Sponsored

Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof..

SoCalRider9

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Freedom '23
Hi All - been lurking the forums for ages finally decided to just sign up.

I'm building my next Jeep and I am heavily conflicted whether I want to go with the SOT or stick with the body-color Hard Top that I'm used to. I am very much leaning towards getting it but of course the minor cost upgrade and uncertainty about long-term durability are the two things choking me up...

Bare in mind I live in New England, where the winters are cold, wet, heavy, and sloppy.
Ideally want to have this next Jeep for at least 8-10 years, so naturally I'm apprehensive about how the long-term reliability will hold up after years of use, elements, and so forth.

I hear nothing but good things on forums and groups but there's gotta be some that have had horror stories?
Also - any feedback on how the roof holds up if it's partially opened at high speeds?

Any and all information - horrible and great - will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all :)
Sponsored

Zoopy123

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Occupation
Media Services
We bought our Sahara with the 1-touch last Oct and live outside of Boston. It's never been an issue with last winter. Traveling up to Cannon in NH to snowboard in 2 degree weather but the Jeep stayed toasty warm. I've also traveled on the highway with the roof open and its been fine. In fact its better than the freedom panels, bc with the panels it creates a gap between the door and the frame that causes a lot of wind noise. You don't have that with the 1 touch as there is no gap. Can't speak to longevity but couldn't be happier so far. We don't have a garage so here's hoping it lasts!

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Reasons not to get it (since you asked) (from a 1st-time Jeep owner who has zero experience with it whatsoever)
  • It's stupid expensive
  • It can't [easily] be removed in the summer like a hard top
  • While the quarter panels can come out, the rear window can't. Imagine driving with an opened parachute behind you. Goodbye MPG*
  • The area where the fabric meets the metal is on the top rather than the side. More likely to leak than the hard top*
  • Bougie.
*I have no actual data to support this claim.

IMO, you'd be better off going with the hard top + sunrider. Much cheaper (so more $$$ for mods) and it gives you the option of switching back to the hard freedom panels in the winter for better heat retention, sturdiness in the snow, etc.

Sponsored

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Welcome to the forum! I had the same back and forth on the SOT prior to ordering my '22 JLUR XR, and ending up pulling the trigger on the SOT, and don't regret it for a minute. Being able to fully enjoy the open top benefits of a Jeep without the hassle of freedom panels and/or swapping and storing tops was the kicker for me. Looking like rain? Just push the button. Rain passed? Push it again.

The only consideration that I wasn't fully thoughtul of was the limited roof rack options with the SOT. Becase of the height of the fabric folds when the roof is opening/open, it limits the ability to put on a roof rack- if you do, it has to have really tall feet to clear the folds. Those tall racks, to me, look goofy, and by the time you add stuff to them, an already tall XR won't fit in a normal height garage. Good luck on whatever you go with!

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I'd be concerned if you park outside and it's exposed to a heavy snow pack on the roof on a regular basis. Also, if you plan to use any kind of roof rack you may want to see what's available first.

HeygirlHey

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Snazzberry Sahara Altitude (on order)
The only good reason I can give you is if you like going completely topless w/a jeep, this look is slightly different. But for me, I'm a sunroof open anytime I can girl, and I LOVE it. Open it a little crack, halfway or all the way - and when it starts raining, press a button to close.

I'd be worried about snow and such sitting on top also (but I live in a state where that's not an issue), but I would go based off what other similar-weather northerners have said regarding bad weather + the top.

I say go for the top that you won't be able to stop thinking about if you DON'T get it.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Given the history of new add ons and things like that, 5 words...One more thing to break.

SCOFF44

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Don't think I've ever seen anyone that has one say they regretted buying it. I love mine and wouldn't buy another Jeep without it!

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I considered that when I ordered mine and went with the dual top option. This is Wrangler number 5 and the factory soft top is so easy top put up and down I think I wasted my money on the Mopar cab cover. I've been getting home and pushing the top up from lowered, unfolding the sunrider, putting up the windows and I have not had to deal with a soggy seat in the morning. On the JK and the TJ, raising the top was such a pain that the first thing I got for both of them was a cab cover so I didn't get a wet butt. YMMV

OP
OP
SoCalRider9

SoCalRider9

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Freedom '23
Reasons not to get it (since you asked) (from a 1st-time Jeep owner who has zero experience with it whatsoever)
  • It's stupid expensive
  • It can't [easily] be removed in the summer like a hard top
  • While the quarter panels can come out, the rear window can't. Imagine driving with an opened parachute behind you. Goodbye MPG*
  • The area where the fabric meets the metal is on the top rather than the side. More likely to leak than the hard top*
  • Bougie.
*I have no actual data to support this claim.

IMO, you'd be better off going with the hard top + sunrider. Much cheaper (so more $$$ for mods) and it gives you the option of switching back to the hard freedom panels in the winter for better heat retention, sturdiness in the snow, etc.
Was thinking the same exact thing about going HT + Sunrider top, that would be the best alternative for sure. Thank you for the input!

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Disclaimer: I have never had one and don’t think I’ll ever get one. I love my soft top and have a hard top, too, just because my jeep came with it and I convinced myself not to sell it.

I personally don’t like the SOT. I think it looks silly fully naked and it seems to me like it’s prone to break long term. Replacement parts may also be hard to come by long term (I’m pretty sure this happened with the similar top on the Liberty).

However, other than the cost and potential loss of what you spent to buy it, there’s no other downside to getting it. You’re not married to it if 3 years down the road you hate it, or it breaks. You can take it right off and swap another top on.

RandyMarion CDJR

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Randymarionjeepram.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Jeep Wrangler 4xe, Subaru Crosstrek
There isn't much out there for someone looking for information on durability for these huh? I just looked high & low to better assist your question but simple not much information for it. Lol you may have to be the one that lets the forum know friend! From what I have been able to accrue, I think the biggest worry is heavy snow sitting for long periods of time and seeping in, however that's more of a concern & doesn't have much supporting evidence it would happen... Only that it could!

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
i don't think it looks esthetically appealing when going topless (due to the frame) as you do without the hardtop (which is my preference) or with the soft top folded down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 1652729656961

Jeep Wrangler JL Someone talk me out of going with the Sky One-Touch roof.. 1652729868469
Sponsored

Last edited: