First Impresssions: 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2.0L Auto

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
I wanted to share my first impressions of my new Rubicon for those that are considering a Wrangler but not sure which of the 14 models to choose. This was my first new vehicle in 25 years and wow what a difference. I bought sight unseen, no test rides, and had never seen Hydro Blue. I had always wanted a Wrangler and after reading hundreds of posts here decided on the Rubicon because it had everything I knew I wanted. I added a bunch of extras and really should have just bought the Extreme Recon package but heard there were delays.

I ordered from Gupton Motors in Springfield TN and the process was as simple as you could want. Complete your build, send them the PDF, and they send you their quote. The only thing that wasn't available were the rock rails with a step. Saved me a grand now that I look back. Don't expect trading emails with them to get an update every few days. You are simply wasting their time. They had easily 100 Wranglers on the lot, all sold, and I can see why they don't have time to trade emails and play around on the forums. The price they quoted was exactly what was on my paperwork. I added a five year warranty and Walter explained all the options and after spending $50k on a new vehicle, $1200 isn't really that much. Walter showed me the basics, connected my phone, and we drove to the gas station for a tank of gas. Forum members mentioned a number of times to make sure the tire pressure wasn't too high. Walter said they checked but it was still 39. Inside the door it says 37. This quickly turn to 43 once I hit the freeway.

I chose to fly and drive and I think the trip cost me a little less than having it shipped. Between my flight, hotels, gas and food I spend about $1,400 over three days getting back to Phoenix. As an SUV the Wrangler is awesome. Coming from a BMW X3, albeit older, the thing drove like a sports car. Steering was responsive for sure but was jittery because of the air pressure. The vehicle is comfortable and fairly easy to get in and out of. My mom being 5' 1" wouldn't be happy but it's not hers! I loved the sticking in the seats and the steering wheel and overall the fit and finish were great. My buddy noted the tiny glove box but they put a larger speaker. As long as it holds a few napkins and the owners manual that's about all I need. The first day I headed towards Branson and spent half my time playing with the trip meters, watching my tire pressure increase. Absolutely beautiful drive from TN to Branson. Except for the tornado warning that popped up on my screen.

Branson to Albuquerque was a long day at about 13 hours of seat time. The seats were awesome! They are a little stiff for sure but after a while you kind of settle in to them and all is well. There were a couple of not so awesome things. The wind was one. Driving a giant breadbox at 80 mph on the I-40 with a 30 mph cross wind was tiring. Springfield to Branson was my break in, after that you have to stay over 75 or you'll get run over. The other not so great thing was a hail advisory as I was approaching Amarillo. Gale force winds and the radio was squawking about three towns where gold ball size hail was reported. Oh hell no! I could see the black storm clouds over my shoulder. Was not happy.

Sirius / Nav system is pretty weak. Sirius was on repeat after a three day drive. It's kind of like cable TV, 100 channels but nothing on. And I thought the sound quality is poor on many of the channels. No static of course but very thin and overly processed. The Nav system was just as bad. I loved the button on the steering wheel. But when I push the button and say "Find Branson Missouri" I expect it can plot a course. No, no, you need an address. How in the hell would I know the address of some random town in the middle of the country? Seriously, it's just easier to use Google Maps on your phone. I loved steering wheel controls in general and the setup in fron and behind the wheel are awesome. So, good radio, good sound system from the Alpine (not great) , great controls.

Mileage was abysmal. For the trip of 1,800 miles I averaged 17.6 mpg. I was getting 9-12 mpg as I headed into New Mexico because of the wind. Even so, with that may miles I expected 21 or 22. For a bone stock vehicle I expected a little less than the 24 they rated it at but less than 18 is bad for 98% freeway.

Off-roading is excellent.
Yesterday I did Table Mesa Rd which is a Badge of Honor trail. It's mostly a dirt road with a few spots where you need to have some ground clearance. It's not difficult but I wanted to try 4H and 4L, disconnect sway bars, and get a feel for things. Loved the electronic sway bar disconnect! This alone is worth the price of admission for the Rubicon. It's just a more planted feel and the body doesn't pitch back and forth as much. The BF Goodrich KO2s were great. Of course they are brand new but both on and off road they performed well. On a couple of the small climbs there was little to no slip in 4H and I only aired down to 33 as I didn't have air with me.
Today I went up Castle Hot Springs Road like I would to go the back way to Crown King. I veered west as I had never been that way. The roughest part was driving up a river bed for a bit rather than the dirt road. It was mostly flat but sand and gravel but some rocks to go over. Awesome. So after doing a hundred or so miles down dirt roads I couldn't ask for a better performing stock vehicle for going off road.

The only bad thing is I got a warning light for a fuel system issue. I found a thread for this and following.

Well I think that got a little long. TL;DR - Buy a Rubicon, it's awesome, you'll love it.
Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I have heard anything over 70 will result in an mpg hit. Sure was that way with my JK. Congratulations on your new Jeep!

