Xtreme Recon Questions!

FryGuyTime

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Hello all! I have a a JLURXR that should be getting delivered in the next month or so and I have some questions that I'm hoping someone will have answers to. I plan on making some upgrades and running 37s, I also offroad frequently.

1st - Can I run 37s on the stock wheels without rubbing? Im unsure of what the back spacing is. I've seen somewhere that said you can run 37s with the beadlock rings (which I do plan on using) since it makes the wheels a bit wider
2nd - If I go up to a 3.5 in. lift will I need to replace the driveshafts? I cant really find anywhere that says if the driveshafts are upgraded/longer at all
3rd - Can I mount a JK bumper onto the JL? I currently have a JKU and would love to keep my front bumper and put it on the JLU if possible.
4th - I think that Im looking at getting the Metal Cloak 3.5" GC kit. Will I need to get new shocks or will the stock ones work until I decide to upgrade them?

TLDR: Can I run 37s on the stock wheels and will a JK front bumper fit on a JL? What all do I need to upgrade to run the MC 3.5" GC lift kit?
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
OP
OP

FryGuyTime

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Worst case, DV8 sells a set of spacers that will make them work.
Thats good to know. Do you have any shocks youd recommend? Im currently running falcons on my JKU and they arent terrible, but id like to try something else.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thats good to know. Do you have any shocks youd recommend? Im currently running falcons on my JKU and they arent terrible, but id like to try something else.
You'll definitely need new ones. I've got a 4xe, but my current ride height with a MC 3.5" would be riding on full extension on your XR shocks.

Are you doing a driveshaft? If not, you need to stay under 29" extended length in front.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Here's some shock options for you using @AnnDee4444 's spreadsheet. We've been happy with the Bilstein 5100s.

Note, the 5160s, and both MC options will need a new front driveshaft. Also, these will need to be adjusted if you decide to use either of MC's shock brackets (top drop or lower offset). I used a 2" bump (which I'm guessing is a half inch or so more than your XR extended bumps). Depending on setup you may need 3" of total bump.

I left off the high end Fox and King stuff, but most of it will require a DS.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon Questions! 1653075146483

OP
OP

FryGuyTime

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Are you doing a driveshaft? If not, you need to stay under 29" extended length in front.
I wasnt sure if itd need a new driveshaft or not. I didnt know if the XR came with different driveshafts since its already lift and has larger tires. I'll upgrade it if I need to, I just didnt know if i needed to

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I wasnt sure if itd need a new driveshaft or not. I didnt know if the XR came with different driveshafts since its already lift and has larger tires. I'll upgrade it if I need to, I just didnt know if i needed to
It's not drivshaft length, it's the size and joints. As far as I've seen it's the same configuration as standard.

OP
OP

FryGuyTime

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Here's some shock options for you using @AnnDee4444 's spreadsheet. We've been happy with the Bilstein 5100s.

Note, the 5160s, and both MC options will need a new front driveshaft. Also, these will need to be adjusted if you decide to use either of MC's shock brackets (top drop or lower offset). I used a 2" bump (which I'm guessing is a half inch or so more than your XR extended bumps). Depending on setup you may need 3" of total bump.

I left off the high end Fox and King stuff, but most of it will require a DS.

Jeep Wrangler JL Xtreme Recon Questions! 1653075146483
As for shocks, I was looking at doing some Fox 2.5s through Accutune. But the price tag isnt quite something that I'm a fan of. LOL

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
As for shocks, I was looking at doing some Fox 2.5s through Accutune. But the price tag isnt quite something that I'm a fan of. LOL
Looks like the 3.5-4"s will be cutting it close, but should work at 28.5" extended. 4.5-6s, definitely need a DS.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
You will not be disappointed. I have them. The tuning is spot on. Transforms the ride.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Why did you get the XR package if you are going to upgrade the tires and lift anyway?

OP
OP

FryGuyTime

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Why did you get the XR package if you are going to upgrade the tires and lift anyway?
because i dont have to regear and i get stronger tire carrier/hinge reinforcement, beadlock wheels, better brakes, upgraded front axle, and i can just sell the takeoff stuff and basically pay for majority of these upgrades im gonna do. Plus I hate KO2s, so they arent staying even if i dont go 37s

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
because i dont have to regear and i get stronger tire carrier/hinge reinforcement, beadlock wheels, better brakes, upgraded front axle, and i can just sell the takeoff stuff and basically pay for majority of these upgrades im gonna do. Plus I hate KO2s, so they arent staying even if i dont go 37s
4.10s handle 37s just fine, the Mopar tire carrier doesn’t support the gate hinges, the beadlock wheels aren’t even bead locks without investing hundreds of extra dollars on the rings, are heavy, and have a terrible offset, the brakes are not noticeably different, and no matter what is different in the axle wall thickness or knuckles, the weak link is the FAD which will break 1st no matter if you have the stock Rubicon axle or the XR axle. Save the $4,000 to invest towards your real lift, real wheels, real tires, real tire carrier, and real HD front axle. Adding the $4,000 to your MSRP just makes your sales tax go up when you buy it and your future registration cost more each year when you renew it.
Sponsored