Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So, I took my 2020 into my "local" dealership to start the warranty process for correcting the corrosion on 8 of my 12 hinges (hood, doors,tailgate). They took pics and sent them in, all was documented on my receipt. After 6 weeks and no call back, I called and they told me that the corrosion correction will be covered under warranty, BUT, it needs to done through the dealership I purchased it from.

Anyone know if this is true???
Got this back from JeepCares:

"That certainly sounds frustrating and we thank you for reaching out. To clarify, warranty work can be performed at any dealership of a customers choosing. However, the dealerships are independently owned and operated, so they are not required to perform said repairs." and goes on to give me a phone # to Jeep warranty department.

I'll call and see what they say, but seems like some slippery wording. Sucks cuz local Jeep dealer is part of a regional Auto Sales Group (multi-brand dealers) that has a legit body shop. Very disappointing.

Also, a few months back I posted about this mess and planned to just live with it as it was sorta minor around 8 hinges, but there's no doubt it's spreading. I know it's aesthetic, but...
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
JK’s won’t have the issue as their doors aren’t aluminum. How many miles on your JLR? Do you drive it in bad weather? I believe every Jeep has the problem or will have it. It just depends how small the current bubbling is
It is a 2018, with 18,000 miles on it. As for bad weather, it is in the Phoenix AZ heat.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
So I did my spring detailing and upon close inspection the bubbling paint is starting on the tailgate and passenger door hinges. Nothing on the driver's side....yet. If I recall the paint warranty is what, 3 years? If so I'm going to wait a bit to have mine taken care of. I figure I'll let the driver's door start too that way they can do all three doors at the same time.

Just out of curiosity has anyone come up with any type of gasket to put between the hinges and the door panels to keep this from happening again after the repairs are done?

Just found this, it will be interesting to see what happens - https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2021/jeep-wrangler-corrosion-warranty-lawsuit.shtml

apeas2

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK, 2018 Ctsv
2019 Rubicon is bubbling at hinges..WTF?????!!!!! Can anyone confirm at the plant that changes have been made to production to prevent this from happening again?

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
2019 Rubicon is bubbling at hinges..WTF?????!!!!! Can anyone confirm at the plant that changes have been made to production to prevent this from happening again?
2021 models appear to have a gasket between the hinge and door. No gasket visible on the tailgate or hood hinges tho

Resized_20220501_210942.jpeg

Sponsored

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Not sure what has been done, seeing gaskets.. But I had bubbling on door panels not near hinges... So it is not just a hinge problem

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Took my 19 JLUR to dealer Where I purchased it yesterday. Took photos of 4 doors and tailgate. Almost every hinge has the issue and the bottom of the passenger door also has the issue. They said they have been doing a bunch of these and should here back from Jeep within a week. The typical repair is new hinges and painting of doors. I asked if that meant they remove everything from outside (instead of masking around mirror and handle) and was told yes. Im not confident the repair will last any longer. Why should it?
I also have 49k miles. Is this covered under corrosion? How long. Is that warranty?

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Took my 19 JLUR to dealer Where I purchased it yesterday. Took photos of 4 doors and tailgate. Almost every hinge has the issue and the bottom of the passenger door also has the issue. They said they have been doing a bunch of these and should here back from Jeep within a week. The typical repair is new hinges and painting of doors. I asked if that meant they remove everything from outside (instead of masking around mirror and handle) and was told yes. Im not confident the repair will last any longer. Why should it?
I also have 49k miles. Is this covered under corrosion? How long. Is that warranty?
I see you're in NJ - which dealership did you go to? From your post, it seems they are willing to work with the customers on this issue.

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I bought from suresky in goshen ny. I took it to them. About 6 months ago I had an oil changed at Ramsey and they don’t have nor do they work with a body shop.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
2021 models appear to have a gasket between the hinge and door. No gasket visible on the tailgate or hood hinges tho

Jeep Wrangler JL Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges Resized_20220501_210942
I’m not seeing a gasket? Only unpainted section under the hinge.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I bought from suresky in goshen ny. I took it to them. About 6 months ago I had an oil changed at Ramsey and they don’t have nor do they work with a body shop.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'll give them a ring and see what they have to say. I'm about an hour out from there, but if they'll do the work, I'd be happy to bring my JL up there. Both of my doors have some slight bubbling around the hinges. It's an '18 with 20K miles.

Tski

First Name
Tonia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Maybe it’s time for a class action lawsuit since jeep and it’s dealers do not want to remedy this know issue.
It seems there is one now. All of my hinges, my hood and two doors are bubbling.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
It seems there is one now. All of my hinges, my hood and two doors are bubbling.
Any idea when the bubbling started ?

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I just noticed it last week but definitely over the winter. I hand wash it all the time and it wasn't visible this fall
Just wondering I have 19 JLUR I haven't noticed any yet. If I do it's going down the road to the next owner. Don't get me wrong I love my Jeep but I've been through hell with it from day one. This is my 1st Jeep I always wanted one but I'm not impressed with the reliability and quality .
Sponsored