Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I thought the XR had Iron knuckles too but in the video he said "Steel Knuckles"..?
It's cast iron. Most people seem to use iron and steel interchangeably, though.
Sponsored

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Extreme Recon, 2021 Toyota
So as someone who's worked on and driven a couple XR's:

Pros:
  • Gears if 4.56 is what you are after
  • Axle (if you get the iron knuckles - not everyone does)
Cons:
  • Suspension is crap and you will need to replace/supplement it heavily
  • Tire carrier is marginal for anything bigger than 35's
So yeah it's worth the $4k but just; it is not a super value in any sense.
So true about the suspension. Already going to lift mine. No flex.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better brakes on the XR? In-depth video look at Extreme Recon Package 6B21B412-39A6-4BAB-BD06-499212512C11

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So true about the suspension. Already going to lift mine. No flex.

Jeep Wrangler JL Better brakes on the XR? In-depth video look at Extreme Recon Package 6B21B412-39A6-4BAB-BD06-499212512C11
Frustrating isn't it? The XR talks the talk but can't walk the walk.

The good news is you can sort that out pretty easily. I've helped install MetalCloak game changers on two XR's and they both run great now. 2.5" if you are staying with the 35's or the 3.5" if you plan on 37's or bigger.

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The good news is you can sort that out pretty easily. I've helped install MetalCloak game changers on two XR's and they both run great now. 2.5" if you are staying with the 35's or the 3.5" if you plan on 37's or bigger.
I ordered the Rock Krawler 2.5 flex. The parts are trickling in as we speak. I plan on keeping the 35's for now.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the Rock Krawler 2.5 flex. The parts are trickling in as we speak. I plan on keeping the 35's for now.
Changing shocks?

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Very frustrating. I got the XR because I never owned a Jeep before and I didn't want to have to lift anything as I knew less than zero about lifts. Now, in less than 2 weeks since I took that pic on that pebble I can measure pinion angle and figure out my caster :CWL:

A lot of it was thanks....well 99.9% is thanks to @Roky...I'm still taking credit for the one or two Youtube videos I watched :rock:

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Very frustrating. I got the XR because I never owned a Jeep before and I didn't want to have to lift anything as I knew less than zero about lifts. Now, in less than 2 weeks since I took that pic on that pebble I can measure pinion angle and figure out my caster :CWL:
That's awesome. Knowing how your Jeep works is one of the best investments you can make, next to off road driving lessons.

By knowing how it works you can fix it when you break it off road (as you will as it's part of the fun) as well as knowing how to get the most out of it because you know how it works.

This is why I love helping new Jeep owners learn to wrench by helping with lift installs and all sorts of other projects so they become self sufficient.

You remind me of a nurse I helped out with a lift install and also some bumpers. Now whenever she see's me around town she drags me out to her Jeep to show me the most recent project she's done. Really cool to see how she went from being afraid to use a torque wrench to swapping gears on her own!

I see @Roky has you on the RK path which is a good one; and he probably knows more about that product line then RK themselves. Have fun ;)

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome. Knowing how your Jeep works is one of the best investments you can make, next to off road driving lessons.

By knowing how it works you can fix it when you break it off road (as you will as it's part of the fun) as well as knowing how to get the most out of it because you know how it works.

This is why I love helping new Jeep owners learn to wrench by helping with lift installs and all sorts of other projects so they become self sufficient.

You remind me of a nurse I helped out with a lift install and also some bumpers. Now whenever she see's me around town she drags me out to her Jeep to show me the most recent project she's done. Really cool to see how she went from being afraid to use a torque wrench to swapping gears on her own!

I see @Roky has you on the RK path which is a good one; and he probably knows more about that product line then RK themselves. Have fun ;)
Thank you. I never thought I would be swapping out parts on a 4 month old vehicle before.....but here I am and I have no REGERTS.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thank you. I never thought I would be swapping out parts on a 4 month old vehicle before.....but here I am and I have no REGERTS.
By the way how do you explain the scabby knuckles and random cuts and scabs from wrenching?

Jazzicon

First Name
Jasmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By the way how do you explain the scabby knuckles and random cuts and scabs from wrenching?
I just tell people I shouldn't have to ask someone to do something more than once :LOL: