only. Since that basically just occurred might as well wait the few months until the 19 model. All else being equal, that should make for a slightly better chance of higher quality.

Of course, there is always the special editions as well to wait for.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
They say the first and last year models are the best buys. Often times in the first year the manufacturer will "over equip" the first model year to ensure sales, when I say over equip, as the model years progress certain items get removed without any acknowledgement by the manufacture, it could just be small little items or it could be items that just cost too much in the long run to keep as standard, so they will become optional with a package (to help sale slow demand options), as far as the last model year, it usually has all the upgrades and improvements for the lifecycle of the vehicle, only drawback is a new model is right around the corner.

But for a Jeep Wrangler, the aftermarket is so strong that you can pretty-much buy all the upgrades and keep up with the latest accessories...
Well maybe not the last year. Usually the last year model goes to the back of the bus when it comes to design improvements. There’s usually no budget for them they’re essentially there to just consume all the excess parts from the old build while the new build gets it’s kinks worked out . (Anyone notice all the 20 different limited edition JK’s over the last year? That was to consume the JK Mopar parts bin) Quality slips a bit because all the attention moves on to the newer widgets that people are buzzing about.

Sponsored

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Tomorrow is 133 days or 19 weeks, since my order was placed. My case manager says it is built and released but he is the only one. Both tracking services and my dealer still have it in D1. Maybe July or August I will be in my new 2 door. I would bet the backlog of 2 doors plays a role in the 19my production

Sftdyna0326$

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LR4
A late production 18 will most likely be ringed out as far as issues we have heard about! On that note if they were going to make me wait that long either I would expect a huge discount or may actually wait of a 19

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
hey everyone,

I currently have my order set and my dealer has my $1000 deposit, but I am delayed due to wanting the Ocean Blue painted hard top. At this point I will be most likely waiting another 2 months AT THE LEAST.

Is it worth it to hold off to get the BSG with the V6 in 2019?

Will Ocean Blue even be available next year?
OK, so order in August/September and wait another 93 days if you want a 2-door. Order now!

RRAGES

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara
Man I have to be honest with you, the more I drive my JL the more I absolutely love it! I now have 3500 miles on it and have even taken a long trip to Florida and back. Been in the shop twice for warranty repairs now corrected and she is perfect in all respects. It is fully loaded and has every option I could possibly want. There is no way I would have waited for a 2019 as I just plain love this one too much.

In closing I gotta say I love the guys calling us early adopters, it's really that they have a need to convince themselves they aren't missing anything by waiting. Well, I have something they don't have, ownership of a JK and a JL. And, I can tell you those that wait are absolutely missing out so jump in the water is great!
Almost 5000 on my Sahara JLU with zero problems. Superior to every vehicle I’ve ever owned - and that is a bunch.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I plan to wait for a 2019.

Why not wait for a few extra months, at this point? I guess if there are no new features you want, and you're happy with the deal you can get now, go for it.

I am excited about Advanced Safety Group, so a 2019er makes sense for me. Who knows what other new features will be available.

As a leaser, I'm also hoping residuals climb back up for 2019s when they are brand new vs. where 2018s are now that they're more than half way through a model year.

I have two 2018 VINs I'm tracking as custom orders, but already talked with my dealer and he understands why a 2018 no longer makes sense for me, and is fine with waiting until 2019.
Sponsored