Sponsored

Maximus 3 Tow Loops

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
The Maximus3 tie rod fix for the Blue OX bars is okay currently and getting revised as we speak. Before my first tow, I worked with the engineers at Maximus to design a "quick release" method of mounting the tie rod in order to retain the anti-binding functions.
After my first tow, we reconnected and are looking at a few modifications to the current connection that I am using (and will continue to use until I get to beta the revision - made for ease of use, not structural changes).
I think you all will like the new options....
Where do you connect your safety cables?
Got any pictures to share?
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Where do you connect your safety cables?
Got any pictures to share?
The maximus Tie Rod attaches to your tow bar like a spreader of sorts so the safety cable holes are still open. Assuming that is what you meant

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
The maximus Tie Rod attaches to your tow bar like a spreader of sorts so the safety cable holes are still open. Assuming that is what you meant
I was hoping the new version connected the tow loops instead of the tow bar arms and had an additional place to connect the cables. Would also be nice if they added a wing on the tow loop that bolted to the frame. Would really like to be able to fold up the tow bar.
Might look something like this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have contacted Maximus3 Directly and they are very reasonable to work with. Suggest that others that have concerns do the same.

Last edited:

Wogstl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep 4xe Rubicon - Stingray
I was hoping the new version connected the tow loops instead of the tow bar arms and had an additional place to connect the cables. Would also be nice if they added a wing on the tow loop that bolted to the frame. Would really like to be able to fold up the tow bar.
Might look something like this.
The current solution that I am beta testing makes the tie rod attachment to one side of the tow bars a quick release attachment. There is plans to make this attachment a bit more graceful and perhaps more durable but I can attest that it works and that you can fold up your tow bars...

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I purchased the maximus last June to install on my 4xe (I also have a JL with the Blue Ox on it). I was shipped the 5/8" tow loops. On our second outing I was pulling out of a restop on I90 I had just put our Tiffin DP into gear and rolled maybe 15' when a dog ran in front so I hit the brakes (less than 5mph). I decided to check the tow connection and my drivers side tow loop was bent about 1/2" to one side. I contacted maximus who immediately sent a replacement set of loops, only this time there were 3/4" (that was Aug. 2021). Fast forward because of medical reasons (cancer treatment) we parked the RV and I planned to instal the new tow loops this spring. last weekend I installed them and also discovered this thread. SO Sunday I sent an email to Maximus and then yesterday 1 day later I called then only to have a manager call me back later that day to discuss a solution so this would not happen again. As you all know that Solution is the Tie Rod. So Today they offered the Tie Rod for 1/2 price ($65) I said OK I thought that was fair. I tow using the Ready Brute Elite tow bar from NSA ( do not use thier brakes). I called NSA yesterday to discuss this issue with them also just for their advice. They agreed the Tie Rod shold dramatically reduce that lateral force and should likley resolve that issue. So in the end I am satisfied with the fix as well I am very happy with the response and speed that Maximus has responded and rectified the issue. This was my bent 5/8" loop .

In the end they have been very proactive and responsive with lightning speed. I encourage other to call them and work through the issues.

Let me add some have mentioned installing a tie rod in the rear holes of the loop (safety cable hole) as you can see the bend on mine was forward of that so the tie rod located there would n ot have prevented the bending, it needs to be on the Tow Bar. If you look at Roadmaster tow bars the also have the Tie rod option similar to what Maximus is now doing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops maximus

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

The Maximus3 tie rod fix for the Blue OX bars is okay currently and getting revised as we speak. Before my first tow, I worked with the engineers at Maximus to design a "quick release" method of mounting the tie rod in order to retain the anti-binding functions.
After my first tow, we reconnected and are looking at a few modifications to the current connection that I am using (and will continue to use until I get to beta the revision - made for ease of use, not structural changes).
I think you all will like the new options....
Any picture of the version you have? I am guessing this would be the same type of fix for the Roadmaster setup? I believe the Roadmaster has the same anti-binding functions that are much harder to use with this fixed cross bar without a quick release. I finally got my RV back tonight and will take a look at the tow bar and tie rod fix they sent me (after I paid for it of course).

