Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Damn man. Sorry to see that happen. Cleghorn has some spots that are definitely nerveracking. I was looking forward to see your beast 392 in action at big bear. I hope you can score a replacement soon.
Sponsored

Bkilby

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 392, 1974 Hemi Cherokee
Occupation
Chief Toilet Scrubber
The previous picture I posted with my Jeep in a narrow canyon was in Los Coyotes Indian Reservation. The recovery was coordinated by one of the local Indians with four wheeling experience, but not a 4x4 or recovery professional. He did a fantastic job of coordinating three winches, tow straps, and spotters to right the Jeep back up with minimal damage. I'd done a backwards somersault trying to climb a slick waterfall. After pulling the plugs and spitting out the oil, I drove it back to camp.
Sounds like you were trying to climb El Hill.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Obvious loss? Did it just flop on its side?

Dude that is not totaled. Buy it back for cheap and build a beast.
Trust me I donā€™t understand the reasoning and I am working with the actual adjuster tomorrow. These are all questions Iā€™m going to ask. I think itā€™s valid to see how much I can buy it for after payoff. Once I have that information Iā€™ll definitely let you all know and it will be something I will explore.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Heck yea man, what greater purpose is there than learning from our experiences and passing on that knowledge? I have been in some precarious situations myself, now you know the feeling of a rollover. It sucks but it'll make you much more comfortable on the trail. Every situation is different sometimes it's best to ride the brakes and sometimes more throttle is what is needed. I am by no means an expert, I've just survived some stuff lol.

Looking forward to your next (diesel) build.
Well said. Yes in my situation it was the brakes needed. In other situations youā€™re probably right, some gas may be the better choice.

Im learning and Iā€™m okay with the process. Now that I know what a roll feels like as youā€™ve mentioned Iā€™m more cautious, but also more confident. Im ready to get back out tomorrow if I could :)

Im really thankful for everyone in this community and the support Iā€™ve received. Thank you everyone 1000 times for reaching out to me and caring. In a world that seems dark and nasty, itā€™s a blessing to see such kindness.

Deleted member 59498

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I have a few bruises on my body, but mainly just a bruised ego and slap to my pride.

There were definitely some rookie mistakes made. The driver in front of me damaged his fender and I watched him do it, because of that, I decided to ride higher in order to avoid my fender being damagedā€¦ great choice right?

I panicked once I got too off camber, kept the tires turned toward the wall and touched the gas. In hindsight the mistakes were obvious, but so goes the saying of such things being 20/20 after the fact.

You can laugh, say how stupid my decision making process was or whatever else comes to mind. Hell, itā€™s probably all true, but each failure to me is another notch in my belt towards wisdom and learning new things.

Iā€™ll be back out soon!

Glad you are ok, Keep Wheeling!

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Oh man, I feel for ya brother! Glad that you're ok. What are they saying it'll cost you to buy it back?
I donā€™t have that information yet but I should by tomorrow afternoon and Iā€™ll be sure to update this thread!
Sucks, man. Whatcha gettin next?
Thatā€™s the big question. Once I talk to the adjuster tomorrow I should have a good idea what Iā€™m doing. Of course I want another 392 but I would also look at buying it back.
Someone is gonna buy it at auction for the axles and hemi engine for sure.
Exactly the body is damaged not the rest of the vehicle including the frame and the engine.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Any chance you might update your avatar to the pic posted in post #1?
Haha weā€™ll see! It would make for a great avatar. I have a ton of photos Iā€™m not sure who took the one on the first page.
Damn man. Sorry to see that happen. Cleghorn has some spots that are definitely nerveracking. I was looking forward to see your beast 392 in action at big bear. I hope you can score a replacement soon.
I was also looking forward to seeing my 392 in action in big bear, but if I get another 392, youā€™ll see it in action in big bear. I promise you that!

Deleted member 59498

What happens with modern engines being turned over? Do they even need a oil change and does the oil get into anything important?

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
What happens with modern engines being turned over? Do they even need a oil change and does the oil get into anything important?
Yeah I heard spark plugs need to be pulled and some cleaning needs to take place, but as long as you do that, it should be good to go.
Iā€™m incredibly grateful for your contributions to this community. Glad youā€™re ok!
Thank you for your compassion and Iā€™m glad for my safety as well. Still being somewhat of a novice, itā€™s awesome to know my contributions have an impact here.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Iā€™m incredibly grateful for your contributions to this community. Glad youā€™re ok!
Yeah I heard spark plugs need to be pulled and some cleaning needs to take place, but as long as you do that, it should be good to go.

Thank you for your compassion and Iā€™m glad for my safety as well. Still being somewhat of a novice, itā€™s awesome to know my contributions have an impact here.
Ah OK that is hardly the end of her! Hope get some good love from insurance.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The difficulty is identifying a spotter that has your and your rigā€™s best interest at heart.

When wheeling in groups, I found three quarters of those standing around are there for the beer and the carnage; only a minority knows a thing about spotting, and do it properly.
I have seen this many times where the spotter sends them on a poor line for the fun of it. I personally ran in to four guys doing this on the Rubicon Trail. Straight up asshats.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Thank you for your kind words! They did total it out without even looking at it. They called it an obvious loss... I know so bummed. This is the first vehicle I ever truly loved as corny as it sounds... It had a special place in my heart and life.

Jeeping has become a new passion and purpose in my life. To have it temporarily taken away with the only vehicle I have ever really loved is heartbreaking... But I am okay, insurance is taking care of things and even if I have to wait, I will be back in a Jeep soon enough.
This is what a good attitude looks like.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
yeah, thought dude had a death wish at the 19:48 mark standing in direct line with that anchor spike ā€¦. Holy shit

A4DC2F7E-DA82-4D2A-8682-8B004DEDA220.jpeg
Ummmā€¦yeah. Lol. Even if the shackle fails heā€™s possibly in a world of hurt. Guess he felt hiding behind the wheel was enough.

kubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Ummmā€¦yeah. Lol. Even if the shackle fails heā€™s possibly in a world of hurt. Guess he felt hiding behind the wheel was enough.
He was nuts and had a ton of stones but very skilled in what he was doing (minus the lack of safety). Doubt we get the Jeep flipped over without him leading things.
Sponsored