Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

gbr

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've been trying to get my Jeep repainted since last May. First the body shop said they were backed up and had delays, then the dealer said Stellantis had put the brakes on these jobs. Got a call from Jeep Case Management 3 weeks ago saying the dealer has to look for a new body shop, since that voicemail I've heard nothing from Jeep or the dealer; so I decided to give my dealer a call today. They told me effectively that the body shops in my area refuse to do the work because Stellantis will only pay for a blending of the paint and not a full repaint of the panel(s). The body shops are insisting on the full repaint because they say the blend looks like garbage and their name is attached to the work. This might be all BS but some food for thought.
When mine was done, they painted the doors and tailgate with no blend. It was a horror show. I complained, and they blended for me. The result looks good to my untrained eye.
Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Just back from the dealer and they said that nothing is covered. My full warranty is expired and they said even though I have the corrosion warranty the paint issues aren't covered. The service guy suggested that I go to a dealer with a body shop an hour away but then said they would probably tell me the same thing.

I guess my question to the group here is this: Is this something that should fall under the corrosion warranty or is it only under the 3 year paint warranty? If it's under the 3 year warranty then it is what it is and I'll just see about getting it fixed myself, but if it should be under the corrosion warranty I will push the issue. I know the wording of the corrosion warranty makes this a paint problem which wouldn't be covered because that warranty is expired but I was wondering what other's experiences are and if anyone has had this covered under the corrosion warranty.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Just back from the dealer and they said that nothing is covered. My full warranty is expired and they said even though I have the corrosion warranty the paint issues aren't covered. The service guy suggested that I go to a dealer with a body shop an hour away but then said they would probably tell me the same thing.

I guess my question to the group here is this: Is this something that should fall under the corrosion warranty or is it only under the 3 year paint warranty? If it's under the 3 year warranty then it is what it is and I'll just see about getting it fixed myself, but if it should be under the corrosion warranty I will push the issue. I know the wording of the corrosion warranty makes this a paint problem which wouldn't be covered because that warranty is expired but I was wondering what other's experiences are and if anyone has had this covered under the corrosion warranty.
Most dealers will deny as that is the easiest fastest option for them to get rid of you. Stellantis is ok with that as it saves them money. But some dealers push and will submit a claim and it will get approved. So depends. Our second paint bubbling corrosion claim was done after 3 years.

Research posts and decide from there. Dealer does not get much out of it as the work is often out sourced to some random body shop willing to do the repair. So can see why most will just say nothing is covered. It is just extra work for them. For little to gain. Especially if you have not given them any other service business.

Had all my hinges done March 2020. Bubble just appeared on the driver's door skin. I was concerned about the repair as my warranty ran out in December 2021. Dealer said not to worry as it's covered under the 5 year corrosion warranty. Just waiting for FCA authorization to fix it.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Most dealers will deny as that is the easiest fastest option for them to get rid of you. Stellantis is ok with that as it saves them money. But some dealers push and will submit a claim and it will get approved. So depends. Our second paint bubbling corrosion claim was done after 3 years.

Research posts and decide from there. Dealer does not get much out of it as the work is often out sourced to some random body shop willing to do the repair. So can see why most will just say nothing is covered. It is just extra work for them. For little to gain. Especially if you have not given them any other service business.
Thanks for the info. I will push the dealer about it.

RJE2

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Hella Yella
Take it to your/a dealer
Good luck. I have been to 3 dealers and all of them tell me they do not have a body shop and wont touch mine. Called Jeep and so far they have not been helpful. They are supposed to be assigning a service advisor to my case but I have not heard from them since I called last week.
seems Jeep will not pay the dealers enough to fix the problem so they try to push you away and make excuses as to why they cannot fix it.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Good luck to everyone dealing with the corrosion issue. Has anyone who had repairs done to hinge corrosion through Stellantis know if the body shop removed the hinge bolts into the door panel and coated the aluminum door under the hinge? Or did they just sand and repaint the outside of the hinge and door? Thanks

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi

Isn't the corrosion warranty 5years/100,000miles or has that changed?

We had my wife's 2015 JKUR hinges done in 2017 or 2018, no issues and the dealership doesn't have a body shop and Sent us to a approved local repair shop, no real issues, new hinges and paint.

My 2001 Ram replaced all the doors at 99,500 miles in 2010 for rust, same dealership and local repair facility, even kept the old doors as was only the bottom lip.

