Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
…I wouldn’t have installed it!

Jeep Wrangler JL If I Had Known Light Bar is So Loud… 70AA6A59-8C90-4162-8BFB-6E222831234E

This thing is super bright and awesome, but is crazy loud! With or without the black cover, it makes no difference.

What are your experiences with light bars? This is my first.
Sponsored

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a light bar the goes on the inside of the windshield. I’m not sure who makes it though.

Zero_Accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Systems Engineer

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
That would be Quadratec, with their 750$ interior light bar...

...better than KC's price, of course THAT'S the one that I want, but not for 2100$ BUCKS! You could regear with that cash.
I can vouch for the Quadratec light bar. I don't have any pics of the light output but it definitely gets the job done.

Only two issues is the light does tend to bleed into the cabben but honestly on the trail and being focused on driving it really doesn't bother me. The other thing is you do lose a little bit of your view but occasionally having to duck a little when first in line at stop lights isn't a huge deal..

20211013_221046.jpg
20211013_221202.jpg

Sponsored

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
I'm a tradionalist and enjoy the A-pillar lights and the lights that I have on the front bumper, Light bars are bright-but when I heard how loud they were I decided against them. Funny though this is one of the first mods new jeepers do. But to each their own. Keep the Jeep wave going,

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
I had a windshield light bar and it was loud AF. At 60 it sounded like a pack of feral spider monkeys trying to get into my soft top. I dropped the light down and mounted it at the bottom of the windshield. I don't really love that look, but with the night driving I do year round I do like the extra light.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I don’t have any experience with interior light bars in a Jeep, but I have decades of experience with them installed in cars, and the bumping and jostling of driving always eventually works them away from the shroud and the windshield, and that results in more interior light reflection, distraction, and loss of night vision, so I’m not a fan.

I lowered my seat in my Jeep to create more headroom and reduce the need for the “stoplight crouch”. Adding an interior impediment that further shortens the windshield would be another non-starter for me, and I’m only 6’3”.

You can turn the desert into daylight with modern A-pillar and bumper-mounted LED lights, so none of the above sacrifices are necessary.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Not personally a fan. Just feel they are played out, but to each their own. If it’s annoying sell it and buy some smaller a-pillar lights.
Yeah…I’m probably going to end up selling it, but I do plan on late night and very early trail rides that I would really make use of it.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
There’s a light bar the goes on the inside of the windshield. I’m not sure who makes it though.
I really wanted the inside windshield one, but apparently it doesn’t work with the Sky One Touch roof (which I have). Bummer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I can vouch for the Quadratec light bar. I don't have any pics of the light output but it definitely gets the job done.

Only two issues is the light does tend to bleed into the cabben but honestly on the trail and being focused on driving it really doesn't bother me. The other thing is you do lose a little bit of your view but occasionally having to duck a little when first in line at stop lights isn't a huge deal..

Jeep Wrangler JL If I Had Known Light Bar is So Loud… 20211013_221202
Jeep Wrangler JL If I Had Known Light Bar is So Loud… 20211013_221202
I wish I could have done this option, but apparently it doesn’t work with the Sky One Touch.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I'm a tradionalist and enjoy the A-pillar lights and the lights that I have on the front bumper, Light bars are bright-but when I heard how loud they were I decided against them. Funny though this is one of the first mods new jeepers do. But to each their own. Keep the Jeep wave going,
I’ll probably end up just doing a-pillar lights and bumper lights. This is my third Wrangler (my first being about 24 years ago) and second build. My first build (back in the 90’s) I only did a lift, tires, front bumper, and sound system. I’ve always wanted to try a light bar, but NEVER again! 😂

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I had a windshield light bar and it was loud AF. At 60 it sounded like a pack of feral spider monkeys trying to get into my soft top. I dropped the light down and mounted it at the bottom of the windshield. I don't really love that look, but with the night driving I do year round I do like the extra light.
How does it sound down by the cowl?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Remember light pattern when you're choosing a light. A light with a broad beam, one that reflects not just out to the side, but up/down will reflect off the hood. A tighter pattern would work better there; however, you may not be looking for driving/spot beams. Also, the higher the light is mounted, the better for long distance; however, as you've found, light bars can suck for drivers. If you're not racing Baja, then a light bar may not be what you want. The other thing to remember is you may be chasing diminishing returns. How much light do you need, a couple of driving lights mounted to the bumper will likely provide more light than you can use/need. I always recommend two Hella 500/700 lights because they are about $75/pair and provide enough light to use at 65 mph, remembering of course that most of the time off road, we're driving 25 - 40 mph. You can't outrun a Hella 500/700 driving light at normal speeds.

You can buy a $750 lightbar (ten times the cost of a couple of Hella 500), but the amount of usable light, what you will need in your driving conditions, probably could be served for much less money and easier to mount/install and wire.
Sponsored