E15? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
It literally says in the first sentence DO NOT use E-15.
Is it more than and equal to E-15? :D

I take it as don't use E15 gas. When I read the manual, I see "DO NOT use E-85.....or gas containing E-15. I think there's a bit of confusion because they are lumping E-15 with "greater than 15% ethanol". But we are all adults and can make our own decisions.

For me, E15 and 87 octane is a very little price difference. I don't know what it is, but it's not enough for me to say 'let me try it'. Now if that price difference is $20 per fillup and I'm filling up once a week, then I may be whistling a different tune.
Sponsored

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

I'll offer an additional perspective because why not.

The EPA defines E-15 as more than 10% ethanol and less than 15% ethanol. Just so we're all clear.

So, as @Chocolate Thunder is saying, I believe the spirit of what Jeep is implying is that anything up to E-15 is okay for the engine. Though I have to disagree with his assessment of the language, sadly.

However to @Jank4AU 's point, Jeep has literally said "Do not use...gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15)" citing the proper name "E-15" in parentheses, which implies that it is an example of the gasoline they do not want you to use.

All this to say that I think whoever was writing the manual messed up, and that E-15 is okay.

Discuss.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'll offer an additional perspective because why not.

The EPA defines E-15 as more than 10% ethanol and less than 15% ethanol. Just so we're all clear.

So, as @Chocolate Thunder is saying, I believe the spirit of what Jeep is implying is that anything up to E-15 is okay for the engine. Though I have to disagree with his assessment of the language, sadly.

However to @Jank4AU 's point, Jeep has literally said "Do not use...gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15)" citing the proper name "E-15" in parentheses, which implies that it is an example of the gasoline they do not want you to use.

All this to say that I think whoever was writing the manual messed up, and that E-15 is okay.

Discuss.
No. The gasoline that is prohibited is gasoline that contains more than 15% ethanol. Agreed? The parenthetical E-15 is not that gasoline. It is the maximum ethanol content gasoline that is allowed. Given that the name of it is E-15, it’s fairly clear to me (but not to everyone apparently) that it contains up to 15 percent ethanol but not more than that. I used reading comprehension and context clues that Mrs. Ewing taught me about.

But then again, the internet is down at my workplace and I’m working from home and day drinking. So maybe I’ve got a different perspective?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
No. The gasoline that is prohibited is gasoline that contains more than 15% ethanol. Agreed? The parenthetical E-15 is not that gasoline. It is the maximum ethanol content gasoline that is allowed. Given that the name of it is E-15, it’s fairly clear to me (but not to everyone apparently) that it contains up to 15 percent ethanol but not more than that. I used reading comprehension and context clues that Mrs. Ewing taught me about.

But then again, the internet is down at my workplace and I’m working from home and day drinking. So maybe I’ve got a different perspective?
I'm sober, and I can concur with your assesment.

Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe

They should have said, "gasoline up to 15% ethanol, such as E-15, is okay." If it can misconstrued by half of this audience then it was poorly written. @Chocolate Thunder, you're a bit of a gearhead so we would expect you to fully understand; however, you're much more informed than many Jeepers. I wish I were day-drinking with you!
Jeep Wrangler JL E15? [WARNING: NO POLITICS] day drinkin

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
They should have said, "gasoline up to 15% ethanol, such as E-15, is okay." If it can misconstrued by half of this audience then it was poorly written. @Chocolate Thunder, you're a bit of a gearhead so we would expect you to fully understand; however, you're much more informed than many Jeepers. I wish I were day-drinking with you!
Jeep Wrangler JL E15? [WARNING: NO POLITICS] day drinkin
Fair enough.

And to @El Zilcho i apologize because I reread my posts toward what you said and it’s very snarky and I came across like a total dickhead. Sorry about that. I’m still right, but it’s not necessary to be a twat about it. I’m going to chalk that up to experimenting drinking stuff I’ve never drank before.

But I think I invented a new drink.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Fair enough.

And to @El Zilcho i apologize because I reread my posts toward what you said and it’s very snarky and I came across like a total dickhead. Sorry about that. I’m still right, but it’s not necessary to be a twat about it. I’m going to chalk that up to experimenting drinking stuff I’ve never drank before.

But I think I invented a new drink.
No problem :) I forgot to put a smile in my first post. My point was first sentence in the manual is very poorly worded.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Yes. Perfectly safe for your engine per the manual, science, and personal experience. Reduces fuel mileage slightly.
I have ran 4 tanks (Almost 1300 miles) of it in my '21 3.6 with no adverse effects. Figured I guineapig while under warranty and with the Owners manual stating its safe.

To the "bad mileage crowd"... its as easy as backing off the pedal 5-8mph to recoup the difference. Besides, the journey is more enjoyable that the destination.

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Right, just to be clear I absolutely agree that Jeep is saying E-15 is okay. Or than anything up to E-15 is okay.

Regarding the academic side of the debate, I have to disagree with you.

Parentheses are meant to convey additional information to support the sentence, however the sentence needs to be able to stand on it's own, without the use of said parentheses. So, if we remove the parenthetical, we are left with "Do not use...gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol".

Which means that whatever goes in the parentheses needs to support that statement. And we know that "E-15" would not support that statement because they've used the word "more". So instead, they should've said "Do not use...gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15 is okay)."

Again, I'm not arguing that Jeep intends to allow E-15 in the engine, I'm just explaining that they made a grammatical mistake in their use of a parenthetical, which has led to this confusion. And if you don't believe me, please look up what the point of a parentheses is.

Sponsored

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Right, just to be clear I absolutely agree that Jeep is saying E-15 is okay. Or than anything up to E-15 is okay.

Parentheses are meant to convey additional information to support the sentence, however the sentence needs to be able to stand on it's own, without the use of said parentheses. So, if we remove the parenthetical, we are left with "Do not use...gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol".

Which means that whatever goes in the parentheses needs to support that statement. And we know that "E-15" would not support that statement because they've used the word "more". So instead, they should've said "Do not use...gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15 is okay)."

Again, I'm not arguing that Jeep intends to allow E-15 in the engine, I'm just explaining that they made a grammatical mistake in their use of a parenthetical, which has led to this confusion. And if you don't believe me, please look up what the point of a parentheses is.
I'll always be wrong no matter what I say (just ask my wife).

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm lumping this thread in with that long drawn out one about soft top sunrider position with the windows in that that D-Bag Rhenauld (or what ever his banned name was) became a hill he died on.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

You are correct sir. I fully understand what’s being conveyed because I already know that. But if I had no clue about it, I can see that the way it’s communicated can be understood differently, much less clearly than it is in my mind.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Everyone must use parenthesis in their posts moving forward (this is the way). By the way, @Chocolate Thunder - care to share your new drink recipe? Looks like I'll have some time on my hands this afternoon grilling burgers, etc.
Sponsored