First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 2 door, 2014 Ram 1500
Occupation
Engineering Technician
So I did a break in oil change at 500 miles like I have on other auto's. I got Penzoil 0w20 as I have seen suggested on the forums since it meets the requirements for the 3.6l. When as i poured it in, it had a pinkish hue and was fairly runny, I thought must be because of the weight, I have never dealt with anything below 10w30.

So this morning driving it to work, it started to loose power, oil pressure was around 35psi, then it shut off as I got to the side of the highway. No oil on the road. So got it towed to the dealer only cost $16 with the service plan. Now I wait for them to get to it.

I have a theory it was not motor oil in the jug, but here is what I purchased. I just hope someone will cover the cost if it is major. I have not even made the first payment on it yet.

Jeep Wrangler JL 500 Mile Break in Oil change caused issues 280481456_10217878755000586_1822660673344049169_n
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I always check the seal on oil jugs before I take them to the cash register. I’ve read a few accounts of dirtbags returning jugs to stores without the original contents. I’ve used PP plenty of times and its not been pink.

No foil seal and I’ll not buy it.

New Jeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
I wonder if it was transmission fluid...sometimes people reuse the bottles when they drain the fluids...might have been someone replaced their tranny fluid (which is pink) and used that bottle to return the oil to the store to dispose of it. Just a theory

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Pinkish hue or red? If it were transmission fluid, it would typically be red. Was the jug sealed?

Sorry to hear about this and hopefully, it is nothing serious.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Those jugs don’t have a foil seal, just the safety ring on the cap. Definitely shouldn’t be red or pink. I just changed my oil last weekend with Pennzoil.

Gregj

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I always check the seal on oil jugs before I take them to the cash register. I’ve read a few accounts of dirtbags returning jugs to stores without the original contents. I’ve used PP plenty of times and its not been pink.

No foil seal and I’ll not buy it.
the bottle plastic cap was not broken

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Technician
Pinkish hue or red? If it were transmission fluid, it would typically be red. Was the jug sealed?

Sorry to hear about this and hopefully, it is nothing serious.
jug was sealed and is was pinkish, not red.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
This is a very bad situation for you, @TCorgard82 . Sorry to say it, but that's the truth.

Be SURE you have your receipt. Be SURE you put that jug away somewhere, preferably in another sealed container. Be SURE you call a lawyer TODAY.

Jeep isn't going to cover a ruined motor because you put the wrong fluid in it. The seller of the product will likely not take responsibility, so you're left to sue Pennzoil.

I'd also go back to where you bought it, and see if there are other jugs from the same lot, purchase them, see what you've got.

It's going to be about $12,000-$15,000 to replace the motor. I just had one done under warranty.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Best of luck, but tagging myself in for latter updates.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Technician
This is a very bad situation for you, @TCorgard82 . Sorry to say it, but that's the truth.

Be SURE you have your receipt. Be SURE you put that jug away somewhere, preferably in another sealed container. Be SURE you call a lawyer TODAY.

Jeep isn't going to cover a ruined motor because you put the wrong fluid in it. The seller of the product will likely not take responsibility, so you're left to sue Pennzoil.

I'd also go back to where you bought it, and see if there are other jugs from the same lot, purchase them, see what you've got.

It's going to be about $12,000-$15,000 to replace the motor. I just had one done under warranty.
Bought the oil like 4 months ago while I was waiting for the jeep to show up, so no receipt. Also the jug now has the old oil in it. I can maybe go through insurance. Dealer said they would send a sample off to the lab to check what it was. Just odd, had no check engine light.

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Curious, when you noticed it was pink, why did you keep going? I would have drained it right away as soon as I seen that. Hopefully it’s not a total loss for that motor. Very curious what was wrong with that oil.

OP
OP
TCorgard82

TCorgard82

First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Technician
again Pennzoil said their oil had a different color, and I have never used anything lower than 10w30. So I assumed.... So I mean worsae case is I end up not having a jeep and have payment for the next 6 years.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Unfortunately, by not following the recommended maintenance schedule and you don’t have a receipt for what you purchased, I think you’re going to be on the hook for any repairs.

There is no reason to change the oil at 500 mi. While under warranty, always follow the maintenance schedule & use the fluids specified by the manufacturer. Outside of warranty, do whatever you want. Good luck.
Sponsored