Sponsored

JL Retractable Sunshade

If it were available now, would you order a JL Retractable Sunshade?

• Total voters

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That Sunshade doesn't appear to be an Engineering Marvel, basically a " window shade", that gives hope for DIY, since Bestop is too Big to Care about the potential customer base. .

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
That Sunshade doesn't appear to be an Engineering Marvel, basically a " window shade", that gives hope for DIY, since Bestop is too Big to Care about the potential customer base. .
Trying the "woe is me tactic"?
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade bold-strategy-jason-bateman

Bestop has literally listened to their customer base for like 3 generations of Jeeps. Lol. Maybe, just maybe there isn't a demand for it and to switch tooling because Joe from Ohio wants one isn't fiscally responsible?

Sponsored

Civil_Willy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Willys

Bestop has literally listened to their customer base for like 3 generations of Jeeps. Lol. Maybe, just maybe there isn't a demand for it and to switch tooling because Joe from Ohio wants one isn't fiscally responsible?
Unfortunately this is probably the case. There is a lot of demand on this site, and I'd imagine others. But the reality there are a lot more users of the JK out there than the JL, just based on numbers of units sold. Until there is demand and a number of users it doesn't look like it will happen.

At least by Bestop. Maybe some other group out there does it.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Who's to say you couldn't make the JK one fit the JL? Maybe with a little ingenuity it could be made to work...I know the Jl has many different measurements than the JK but all your really looking at here is where the attachment points are on the roll bars and if the windshield loops are in the right spots and if not whether it can be adjusted ie...outside the box thinking? at some point this summer I might give it a try...will post back If I wasted my money or was successful!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Yup, that's what the Sunshade Poll shows, not enough interest. Those Pesky Numbers are meaningless, just ignore them, and offer a Cute Quip in response.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade Screenshot_20220420-201839_Chrome
Yup, that's what the Sunshade Poll shows, not enough interest. Those Pesky Numbers are meaningless, just ignore them, and offer a Cute Quip in response.
My bad, I didn't realise 270 answers over the last 3 (three) years from forum members was a large percentage. Silly Pesky Numbers™.

Cute Quip™ was free of charge though.

Sponsored

Civil_Willy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Willys
Who's to say you couldn't make the JK one fit the JL? Maybe with a little ingenuity it could be made to work...I know the Jl has many different measurements than the JK but all your really looking at here is where the attachment points are on the roll bars and if the windshield loops are in the right spots and if not whether it can be adjusted ie...outside the box thinking? at some point this summer I might give it a try...will post back If I wasted my money or was successful!
Early in the thread I think Bestop responded they did test to see if it would fit, which obviously it would not be a direct fit.

Looking at the installation instruction it appears there are just two bolts that are used to install a bracket at each side. I'm reluctant to waste almost $200 but it seems like a separate bracket could do the trick, or an adjustment bracket to line these up with the sport bar on the JL compared to the JK. I'd love to see some detailed measurements of this area of the JK.

I'm not as mechanically savvy, but there seems like there would be a way to do this somehow.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Where there's a will there's a way!

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Screenshot_20220420-201839_Chrome.jpg

My bad, I didn't realise 270 answers over the last 3 (three) years from forum members was a large percentage. Silly Pesky Numbers™.

Cute Quip™ was free of charge though.
Fair point. I only knew about this possible product last year when I got my Jeep. It may have been a better response if it was posted in the main forum (maybe it was, I'm not sure).

I don't know Bestop's business model, so maybe it isn't worth it for them. It would be a nice product, and I surely would buy it, but I'm one a little too few obviously.

Samfamaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Hello guys, I have a JT not a JL but I joined so I could post to this thread. I got tired of waiting so I bought a JK retractable sunshade and did some minor mods to make it fit my sunrider. Bestops could easily modify the sunrider mold to accept the JK sunshade.
I tried to contact bestop but they never responded to my message on their site. It seems like a no brainer to offer it this way.

20220813_171529.jpg

20220813_171548.jpg

20220806_203240.jpg

20220806_211828.jpg

Samfamaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Hello guys, I have a JT not a JL but I joined so I could post to this thread. I got tired of waiting so I bought a JK retractable sunshade and did some minor mods to make it fit my sunrider. Bestops could easily modify the sunrider mold to accept the JK sunshade.
I tried to contact bestop but they never responded to my message on their site. It seems like a no brainer to offer it this way.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Retractable Sunshade 20220806_211828

Right now I'm just using a paracord loop attached to the factory front latch points to hook the sunshade into when pulled out. I'm going make some new hooks on the sunshade that will hook right into the stock position.

This only works if you have a sunrider. Be careful of the plastic on the sunrider, Very brittle. I cracked a piece when I bumped it moving it around. Maybe Bestop would give me a factory sunrider/sunshade if they decide to make these.
Sponsored