Gas cap labeling

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
The 392 requires premium gasoline. The gas cap looks like every other JL cap and makes no mention of octane. At least mine doesn't. I'm afraid if I let someone else drive it they'll refill it with regular to "do me a favor" since you can watch the gas gauge drop while you drive it.

Are any aftermarket caps available that mention 91 octane? Or am I going to have to do something really ugly with my label maker?
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Why would you ever consider letting someone behind the wheel of your vehicle, if they canā€™t be trusted to put the fuel in it you tell them?

I am very particular about who gets my keys.

Iā€™m not trying to be an ass, I truly donā€™t understand. Is this someone who is not trustworthy? Or just uncontrollably thrifty?

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
^^^^^^ This. Nobody drives my Jeep except me. However, if you do want to lend yours out I would get a one of those doors that covers the gas cap (easiest install you will ever do) and use the label maker on the cap itself.

OP
OP
sigsegv

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
It's not like I let just anyone drive my car, but having a gas cap that is correctly marked is just a belt-and-suspenders thing. Without the gas cap being marked, it requires me to remember to tell anyone I ever hand the keys to put premium gas in and them to remember, even if they're just driving to the supermarket. With markings, I don't have to tell conscientious friends a damn thing, they'll do the right thing automatically.

There are people commenting here who don't have a 392 - I normally wouldn't expect a "surprise fill-up" in a vehicle from a caring friend until I got this monster. The gas gauge drops visibly each time you really step on the throttle. I can see a friend pressing the skinny pedal really hard a few times, going "that was awesome, I'm going to buy him some gas as a thank you" and then putting regular in. I'll just trim some label maker tape to fit.

I was actually curious if any 392s came with a correctly marked fuel tank cap.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
2.0T owner here. 87 is acceptable, but 91 is recommended. I've use Premium since the day I took delivery of the vehicle.

I attached this product to the inside of the fuel door, since my locking fuel cap has a profile that disallows the label's use thereon.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Even if the gas cap were marked, the likelihood someone would see it is slim. Nothing would happen if the vehicle was filled with regular. The computer will adjust timing as needed, and the vehicle will function normally.

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Back in the day I had a supercharged grand prix that required premium. This happened a couple times to me and I would know 87 was used when the knocking started. It was never anything a bottle of octane booster wouldn't fix though, so I'd suggest keeping one or two on hand if it's something you're worried about. That said, with these modern engines, the computer won't really let it damage itself if one tank gets run through it. I wouldn't worry too much if it were mine.

Sponsored

Billet Wilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU RHR / 2021 Ruby 392
It's not like I let just anyone drive my car, but having a gas cap that is correctly marked is just a belt-and-suspenders thing. Without the gas cap being marked, it requires me to remember to tell anyone I ever hand the keys to put premium gas in and them to remember, even if they're just driving to the supermarket. With markings, I don't have to tell conscientious friends a damn thing, they'll do the right thing automatically.

There are people commenting here who don't have a 392 - I normally wouldn't expect a "surprise fill-up" in a vehicle from a caring friend until I got this monster. The gas gauge drops visibly each time you really step on the throttle. I can see a friend pressing the skinny pedal really hard a few times, going "that was awesome, I'm going to buy him some gas as a thank you" and then putting regular in. I'll just trim some label maker tape to fit.

I was actually curious if any 392s came with a correctly marked fuel tank cap.
Is this really a situation you believe will actually happen or are you just overthinking? If you can't remember to tell a friend during some imaginary unlikely situation that you're Jeep requires premium, simply don't let your Jeep out of your eyesight. There are far more concerning things to dwell on that are very real potentials like how to prevent a dropped lifter that the 6.4L is known for.

OP
OP
sigsegv

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
2.0T owner here. 87 is acceptable, but 91 is recommended. I've use Premium since the day I took delivery of the vehicle.

I attached this product to the inside of the fuel door, since my locking fuel cap has a profile that disallows the label's use thereon.
That's perfect, thanks! Those are loud and I take your word that they fit inside the fuel door. I might also print some labels and put them on the gas cap.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Nothing would happen if the vehicle was filled with regular. The computer will adjust timing as needed, and the vehicle will function normally.
The 392 is tuned for 91+; it's required. Why it's 470/470 vs. Ram's 410/429 on 89.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
The 392 is tuned for 91+; it's required. Why it's 470/470 vs. Ram's 410/429 on 89.
Like I said, nothing will happen if it has 89 or 87 put in. The computer will adjust the parameters accordingly.
Sponsored