Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I sent this message to Tazer and they added it to the requested feature list:

I've owned Tazer for my last two Jeeps - very happy. On future enhancements is it technically posible to have a forced regen "button" (using steering wheel controls) to activate the process to empty the DPF at will?
Obviously this will appeal to Ecodiesel owners only. I know that the dealer can do it at the shop. Food for thought.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I sent this message to Tazer and the they added it to the requested feature list:

I've owned Tazer for my last two Jeeps - very happy. On future enhancements is it technically posible to have a forced regen "button" (using steering wheel controls) to activate the process to empty the DPF at will?
Obviously this will appeal to Ecodiesel owners only. I know that the dealer can do it at the shop. Food for thought.
Curious as to why one would want this?

I am not sure if the ecodiesel is the same but with the Cummins if the DPF reaches a certain soot level even the shop cannot force a regen.

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hydro Blue JULRD
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I think the thought is to force regens a bit more frequently than what would normally occur as a means of soot build up. Preventative measures

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Curious as to why one would want this?

I am not sure if the ecodiesel is the same but with the Cummins if the DPF reaches a certain soot level even the shop cannot force a regen.
I drive mostly short hops so the soot builds up without the benefit of passive regeneration. I have a Scangauge which tracks the soot level and an active regen commences, like clockwork, at 80% full. As you can imagine, there are times when you would like to burn off the soot on your own schedule so you don't have to drive around for 10 minutes if an active regen starts when you are just pulling into your driveway.

So...if I'm out running errands, and the soot level is at 78%, I can start the 10 minute process so that it will complete before I get home.

Every Ecodiesel owner on here will understand.

Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I sent this message to Tazer and the they added it to the requested feature list:

Please keep us informed as to what they reply and if it is possible or not. I dont have the tazer yet, but if they did that then i will definitely be getting one

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Well AlfaOBD seems to allow you to do it, so i would assume Tazer could be able to... even at 100%... here's a vid from the ram guys:
Interesting. I have Alpha, but I did not have it in my truck at the time.

I recently had to have the dpf replaced on a road trip because it reached 100% and the tech stated it was at 11G/L and was above the threshold that allowed him to force a regen.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting. I have Alpha, but I did not have it in my truck at the time.

I recently had to have the dpf replaced on a road trip because it reached 100% and the tech stated it was at 11G/L and was above the threshold that allowed him to force a regen.
I still think that passive regen is largly a myth. It would seem like a road trip would have enough highway driving, and therefore create enough exhaust heat, to passively regen if it was really a viable operation. Does anyone have experience(s) where the DPF has dropped effectively by simply driving on the highway? If I started at 80% and did a long highway stretch, would it eventually get down to 8%? Or...does it take an 80mph run up a hill, against the wind, towing a trailer?

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I still think that passive regen is largly a myth. It would seem like a road trip would have enough highway driving, and therefore create enough exhaust heat, to passively regen if it was really a viable operation. Does anyone have experience(s) where the DPF has dropped effectively by simply driving on the highway? If I started at 80% and did a long highway stretch, would it eventually get down to 8%? Or...does it take an 80mph run up a hill, towing a trailer?
You would think so. I had driven from Chicago to Keystone, CO. For the next week the truck made maybe a 1 mile trip from our VRBO to the parking lot at the base of the mountain. I had zero notice, on the way to the car wash on our final day it flashed something along the lines of "keep driving Regen in progress" and then about ten seconds later the message changed to "Service exhaust system see dealer now reduced power"

Full disclosure I never have the dpf gauge up, and never even think about this stuff. I expect it to work and drive it like any other vehicle. I don't think twice about short trips, excessive idling, anything.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
I drive mostly short hops so the soot builds up without the benefit of passive regeneration. I have a Scangauge which tracks the soot level and an active regen commences, like clockwork, at 80% full. As you can imagine, there are times when you would like to burn off the soot on your own schedule so you don't have to drive around for 10 minutes if an active regen starts when you are just pulling into your driveway.

So...if I'm out running errands, and the soot level is at 78%, I can start the 10 minute process so that it will complete before I get home.

Every Ecodiesel owner on here will understand.
Does the ECOdiesel make you drive around to complete a regen? That's not supposed to be the case with urea injected DPF systems. I haven't seen that situation since my '08 Cummins (w/o urea). If you turn the jeep off during a regen it should just pick up the cleaning at next start... IE my '19 Cummins does this now that it is urea-based.

Sponsored

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Does the ECOdiesel make you drive around to complete a regen? That's not supposed to be the case with urea injected DPF systems. I haven't seen that situation since my '08 Cummins (w/o urea). If you turn the jeep off during a regen it should just pick up the cleaning at next start... IE my '19 Cummins does this now that it is urea-based.
My 20 Cummins is supposed to be as you described, and I have shut it down plenty during a regen. This last time in CO, was not the case. The first message that briefly was displayed wanted me to keep driving to complete a regen.
My last few Cummins I deleted so fast never saw a regen. This time I decided to keep the warranty after being burned a few times.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
My 20 Cummins is supposed to be as you described, and I have shut it down plenty during a regen. This last time in CO, was not the case. The first message that briefly was displayed wanted me to keep driving to complete a regen.
My last few Cummins I deleted so fast never saw a regen. This time I decided to keep the warranty after being burned a few times.
Weird. I'm about 15K into my '19 and have yet to see a regen message at all. I can smell it regen-ning occasionally running errands but it's never messaged or asked to "leave running" like on my '08. We tow pretty heavy with this one so maybe it's keeping the DPF clean that way.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If a regen is terminated prematurely it won’t resume until the soot reaches 80% again.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I still think that passive regen is largly a myth. It would seem like a road trip would have enough highway driving, and therefore create enough exhaust heat, to passively regen if it was really a viable operation. Does anyone have experience(s) where the DPF has dropped effectively by simply driving on the highway? If I started at 80% and did a long highway stretch, would it eventually get down to 8%? Or...does it take an 80mph run up a hill, against the wind, towing a trailer?
I have taken a few road trips where my banks gauge has said PAS and I've seen the percentage dropping.

Edit
I just drove approximately 40 minutes on the highway at 70mph and dropped 6% with the gauge indicating PAS.

Last edited:

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
When I head west on I70 out of Denver I will see my DPF level drop. My EGTs will stay well over 1,000 degrees at the turbo and at least 800+ at the DPF filter. That's hot enough to burn down the level pretty good. It's a long 6-8% grade and the engine is really working.

Of course, coming down from the mountains I'll drop all the way down to the 300s and DPF level will go back up.
Sponsored