Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
2.5 years and 36,000 Mike's into my ownership, I took the jeep in for a strange rattle in the engine. Got a new motor. Hope you have the same outcome.
Sponsored

STGMavrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1996 Nissan 300ZX, 2008 Lexus ISF, 2012 Ducati 848 CORSE SE
I'm extremely surprised the dealer is gonna tear down the motor. I'd almost say that's "suspicious" knowing what I know of the automotive design and manufacturing process + having several friends that work for dealerships; this isn't a common practice on a practically new engine. Granted neither of my friends work for FCA dealerships and my knowledge comes second hand from doing automation at plants, but still. Typically in a situation where a motor went out as early as yours the mfg will approve the claim with the stipulation that the motor get pulled and NOT disassembled so that the engineers can be the first ones to have a crack at it to figure out what happened. This is very common between most mfgs I know of. They don't want a tech undocumenting a teardown and tampering with the "evidence". They want to see if there's a manufacturing flaw, engineering flaw, etc".

Also, there was one guy that mentioned it way later into the thread. Don't pay out of pocket for this. If the dealership/FCA denies the claim get your insurance involved. That's what they're for. They can pay the claim or even scare the dealership into covering it themselves as to avoid any potential arbitration claims. IE, when your insurance covers a claim they will always work behind the scenes to figure out if someone else could potentially be liable and put the legal team in action. They don't want to pay for something they don't have to.

Super horrible it happened, but good luck! Hopefully your future jeeping experience is better than this!

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
So I did a break in oil change at 500 miles like I have on other auto's. I got Penzoil 0w20 as I have seen suggested on the forums since it meets the requirements for the 3.6l. When as i poured it in, it had a pinkish hue and was fairly runny, I thought must be because of the weight, I have never dealt with anything below 10w30.

So this morning driving it to work, it started to loose power, oil pressure was around 35psi, then it shut off as I got to the side of the highway. No oil on the road. So got it towed to the dealer only cost $16 with the service plan. Now I wait for them to get to it.

I have a theory it was not motor oil in the jug, but here is what I purchased. I just hope someone will cover the cost if it is major. I have not even made the first payment on it yet.

280481456_10217878755000586_1822660673344049169_n.jpg
I remember my Honda dealer telling me not to change the first oil until I pass 1000 miles. Something about the original factory oil needing to stay in the engine for a certain amount of time. I'm at just over 3000 miles in the Jeep and the computer tells me I have 68% oil life left.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The fit alongside the oil filter, and easy to get to just by removing the cap :)
Keeps em nice and shiny too!

I'm really surprised OP doesn't know for sure if he put oil in or something else. I would of known if something was funky right after doing the taste test.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Keeps em nice and shiny too!

I'm really surprised OP doesn't know for sure if he put oil in or something else. I would of known if something was funky right after doing the taste test.
My uninformed speculation is it's probably the right oil and he's just nervous because of the problem afterward. I bet he would have noticed if it was used ATF, for example.

Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Does car insurance cover things like improper maintenance? I don't think it does, never heard of it being covered anyway. But I could be wrong.
I have owned RAM / Cummins equipped pickups since December 1997, and I belong to several forums. There have been instances where some have dispensed gasoline into the diesel tank, and, worse yet, DEF into the diesel tank.

Comprehensive will cover items like those listed above.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
So word from Dealer, they found metal when they pulled the dipstick not filter as other service advisor said. He told me they have to tear the engine down to see what happened. He stated nothing I did was wrong, I assumed I was putting the correct items in per the label. But he thinks that much metal it might be a manufacture defect. So now still in a holding pattern.
I see a nice, new long block in your future....along with a rental perhaps.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My uninformed speculation is it's probably the right oil and he's just nervous because of the problem afterward. I bet he would have noticed if it was used ATF, for example.
I was being sarcastic in my last post, ive had a couple and couldnt help myself.

In all seriousness I'm sure it was the right stuff and if anyone one of us had just done a oil change and something like this happened most would be second guessing things too.

I hope everything works out for you OP, crappy situation to be in regardless.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
This is really sad for the OP. The PP oil cap seal was not broken, therefore it was very doubtful, that the oil was a issue. Seeing metal on the dipstick justified that the engine be disassembled for inspection. So wether they rebuild the engine, or install a new engine, it is very sad to see this happen to any brand new vehicle, with only 500 miles on it. So then the concern is, the quality of the repair, or replacement.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'd be very surprised if they rebuild the motor, and if they did I wouldn't be happy. A new long block should be on the menu, hopefully that will be the case. At any rate, good luck OP and keep us posted.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm extremely surprised the dealer is gonna tear down the motor. I'd almost say that's "suspicious" knowing what I know of the automotive design and manufacturing process + having several friends that work for dealerships; this isn't a common practice on a practically new engine. Granted neither of my friends work for FCA dealerships and my knowledge comes second hand from doing automation at plants, but still. Typically in a situation where a motor went out as early as yours the mfg will approve the claim with the stipulation that the motor get pulled and NOT disassembled so that the engineers can be the first ones to have a crack at it to figure out what happened. This is very common between most mfgs I know of. They don't want a tech undocumenting a teardown and tampering with the "evidence". They want to see if there's a manufacturing flaw, engineering flaw, etc".

Also, there was one guy that mentioned it way later into the thread. Don't pay out of pocket for this. If the dealership/FCA denies the claim get your insurance involved. That's what they're for. They can pay the claim or even scare the dealership into covering it themselves as to avoid any potential arbitration claims. IE, when your insurance covers a claim they will always work behind the scenes to figure out if someone else could potentially be liable and put the legal team in action. They don't want to pay for something they don't have to.

Super horrible it happened, but good luck! Hopefully your future jeeping experience is better than this!
May be a Jeep Thing...I don't know...to investigate my "rattle", the Service Rep was very clear about doing a tear down to investigate the issues. This was just in December of 21.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have owned RAM / Cummins equipped pickups since December 1997, and I belong to several forums. There have been instances where some have dispensed gasoline into the diesel tank, and, worse yet, DEF into the diesel tank.

Comprehensive will cover items like those listed above.
It may depend on your insurance company. I Googled this earlier and most insurance companies explicitly said they do NOT cover mis-fuels, etc. Some might but it's good to check your policy before it happens.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Seems surprising to me that a dealer would do a teardown themselves, under these circumstances. Maybe they haven't made contact with Jeep on the issue yet. Like someone else posted, Jeep would want first look at the issue to determine the root cause, such as a manufacturing defect of a component or assembly error.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I remember my Honda dealer telling me not to change the first oil until I pass 1000 miles. Something about the original factory oil needing to stay in the engine for a certain amount of time. I'm at just over 3000 miles in the Jeep and the computer tells me I have 68% oil life left.
No where in the manual for any modern vehicle does it say to change oil at 500 miles. Complete waste of money, and now look at this poor guy. If he followed the directions the warranty claim would be cut and dry.

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, by not following the recommended maintenance schedule and you don’t have a receipt for what you purchased, I think you’re going to be on the hook for any repairs.

There is no reason to change the oil at 500 mi. While under warranty, always follow the maintenance schedule & use the fluids specified by the manufacturer. Outside of warranty, do whatever you want. Good luck.
I agree! I think a lot of people get caught up with adages and rules from eons ago about vehicles and the vehicles today are far and away more advanced, I mean who would think someone would go 10K plus miles in between oil changes like some cars can do today? As previously stated, follow the manufacture's guidelines and keep your records and if something goes, wrong, put them on the hook. All that said, sorry that happened to you though.
Sponsored