Sponsored

How many miles/kms before your first windshield chip or break?

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Some lucky Jeep owners can go years without taking a nasty rock hit to the windshield, while others get dinged on the way out of the dealership 😬

What has your experience been?!
Sponsored

DGT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel, Ford Excursion,Volvo XC70
My windshield took a rock hit and then cracked beyond repair within an hour of taking ownership last month. And, it was Gorilla glass. $400 down the drain immediately. And no warranty (even though they say it will be replaced once)

AlexM90

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 2021
4,000km from a rock chip. Non gorilla glass. Replaced with an aftermarket windshield for $280 CAD and it's holding up well 6,000km later. I don't have the little jeep in the corner anymore though.

Also, I don't have adaptive cruise control so it's pricier if you have that option.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
My wifes 2019 got hit by a rock and cracked when it was being driven the 200 miles from the dealer that had to the dealer we purchased from. Our dealer replaced it with OEM windshield. Since then on the 3rd windshield in 2.5 years and 30k miles. My 2021 only has 1 small chip repaired by Safelite.

Sponsored

OP
OP
exoshield

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
My windshield took a rock hit and then cracked beyond repair within an hour of taking ownership last month. And, it was Gorilla glass. $400 down the drain immediately. And no warranty (even though they say it will be replaced once)
😩This is one of the worst ones we have heard yet!
Did you replace it with GG again or did you decide to go another route?

OP
OP
exoshield

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler

DGT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel, Ford Excursion,Volvo XC70
😩This is one of the worst ones we have heard yet!
Did you replace it with GG again or did you decide to go another route?
I haven't replaced it yet, but plan to do so in the next week or so. The crack is getting worse - distorting the windshield where it cracked.

OP
OP
exoshield

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
4,000km from a rock chip. Non gorilla glass. Replaced with an aftermarket windshield for $280 CAD and it's holding up well 6,000km later. I don't have the little jeep in the corner anymore though.

Also, I don't have adaptive cruise control so it's pricier if you have that option.
4000kms is pretty impressive!

Great point, some jeeps without the ADAS functions do still have a fairly inexpensive replacement option. But you do usually have to give up the emblem in the corner.

Have you noticed any other differences since swapping the factory glass with aftermarket?

OP
OP
exoshield

exoshield

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Team ExoShield
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I haven't replaced it yet, but plan to do so in the next week or so. The crack is getting worse - distorting the windshield where it cracked.

If you're interested in protecting the new glass we have a great installer in St George UT!

St George Tint Shop
316 E 1400 S #B2, St George, Utah 84790, United States

435-704-8657

Sponsored

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
My gorilla glass cracked after about a month.

Brought to the dealership and they put one on order. It's been about 2 months since, but they're covering it. The catch is the crack has to be between 1" - 3", so I brought mine immediately.

The crack has now spread from driver A-pillar to the bottom of the glass, but it's not in my field of vision.

But yea, the gorilla glass is CRAP

IAJeepguy

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR EcoDiesel
Occupation
ACMX
16,500mi.

Saw the rock, hit the base of the windshield and rolled up into my lap.

Getting replaced by insurance this Friday.

Jeep Wrangler JL How many miles/kms before your first windshield chip or break? PXL_20220509_125214316
@rcadden - Man you’re not far off what I have for mileage…. Being we bought on the same day lol…. 19,300 miles currently, but @ ~2,300 miles I had one good sized rock nail my windshield. It was just below where the stuff for the adaptive cruise is… luckily it never cracked.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@rcadden - Man you’re not far off what I have for mileage…. Being we bought on the same day lol…. 19,300 miles currently, but @ ~2,300 miles I had one good sized rock nail my windshield. It was just below where the stuff for the adaptive cruise is… luckily it never cracked.
Nice! I put quite a few miles on pretty quickly - driving home, then to FL a few weeks later, then to CO for NYE, etc.

I WFH so once the kids are out for the summer in a few weeks, I'll catch up - in the summer I can do 3-4 days at a time without ever starting my vehicle.

IAJeepguy

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR EcoDiesel
Occupation
ACMX
Nice! I put quite a few miles on pretty quickly - driving home, then to FL a few weeks later, then to CO for NYE, etc.

I WFH so once the kids are out for the summer in a few weeks, I'll catch up - in the summer I can do 3-4 days at a time without ever starting my vehicle.
Our 5.5 month old baby is going to keep us home a bit more this year. We took it home last year and then did that Jeep Jamboree out in Wyoming at the end of August. I do NOT WFH… lol so this is my daily.

AlexM90

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara 2021
4000kms is pretty impressive!

Great point, some jeeps without the ADAS functions do still have a fairly inexpensive replacement option. But you do usually have to give up the emblem in the corner.

Have you noticed any other differences since swapping the factory glass with aftermarket?
The install was done and I drove off in a snowstorm so I was skeptical the adhesive would settle properly but it' s been great so far. No noises or strange creaks. I have no complaints with this.

In my experience it's held up longer than the original so I'm happy.
Sponsored