Regards,
Jim

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
Good luck. I have been to 3 dealers and all of them tell me they do not have a body shop and wont touch mine. Called Jeep and so far they have not been helpful. They are supposed to be assigning a service advisor to my case but I have not heard from them since I called last week.
seems Jeep will not pay the dealers enough to fix the problem so they try to push you away and make excuses as to why they cannot fix it.
I never said they would actually fix it but you won't know until you try. Many people in this forum have had their corrosion covered.

cleroks

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1987 Comanche I6
Occupation
Retired
Good luck to everyone dealing with the corrosion issue. Has anyone who had repairs done to hinge corrosion through Stellantis know if the body shop removed the hinge bolts into the door panel and coated the aluminum door under the hinge? Or did they just sand and repaint the outside of the hinge and door? Thanks
The body shop removed the hinges from the doors (I saw all the parts sprawled out in their work area) on my 2019 Mojito JLUR. They repainted the doors and hinges (and hood in my case). They mentioned that I should not have the issue again because they painted both surfaces where the hinges meet the doors.

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
Washed the jeep over the weekend and noticed small bubbles in the paint at one of the rear door hinges. I am over a year and have roughly 27k miles.They are hard underneath and the paint is not loose and pretty sure they were not there last time i washed the vehicle. It cant be rust under the paint since the doors are aluminum. All other hinges are fine. Has anyone seen this issue?

7BBAFBCE-A498-4C9D-A44E-5ACE0C7E028D.jpeg
but a recliner seat?!?!?
[/QUOTE]
I have had the same problem. My 2018 Jeep JL has had more issues than my Toyota 2005 Corolla. I regret my purchase and will never buy a Jeep again

Sponsored

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So, I took my 2020 into my "local" dealership to start the warranty process for correcting the corrosion on 8 of my 12 hinges (hood, doors,tailgate). They took pics and sent them in, all was documented on my receipt. After 6 weeks and no call back, I called and they told me that the corrosion correction will be covered under warranty, BUT, it needs to done through the dealership I purchased it from.

Anyone know if this is true???

I sent a message to @JeepCares in hopes they can validate this information. If true, it will be total PIA as the dealership is not local (1 hr away) and I have to start all over again with wasted trips and time. If this is true, seems insane that you;d have to have warranty repairs completed at the selling dealership; like what if you moved out of state. I only purchased out of town due to limited available in the height of COVID.

We absolutely love the Jeep and have had no real problems. It's been a great vehicle over the past two years and 17,000 miles, was even planning to go to a "stage 2" of my build (37s/regear) but now starting to question if its even worth moving forward with "repairs" that will surely not be over when I get it back. Obviously, they will only repair the 8 of 12 hinges with corrosion, so we all know I'll be going back one day for the other 4. Also have major concerns over proper painting/correction and blending on a Black vehicle. Sucks.. Plus, now add driving back and forth 45 miles to the selling dealership to attempt this all.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
So, I took my 2020 into my "local" dealership to start the warranty process for correcting the corrosion on 8 of my 12 hinges (hood, doors,tailgate). They took pics and sent them in, all was documented on my receipt. After 6 weeks and no call back, I called and they told me that the corrosion correction will be covered under warranty, BUT, it needs to done through the dealership I purchased it from.

I sent a message to @JeepCares in hopes they can validate this information. If true, it will be total PIA as the dealership is not local (1 hr away) and I have to start all over again with wasted trips and time. If this is true, seems insane that you;d have to have warranty repairs completed at the selling dealership; like what if you moved out of state. I only purchased out of town due to limited available in the height of COVID.

We absolutely love the Jeep and have had no real problems. It's been a great vehicle over the past two years and 17,000 miles, was even planning to go to a "stage 2" of my build (37s/regear) but now starting to question if its even worth moving forward with "repairs" that will surely not be over when I get it back. Obviously, they will only repair the 8 of 12 hinges with corrosion, so we all know I'll be going back one day for the other 4. Also have major concerns over proper painting/correction and blending on a Black vehicle. Sucks.. Plus, now add driving back and forth 45 miles to the selling dealership to attempt this all.
If mine does it's gone I'm not going to deal with it .

cleroks

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1987 Comanche I6
Occupation
Retired

How can they enforce that when half of the Jeep dealerships don't have body shops? The dealer I bought from told me to take it to another dealer because no body shop. The other dealer farmed it out to a body shop next door. Long story short: they fixed it. They repainted 4 doors, hood, and hinges (took the hinges off before repainting). And they paid for most of my rental cost. To my untrained eye, the paint job looks great. Why are they fixing this for some customers and screwing others?

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Something in their paint prep, must have changed. Our 2018 JLR, does not have any paint issues, or bubbling. Nor does our JKR.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Something in their paint prep, must have changed. Our 2018 JLR, does not have any paint issues, or bubbling. Nor does our JKR.
JK’s won’t have the issue as their doors aren’t aluminum. How many miles on your JLR? Do you drive it in bad weather? I believe every Jeep has the problem or will have it. It just depends how small the current bubbling is
Sponsored