Sponsored

Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof..

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
Reason I chose SOT is simplicity. I have nowhere to store a hardtop. With a Willys, the SOT package also includes the 8.4 upgrade so it was an easy decision for me. Great discussion btw. I love hearing everyone's input and reasons for their decisions.
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
So if I understand correctly you won’t buy something because you are unsure of how long it will last. But, in the 4 years since it came out there have been no major issues with it so far.

What amount of time will satisfy your fear? If a part fails do you think it’s going to cost $4,000 to replace it? More likely it will be considerably less but as no one has had to replace or repair theirs on this site it’s all speculative.

On top of all that consumer reports says your Jeep is one of the most unreliable vehicles ever produced (I don’t agree). If you have these fears about maintenance costs why in the world did you buy a Jeep in the first place?

The reality is I don’t care if you personally don’t won’t to own the SOT. To each their own. But when you make up false facts to deter others not to buy it or make those that did seem less educated than yourself that’s just not right. If you have facts to back up claims then let’s hear them. If not then you are espousing your opinion and not a factual argument.
As usual with this forum, you're reacting emotionally rather than digesting what was said. Take a minute to read before commenting.

My original post was referencing several comments saying they'll replace the top if it fails. I simply said that thinking is silly to me, because the SOT is $4000+ and my view is one shouldn't be content spending that type of money for it to fail hypothetically. There's nothing in my posts that indicates or implies the SOT will fail. You let your emotions make that up.

My posts acknowledge the very bad history the Jeep Liberty power top had and my posts acknowledge there's a potential reliability factor with the SOT that the other OEM tops simply do not have. Given the average vehicle on the road is 12-13 years old, 4 years is not a long time. The Liberty power top certainly had issues by then, though.

Otherwise, nothing in my posts was presented as factual or nothing more than my opinion. This is a discussion forum and the OP asked to be talked out of buying this top. Just because you like the SOT or own it yourself, does not mean there's not potential downsides it. If you didn't want to read about potential negatives, you probably shouldn't have entered a discussion thread pertaining to negatives about the SOT.

You did a lot of blind assuming in your post. I've already figured I would buy a SOT if I buy another JL in the coming years. Acknowledging there's a downside or two to the top doesn't mean I don't like it. I just know I'd be pissed if it stopped working within 10 years and I would not be content with spending $2000 on another top, when the original should last the life of the Jeep.

Last edited:

Alchemist03

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
I can say that living in the city, the hardtop with the sunrider flip top was my first option. I loved having a soft top and even though my previous jeep was never messed with (knock on wood), I knew I wasn't going back to one unless I lived in the suburbs. Main reason being, the older I am getting, the more the wind noise was bothering me. But at the end of the day I know what I am getting into with a wrangler - it'll be noisy no matter what.

I went to a dealership just to see and test drive the SOT and was impressed with it so much that I walked out of there with it - no complaints about my jeep so far. I get to have my cake and eat it too with added security of hard top sides (of course this is a subjective thing and if someone wants to break in they will find a way, but it gives me peace of mind) and dropping the top back easily with the touch of a button. I don't have to deal with the storage of either the hard or soft when one is off or on and can easily open/close the SOT while still in the jeep. I'll admit the looks of my jeep were a deterring factor with the SOT with everything taken off but its hard to look at the outside of it when you're driving it! The only thing I experience is the open air in the driver's seat. I'll leave the judging and speculating for people that aren't in the jeep or for when I have a critical eye when I'm sitting outside of it haha.

Pros for me are: ease of getting the open air feeling, no need for storage in the city, added "security"/ peace of mind, ability to open/close on the fly, not as noisy as a full on soft top (imo) joy of driving it.

Cons: doesn't look as good as a soft top or hardtop fully off, not as quiet as a hardtop, potential issues later down the line (but I'll just deal with it when those arise), limited roof rack issues.

Hope this helps and happy driving.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Our (partner & I) decision-making process for SoT (and we have a convertible that's long in the tooth):
  • Hard/Soft-top removed is the best "open-air" experience and has a better aesthetic when removed
  • SoT has a better aesthetic when closed (esp on 392, where fenders are body-color only)
  • We didn't want to have to think/decide every time whether to have the top on or off
  • The hardtop was unappealing to us since you're committed to your choice made before each drive
  • Removing the freedom panels only isn't enough of an 'open-air' experience for us
  • The soft-top was unappealing due to security and aesthetic (looks nicer on some Jeeps but not ours)
  • Retractible soft-tops would block the back window area anyway (not to mention the spare tire)
  • Half-doors weren't available for Tuscadero, so the dual top group wasn't an option for us (soft-top w/half-doors is appealing to me)
  • We're lazy...removing tops is 'work'; we like to push a button to make work happen
  • Noise isn't a concern since it's not obnoxious--it's regular Jeep/convertible noise; plus: 392
  • The SoT, like the convertible, can be toggled mid-flight when desired or necessary (came in handy in the first week since there was one spot on our route that had a brief hard rain--the kind that sticks around only long enough to drench everything and get back to being sunny)
  • SoT seems reliable and simple enough (not a hydraulic system like the convertible, which hasn't been a problem in 17 years/110K mi. and counting). This is the first extended warranty (Mopar Max 8yr/125K/$100) I ever purchased on anything since it seems worth it (more concerned with the electronics than SoT's motors, etc.) and the premium is small compared to what it covers, and to what I spent on the vehicle
Those are all our priorities. Since there isn't an option that does it all, it's a matter of selecting the trade-offs that are in line with your priorities.

