Sponsored

Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof..

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Oh yeah, a couple posts showing how to remove the rear window make it look very easy so don't worry about that
Just do it !!! šŸø
I can't seem to find those posts. Mind pointing them out?
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The overwhelming (all but one, I believe) negative replies are from folks who donā€™t have the SOT. I personally love it. Every top option has pluses and minuses, but the ability to open and close the top whenever I want, in just a few seconds, is priceless. Iā€™m willing to bet there are lots of hardtop users who want to remove their top in nice weather, but pass, due to the storage/hassle. Like many have said, if I experience problems after the warranty is up, it can be removed to install another top option.
People generally defend their purchase no matter what. Many people happy with the SOT, would've been happy with a regular hard top or soft top because it's theirs. Kind of like how a car looks better when you're the owner of it. Not to mention this isn't anything complex, you don't need to own the top to know there's potential downsides. Kind of a silly comment to make, most people here did a lot of research prior to purchasing.

More importantly, the oldest JLs on the road are 4 1/2 years old. That's not a significant amount of time. Almost everybody is universally happy with their vehicle when it's new. The real test for the SOT is how it ages. For anybody to say it'd be okay to just buy another top down the line, I think that's blasphemy but to each their own.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

For anybody to say it'd be okay to just buy another top down the line, I think that's blasphemy but to each their own.
Good thing you didn't buy a vehicle that was designed to be modified! Do you have the same perception of the rest of the mods that people here discuss?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Good thing you didn't buy a vehicle that was designed to be modified! Do you have the same perception of the rest of the mods that people here discuss?
Replacing a $4000+ Power Top because it isn't working isn't a modification. I guess when you change out your battery after 3 years, that's a "mod" to you too.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Replacing a $4000+ Power Top because it isn't working isn't a modification. I guess when you change out your battery after 3 years, that's a "mod" to you too.
Or drop in a 392 when the v6 is blown? Yep, that's a mod.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Or drop in a 392 when the v6 is blown? Yep, that's a mod.
If the V6 is blown, that's a replacement, not a modification. Regardless, like your original comment, this is a false equivalency. 3.6 to 392 is an upgrade. SOT to any other OEM top is downgrading. To buy a $4000 upgrade and be okay with it failing after not so long is stupid and wreaks of blindly defending your purchase without merit.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
That top picture of the sarge green with half doors and SOT looks awesome. Makes me regret not getting the half doors. šŸ˜–
Here check this YouTube video of JL with SOT and half doors on 37ā€ tires. So awesome. There are a few good shots throughout video.

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
Everything breaks - you can have a new Jeep and three months down the road your rear differentials might start rattling that three months after it's fixed, the same rattling started again. That's what happened to me, and I bite the bullet and trade in my Jeep thats only a year and half for a new one. It's frustrating yes but $h!t happens I guess.

I am currently driving a 2 doors but I am also waiting for the delivery of JLU with SOT. I love everything about Jeep but two doors Jeep with two dogs can be a bit limited. My hardtop comes off and I swapped my doors for tubular trail doors during the summer. I live in high rise so I don't have the luxury of having extra space such as own garage to have a hard top hoist.

It is a pain for me to remove my hardtop and put it back anytime I want to. When it is not in use, the hard top is conservatively wrapped in black tarp and placed it in front of my 2 Dr Jeep in my allocated parking spot (it barely fits and I have to put mini bumpers in front of it so that i know when to stop when I am parking).

I ordered SOT on my JLU because I need the flexibility of opening/close the top when I need to. It can be quite annoying and time consuming to take the top off then put the hard top back on as required.. I have been drenched a few times on what turned out to be an awesome sunshiny day suddenly turned dark and rained heavily for a few minutes but enough to soak me (and my dogs). I really hate dealing with installation and removal of hard top. Soft top (which I am using right now as I only have one vehicle) is nice but I prefer not to have any top with the freedom to put anything on the back of the Jeep. Also it is a bit annoying to schlepping the soft top windows panels as my 2 Dr Jeep really dont have space for them with the backseat up.