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I wanted to share my first impressions of my new Rubicon for those that are considering a Wrangler but not sure which of the 14 models to choose. This was my first new vehicle in 25 years and wow what a difference. I bought sight unseen, no test rides, and had never seen Hydro Blue. I had always wanted a Wrangler and after reading hundreds of posts here decided on the Rubicon because it had everything I knew I wanted. I added a bunch of extras and really should have just bought the Extreme Recon package but heard there were delays.

I ordered from Gupton Motors in Springfield TN and the process was as simple as you could want. Complete your build, send them the PDF, and they send you their quote. The only thing that wasn't available were the rock rails with a step. Saved me a grand now that I look back. Don't expect trading emails with them to get an update every few days. You are simply wasting their time. They had easily 100 Wranglers on the lot, all sold, and I can see why they don't have time to trade emails and play around on the forums. The price they quoted was exactly what was on my paperwork. I added a five year warranty and Walter explained all the options and after spending $50k on a new vehicle, $1200 isn't really that much. Walter showed me the basics, connected my phone, and we drove to the gas station for a tank of gas. Forum members mentioned a number of times to make sure the tire pressure wasn't too high. Walter said they checked but it was still 39. Inside the door it says 37. This quickly turn to 43 once I hit the freeway.

I chose to fly and drive and I think the trip cost me a little less than having it shipped. Between my flight, hotels, gas and food I spend about $1,400 over three days getting back to Phoenix. As an SUV the Wrangler is awesome. Coming from a BMW X3, albeit older, the thing drove like a sports car. Steering was responsive for sure but was jittery because of the air pressure. The vehicle is comfortable and fairly easy to get in and out of. My mom being 5' 1" wouldn't be happy but it's not hers! I loved the sticking in the seats and the steering wheel and overall the fit and finish were great. My buddy noted the tiny glove box but they put a larger speaker. As long as it holds a few napkins and the owners manual that's about all I need. The first day I headed towards Branson and spent half my time playing with the trip meters, watching my tire pressure increase. Absolutely beautiful drive from TN to Branson. Except for the tornado warning that popped up on my screen.

Branson to Albuquerque was a long day at about 13 hours of seat time. The seats were awesome! They are a little stiff for sure but after a while you kind of settle in to them and all is well. There were a couple of not so awesome things. The wind was one. Driving a giant breadbox at 80 mph on the I-40 with a 30 mph cross wind was tiring. Springfield to Branson was my break in, after that you have to stay over 75 or you'll get run over. The other not so great thing was a hail advisory as I was approaching Amarillo. Gale force winds and the radio was squawking about three towns where gold ball size hail was reported. Oh hell no! I could see the black storm clouds over my shoulder. Was not happy.

Sirius / Nav system is pretty weak. Sirius was on repeat after a three day drive. It's kind of like cable TV, 100 channels but nothing on. And I thought the sound quality is poor on many of the channels. No static of course but very thin and overly processed. The Nav system was just as bad. I loved the button on the steering wheel. But when I push the button and say "Find Branson Missouri" I expect it can plot a course. No, no, you need an address. How in the hell would I know the address of some random town in the middle of the country? Seriously, it's just easier to use Google Maps on your phone. I loved steering wheel controls in general and the setup in fron and behind the wheel are awesome. So, good radio, good sound system from the Alpine (not great) , great controls.

Mileage was abysmal. For the trip of 1,800 miles I averaged 17.6 mpg. I was getting 9-12 mpg as I headed into New Mexico because of the wind. Even so, with that may miles I expected 21 or 22. For a bone stock vehicle I expected a little less than the 24 they rated it at but less than 18 is bad for 98% freeway.

Off-roading is excellent.
Yesterday I did Table Mesa Rd which is a Badge of Honor trail. It's mostly a dirt road with a few spots where you need to have some ground clearance. It's not difficult but I wanted to try 4H and 4L, disconnect sway bars, and get a feel for things. Loved the electronic sway bar disconnect! This alone is worth the price of admission for the Rubicon. It's just a more planted feel and the body doesn't pitch back and forth as much. The BF Goodrich KO2s were great. Of course they are brand new but both on and off road they performed well. On a couple of the small climbs there was little to no slip in 4H and I only aired down to 33 as I didn't have air with me.
Today I went up Castle Hot Springs Road like I would to go the back way to Crown King. I veered west as I had never been that way. The roughest part was driving up a river bed for a bit rather than the dirt road. It was mostly flat but sand and gravel but some rocks to go over. Awesome. So after doing a hundred or so miles down dirt roads I couldn't ask for a better performing stock vehicle for going off road.

The only bad thing is I got a warning light for a fuel system issue. I found a thread for this and following.

Well I think that got a little long. TL;DR - Buy a Rubicon, it's awesome, you'll love it.
Congrats on your new Ride..👍

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2.0, if you are easy on the throttle the mileage is not bad, but since it is a turbo once you have your foot in it gas goes flying through
Sponsored