Sponsored

Is it just me or are current Wrangler buyers different…[CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt878

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 15 Sahara 2dr 6 speed, current 18 JLU S
Occupation
You wouldn’t like me if you knew
Maybe it’s the substantial price increase, maybe they have moved onto other things but…

I was having a discussion with my wife tonight after we saw a modded JK, and we both agreed that during the JK’s prime there were many more modded Wranglers rolling around town then there are for JLs.

Ive felt like this for a while now, I rarely see lifted JL’s with larger tires and aesthetic mods anymore…All I’d see is the occasional JT with large muds, a roof rack and lift.

Hell I used to see JKs with dynatrac axles runnin around town more than I see modded JL’s nowadays. Maybe those people all switched over to muscle cars for now since there are more Dodge Chargers on the road than Honda Civics lol. When I had my 2015 Sahara I felt like I was part of a big family…always waving…now it’s soccer moms in JLs lol

thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I'm one to wait for my warranty to expire before doing substantial mods, maybe others are the same. Give it a few years and maybe once people's loans are paid off they'll spend that spare $$$ on mods.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Stock for stock, my 2021 JL 4xe Sahara is nearly twice as expensive as my 2010 JKU Sport S. Even factoring in inflation, there’s still a 20k difference in price.

At this point, Jeep is trying to move the Wrangler upmarket, closer to what Land Rover Defender is today, than a relatively affordable small SUV.

Strategically, Jeep could benefit from another cheaper but capable off-roader. Might be a business case for a “Wrangler Classic” - similar to what Ram does with it’s trucks. Sell the Sport and Sport S JKU Wranglers alongside JLs new, at a discount.

As it is right now, the Wrangler price inflation has priced out certain new buyers.

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
Because stock JL’s are more capable than stock JK’s were? 🤷🏻‍♂️ I have seen quite a few modded JL’s around here, but there are also tons of stock ones.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Both buyers and Wranglers have changed.

FCA wanted to attract more educated, affluent buyers, willing to pay the high premiums and margins Marchionne loved. Meanwhile, Wranglers have become more refined, more loaded with creature comforts, and significantly more complex.

We now regularly see JL buyers trading in Mercedes, Audis and Lexus, which was rare before. At the same time, the number of DIYers, the college kids and the adrenaline seekers have all but disappeared.

One thing that has not changed is the crummy service we receive from Jeep dealers. In fact, it’s worsened over the last 7-8 years.

Wranglers have traditionally enjoyed some of the highest owner retention levels in the industry. I wonder whether JL’s new customers, used to Mercedes and Lexus levels of service, will stick around after they get to experience Jeep’s combat-drill customer service.

Last edited:

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
Eh I don't know. Jeeps are just more desirable. They have done well (thank the four doors) to make the Wrangler an everyday solution.

This will be my... fifth? Jeep, from YJ's forward. Would have owned a CJ but the only one I found at the time had no brakes and was a pile of rust.

Now I patiently wait for my new 2 door Gobi to wrap up while I hope the car market crashes to get the gf a new SUV.

Murica.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I think it depends on where you are. In my area, I see more modded Jeeps of all generations than stock. But like others have said, the price of new Wranglers has increased significantly over the last few years. Our '22 Sahara Altitude which is less-equipped than our 2016 Backcountry Edition has an MSRP of $8k more than the '16. Factor in the oem steel bumper group that was standard equipment on our '16 & that would bump the price difference up another $1700, and the locking differential that was standard on the '16. You're looking at $10k price jump for basically the same vehicle in just 5 years.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Yes, buyers are different because times are different. Cars in general are much more complex today and far fewer people are weekend mechanics. Back in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s I used to do all my own car maintenance, lots of guys did. My first car was a ‘72 Buick with a simple V8 and I could work on it myself, do anything except rebuild the carb. But the Wrangler still attracts guys that like to work on and modify them. It probably stands out as one of the most heavily modded vehicles out there. Though like someone else posted, many people are reluctant to just start tearing apart a brand new Jeep, especially since they might have warranty issues if they do. And they’re just so pretty right out of the box.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of Mercedes owners: yesterday I met up with my friends, who were camping over the Cascade mountains in their Mercedes Sprinter. They were returning from a month-long trip to NM, CO, UT and WY.

They love their camper. But in the 18 months they have owned that Mercedes it has left them stranded twice, and given them close calls another 2-3 times. One time they had to wait 16 hours for Mercedes roadside assistance to pick them up, their dog, and the van, from Coos Bay, OR. It spent the following month at the dealership getting repaired.

It is always the electronics that fail. Everything, even the 4WD, is governed by electronics, which will refuse to engage if the vehicle is in a bad mood that day.

Two days ago the dashboard started lighting up one by one: CEL, ABS, ESC, 4WD... Yesterday the entire dashboard was lit up like a Christmas tree . Thankfully they were on their last leg getting home in Vancouver. They are now considering getting rid of the unreliable van, getting a fullsize pickup and putting an old fashioned camper on it.

Hearing their stories makes me appreciate the — still — relative simplicity and robustness of my Jeep.

I took the Fiat on the gorgeous 320-mile round trip over the Cascades to meet up with them
Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or are current Wrangler buyers different…[CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR] _DSC0001.JPG

Last edited:

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Yeah, as others have stated above, I think it’s a combination of many things:
  • Pricing has increased on the Wrangler putting it above some folks means.
  • The warranty is something to be considered when modding your vehicle. I know I thought about it before I started modding mine, and asked a lot of questions.
  • The JL does seem more capable stock than the JK does.
  • The JL is more complex to mod vs Jeeps of the past due to added technology/electronics
  • Certain folks in the younger generations might not be getting into Jeeps simply due to the lower MPGs vs other SUVs on the market / are more environmentally conscious
  • The mods themselves are more expensive, and shop rates have gone up also
  • Vehicle handling in modern vehicles has improved significantly over the last 25 years to the point that pretty much any SUV handles better than a Wrangler. Perhaps the Wrangler “driving feel” appeals to less folks now?

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
That’s because the JK’s have been around for years and the JL’s are relatively new (some ‘18’s still under extended factory warranty even). I think in a few years you’ll see the same ratio of modded JL’s.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I see a lot of modified JLs around here in socal.

dougywarren

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 4xe Sahara
As others have stated, wait until the warranties expire. It’s more capable stock than ever before. It’s also more comfortable stock which will lead many to enjoy it the way it is. And it’s become so much more expensive to do anything
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.