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Any picture of the version you have? I am guessing this would be the same type of fix for the Roadmaster setup? I believe the Roadmaster has the same anti-binding functions that are much harder to use with this fixed cross bar without a quick release. I finally got my RV back tonight and will take a look at the tow bar and tie rod fix they sent me (after I paid for it of course).
Road Master ascually makes a Tie Rod for some of their Tow bars

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops faq077_hh_800

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Road Master ascually makes a Tie Rod for some of their Tow bars

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops faq077_hh_800
Yes, I have had that system on the Grand Cherokee and moved away from it on our new 2022 Grand Cherokee L as you have to carry around that crossbar mount.

For the JL it is a no go as the mount will not work with aftermarket bumpers and sticks too far out for any kind of real rock crawling.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes, I have had that system on the Grand Cherokee and moved away from it on our new 2022 Grand Cherokee L as you have to carry around that crossbar mount.

For the JL it is a no go as the mount will not work with aftermarket bumpers and sticks too far out for any kind of real rock crawling.
Agreed but simply pointing out that this is a viable solution as is likley the Maximus tie bar. The Roadmaster cross bar will work with other Base plates though.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Ok, finally got my RV back from warranty work. I attached the tow bar to my wife's Grand Cherokee L to make it a bit easier to work around. For reference, I have the RoadMaster Sterling tow bar, tow defender, and an ACE bumper.

The bolts Maximus sent were way too short for the application. Fortunately, I had a few grade 8 bolts sitting around. You can see various views of the setup below. If you leave the bar attached, it will create a triangle that can be strapped down. This would be for short movement around a campground as it will not allow for the tailgate to be opened. On the RV that would not matter much, just looks messy.

Maximus told me that they are working on a quick release bolt for one end. That would make folding it down a no tool event which would be nice. I just worry about the strength of the bolt they are referring to and will post it if they send me one. With one end of the bar unbolted, you can fold the tow bar back into the OEM bag and just strap the rod back to prevent it from dropping down.

img_5954-jpg.jpg

img_5955-jpg.jpg

img_5960-jpg.jpg

img_5956-jpg.jpg

img_5964-jpg.jpg

img_5965-jpg.jpg

img_5958-jpg.jpg

img_5957-jpg.jpg

img_5962-jpg.jpg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Ok, finally got my RV back from warranty work. I attached the tow bar to my wife's Grand Cherokee L to make it a bit easier to work around. For reference, I have the RoadMaster Sterling tow bar, tow defender, and an ACE bumper.

The bolts Maximus sent were way too short for the application. Fortunately, I had a few grade 8 bolts sitting around. You can see various views of the setup below. If you leave the bar attached, it will create a triangle that can be strapped down. This would be for short movement around a campground as it will not allow for the tailgate to be opened. On the RV that would not matter much, just looks messy.

Maximus told me that they are working on a quick release bolt for one end. That would make folding it down a no tool event which would be nice. I just worry about the strength of the bolt they are referring to and will post it if they send me one. With one end of the bar unbolted, you can fold the tow bar back into the OEM bag and just strap the rod back to prevent it from dropping down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Maximus 3 Tow Loops img_5962-

Thanks for the update. make sure the bolt you use for the tierod is a good fit there should be zero play. I have the NSA tow bar that uses 5/8" bolt for the clevis, I spoke to NSA about using a 1/2" bolt and they said no way as that 1/8" play could lead to a catestophic failure. So NSA is making me a custom bolt that is 5/8 that tapers at the end to 1/2" to go thru the tie rod which is 1/2".

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

The bolt is the same size diameter as the one RoadMaster sent me.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered two 1/2 20 male heim joint (LH and RH threads) along with an appropriate 1/2 20 female threaded swedged tube (30") to build my triangulation rod along with Grade 8 nuts and bolts (different lengths). This is of course before knowing that Maximus has a system already available. I'll follow-up with photos.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I ordered two 1/2 20 male heim joint (LH and RH threads) along with an appropriate 1/2 20 female threaded swedged tube (30") to build my triangulation rod along with Grade 8 nuts and bolts (different lengths). This is of course before knowing that Maximus has a system already available. I'll follow-up with photos.
Make sure that tie rod is connected to the tow bar and not the back hole of the tow loops as the area where the front hole will still bend, the Tir ROD must be on the tow bar itself. I have a bent tow loop and it bent in front of the rear (safety cable) hole.
Sponsored