Having SOT on my upcoming JLU allows me to have the best of both world I guess. One touch to have an open air ride and one touch to have a covered vehicle. JL has been out for almost 4.5 years now, and many people had good experience with SOT. I will be lucky if I have no problem with SOT even for 4 years. Because something will/might break eventually and it's not just your SOT.

Keep things simple or based it on your experience will help you decided on what is best for you. But when you start calculating because you are worried that you might missed out something or break something - you will be living in constant fear and regret during your ownership of the Jeep. So something break - it's part of life, just deal with it like how you deal with other problems in life.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
There's a chance that they'll be cut, but the butt-end of a knife could definitely be used to break your window.

It seems extremely unlikely that someone would climb up on top of a Jeep to start cutting through an SOT, especially since it's probably not obvious that it's a cloth top to the casual thief. Put on 37s or larger for 2+ more inches, plus a 3" lift and you reduce that visibility even more.
With 40 years of law enforcement, Just when you thought you seen it all! NO! you didn't!
A broken window is PC (probable cause) to stop a vehicle, so a cut on the top, you wouldn't see!
Some crooks are a little smarter then others!

Last edited:

BODIDDLY

First Name
BO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP WRANGLER SARAHA UNLIMITED
Vehicle Showcase
Love mine....had two other Jeeps...stopping to close a regular top every time it starts to rain is a pain the ass. It rains a lot in S FL! Also, when you go out of the vehicle for any reason...a few buttons pushed and you're secure. Don't know how it will hold up with time....but it is very well built. It's worth the costs!

Sponsored

GO_RV

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara JLU
We were thinking about the sky one touch but we went for the black hard top With headliners. I have to say the hard top with headliners is very quiet.
I did get the Sunrider Top from Bestop and installed it.
you definitely get road noise at above 50 mp. But itā€™s a snap to open.
I was worried about road noise with the one touch and Iā€™m kinda glad I went with the hard top and added the Sunrider.
I am probably going to use the Sunrider May - Sept. then put the freedom panels back on for fall, winter, early spring.
I canā€™t believe the sky one touch is as quiet as the hardtop.
here is my video, I installed it in about 45 minutes. Itā€™s idiot proof
Sunrider on my Sahara

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
I can't seem to find those posts. Mind pointing them out?
Sorry, here's a you tuber doing it:

or search for:
" I removed my back glass Jeep Wrangler JL Sky one touch "
Thought it was on this forum, someone may have mentioned this video or perhaps I could be mistaken but it looks pretty easy - good luck and post some pics !

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Good points that it may not last but considering the awesome offers on this forum to buy discounted real mopar warrantees that last 8 years and cover everything it would seem to fault the guy who chose to spend 50 grand on his new ride but then got cheap suddenly and didn't pony up another 1.7 grand to actually protect it and instead complains how extended warrantees are scams and conspiracies. šŸ˜ˆ

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So if I understand correctly you wonā€™t buy something because you are unsure of how long it will last. But in the 4 years since it came out there have been no major issues with it so far.

What amount of time will satisfy your fear? If a part fails do you think itā€™s going to cost $4,000 to replace it? More likely it will be considerably less but as no one has had to replace or repair theirs on this site itā€™s all speculative.

On top of all that consumer reports says your Jeep is one of the most unreliable vehicles ever produced (I donā€™t agree). If you have these fears about maintenance costs why in the world did you buy a Jeep in the first place?

The reality is I donā€™t care if you personally donā€™t wonā€™t to own the SOT. To each their own. But when you make up false facts to deter others not to buy it or make those that did seem less educated than yourself thatā€™s just not right. If you have facts to back up claims then letā€™s hear them. If not then you are espousing your opinion and not a factual argument.
Sponsored