Concepts are always sooooooo much cooler than production; notice the SoT on the PT Cruiser concept:
Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 1652446701827

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
As usual with this forum, you're reacting emotionally rather than digesting what was said. Take a minute to read before commenting.

My original post was referencing several comments saying they'll replace the top if it fails. I simply said that thinking is silly to me, because the SOT is $4000+ and my view is one shouldn't be content spending that type of money for it to fail hypothetically. There's nothing in my posts that indicates or implies the SOT will fail. You let your emotions make that up.

My posts acknowledge the very bad history the Jeep Liberty power top had and my posts acknowledge there's a potential reliability factor with the SOT that the other OEM tops simply do not have. Given the average vehicle on the road is 12-13 years old, 4 years is not a long time. The Liberty power top certainly had issues by then, though.

Otherwise, nothing in my posts was presented as factual or nothing more than my opinion. This is a discussion forum and the OP asked to be talked out of buying this top. Just because you like the SOT or own it yourself, does not mean there's not potential downsides it. If you didn't want to read about potential negatives, you probably shouldn't have entered a discussion thread pertaining to negatives about the SOT.

You did a lot of blind assuming in your post. I've already figured I would buy a SOT if I buy another JL in the coming years. Acknowledging there's a downside or two to the top doesn't mean I don't like it. I just know I'd be pissed if it stopped working within 10 years and I would not be content with spending $2000 on another top, when the original should last the life of the Jeep.
Odd, I’m not sure how I misread your posts. It is interesting that your argument focuses on a vehicle that was produced over a decade and a half ago. I’m not saying it’s not relevant to the discussion. I think it adds credibility to the fact that if it’s been out for a long time and they have likely learned a thing or two since it was produced in a more basic form 15 years ago.

To your point about a top lasting a lifetime I guess I understand that there are wear issues on a vehicle. I had my last vehicle for 13 years and when it hit the 10 year mark I accepted that there was going to be issues. So when I replaced the dry rotted weather stripping around my windows it wasn’t a shock. When the radio stopped working I replaced it.

I accept that a soft top will degrade from the sun and that it will eventually need to be replaced.

It is unrealistic to expect a wear item that opens and closes thousands of time over the course of the vehicle’s life not to have some repair needed if you keep it long term. So if you and I are on the same page but just saying it differently then I am sorry that I originally didn’t read your statement correctly.

Sponsored

bdb5430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Reasons not to get it (since you asked) (from a 1st-time Jeep owner who has zero experience with it whatsoever)
  • It's stupid expensive
  • It can't [easily] be removed in the summer like a hard top
  • While the quarter panels can come out, the rear window can't. Imagine driving with an opened parachute behind you. Goodbye MPG*
  • The area where the fabric meets the metal is on the top rather than the side. More likely to leak than the hard top*
  • Bougie.
*I have no actual data to support this claim.

IMO, you'd be better off going with the hard top + sunrider. Much cheaper (so more $$$ for mods) and it gives you the option of switching back to the hard freedom panels in the winter for better heat retention, sturdiness in the snow, etc.
Actually, it’s pretty easy to remove the rear window. I do it all the time.

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I bought mine new in 2019 and have never regretted it once. I use it all the time. The only issue I have had with it was a rivet popped loose on one side that keeps the side tensioned. It didn't hurt it and it still operated but the side would flap. Dealer had it fixed in no time and no issues since.

Mine was a daily driver until this year.

I honestly do not think I would buy anything else if ever bought another Jeep. I also have 2 friends that after I got mine they traded theirs in for one with SOT. It is an expensive option but to me the convenience is worth it.
I use mine off-road quite a bit and it is nice to have the ability to have the top back and come to a muddy section and just hit the button before I hit it.

I will say I never take the back windows out. I do not like the look of it that way. I just take doors off.
I like that look better.

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 3

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

With 40 years of law enforcement, Just when you thought you seen it all! NO! you didn't!
A broken window is PC (probable cause) to stop a vehicle, so a cut on the top, you wouldn't see!
Some crooks are a little smarter then others!
Wouldn't the "smart" thieves roll down the window (at least in decent weather)?

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sorry, here's a you tuber doing it:

or search for:
" I removed my back glass Jeep Wrangler JL Sky one touch "
Thought it was on this forum, someone may have mentioned this video or perhaps I could be mistaken but it looks pretty easy - good luck and post some pics !
My bad, I was focusing on the forums.

Definitely something that would be reserved for special occasions, but possible.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Good points that it may not last but considering the awesome offers on this forum to buy discounted real mopar warrantees that last 8 years and cover everything it would seem to fault the guy who chose to spend 50 grand on his new ride but then got cheap suddenly and didn't pony up another 1.7 grand to actually protect it and instead complains how extended warrantees are scams and conspiracies. 😈
It's nowhere near 1.7 grand if you already want the sunrider on a color-matching top.

For me: my wife wanted it on our last Jeep and would periodically "mention" that the next one would have it.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm looking online at 4xe's. I notice that a LOT of these are being ordered with the SOT.

My fears with the SOT:

It operates via sliders in rails. Sliders in rails eventually become a PITA. True of interior closet doors in a house, true of exterior sliding doors in a house, true of the SOT on Jeeps that've been running them for years.

Weather. You can sit inside the Jeep and poke your fingers through the edges of the fabric. How is that going to seal out foul weather long term?

Pros:

It takes the best of the hard top and the best of the soft top and combines them. It's brilliant.

I'm torn....

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Weather. You can sit inside the Jeep and poke your fingers through the edges of the fabric. How is that going to seal out foul weather long term?
Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 1652455830437

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have never had a problem with weather or leaks. I run mine through automatic car was all the time also.
Sponsored