JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
What if I told you it’s possible to price out a non-392 rubicon for $70k
Yeah. Because Jeeps are all over priced. Lol. Always have been. Especially now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

@Ratbert or anyone else, how about edited and detailing in the first post the differences for those of us that don't can't watch the video?
I'll update the original if someone wants to put the list together, but mine will be a diesel....no XR available for it.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Speaking only for me, if only looking to stay with 35's it may be ok, otherwise...

Meh...

-- Mopar beadlocks are ok, but sure if I like them (yet).

-- Mopar lift kit is limited in that nothing is adjustable and it's still the same cheap stamped steel as the OEM non lifted hardware

-- 4.56 would not have been enough gear

-- I had the Mopar tailgate reinforcement and relocation kit and the studs started pulling out and the tailgate still rattled (with 35's). I upgraded to a CavFab and LOD camera relocation kit and am very happy with that choice.

-- The XR fender extensions were $70

-- I already upgraded my knuckles when I installed Dynatrac ball joints, RCV's, and trusses.

With that said, I need to look into the XR brakes because it would be nice to have factory big brakes so that is the one thing the XR kit has that would be something I want (other than the fender extensions I already installed).
X2

Except I already did the Alcon brake upgrade, and I have the MOPAR lift and want to upgrade the shocks.

I like the availability of factory package upgrades, but I wish they’d step up and match the component quality available in the aftermarket. Why not contract with one of the really high quality brake manufacturers, as so many motorcycle and car companies do? Jeep keeps “upgrading” brakes and they still rate “among the worst“ as of 2020. How many improvements can they make and still suck? Just work out a deal with one of the top brake system vendors and make fantastic brakes with longer braided steel lines an option, so the Jeep is ready for lift and heavier wheels and tires. I would have stepped up for that and heavier axels in a blink.

Last edited:

kilian73

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR (ordered 11/4)
First off, I just want to say that I have no idea what I'm talking about in regards to jeeps and suspension...

I have my first jeep on order, a jlur xr w/steel bumper and winch/brush guard. I am hoping to make this my daily driver and to drive it with my wife and 2 sons on family vacations while hitting some trails on the way. I am currently driving a 2015 suburban.

There is a lot of talk on these forums, and this thread in particular, about the shortcomings of the wranglers suspension. Can someone help me out here and give me some specific advise (so I can price some stuff out) on what parts I should add to give me the best driving experiance for a mix of highway and offroad?

I have heard different control arms and shocks are recommended. Which ones would suit my situation best and about what should I expect to pay for them and to get them installed? I have also read that thread about exact center steering stabalizer, is that a good idea? Are there better ones to get? Should I swap out the springs? Do i need to get a spacer or something because of all the weight on front of the jeep (winch, stell bumper...) I'm lost here .... so ...

Jeep Wrangler JL Better brakes on the XR? In-depth video look at Extreme Recon Package like i'm 5

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

First off, I just want to say that I have no idea what I'm talking about in regards to jeeps and suspension...

I have my first jeep on order, a jlur xr w/steel bumper and winch/brush guard. I am hoping to make this my daily driver and to drive it with my wife and 2 sons on family vacations while hitting some trails on the way. I am currently driving a 2015 suburban.

There is a lot of talk on these forums, and this thread in particular, about the shortcomings of the wranglers suspension. Can someone help me out here and give me some specific advise (so I can price some stuff out) on what parts I should add to give me the best driving experiance for a mix of highway and offroad?

I have heard different control arms and shocks are recommended. Which ones would suit my situation best and about what should I expect to pay for them and to get them installed? I have also read that thread about exact center steering stabalizer, is that a good idea? Are there better ones to get? Should I swap out the springs? Do i need to get a spacer or something because of all the weight on front of the jeep (winch, stell bumper...) I'm lost here .... so ...

Jeep Wrangler JL Better brakes on the XR? In-depth video look at Extreme Recon Package like i'm 5
Consider driving it stock for a while first. A stock Wrangler is incredibly capable as delivered. You might discover that you'll want to upgrade things as you go, but stock might also work fine for whatever you end up doing with it.

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR Sting Gray - Ordered 2/10/22
Clubs

I feel like I’m kind of in your boat as well, although I’ve already gone down the rabbit hole and have read and researched a lot already on this forum. Not sure if yours will have stiffer springs since you ordered the steel bumper and winch from the factory, but I will lose about 1/2 inch by adding those to my JLUR XR. My plan is to add a 1 inch spacer up front to compensate for the loss and remove factory rake (cheap mod). I probably won’t change out any other suspension components until I’ve had a chance to test out the ride and limits myself. I need to see if I have any tracking or wander issues…some do and some don’t. I need a sense of how firm or soft I want the ride relative to factory. Ride quality is fairly subjective, so I need a reference point. With that said, either a stock Rubi or an XR Rubi is very capable but will have its limits. You just need to figure out where those limits are for you specifically and for the trails that you frequent. Good luck!

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I'll update the original if someone wants to put the list together, but mine will be a diesel....no XR available for it.
I guess the order guide spells it out...not much for those that modify their vehicles anyway (I wouldn't buy 35" BFG AT tires for example, and wouldn't find the lsd of value):

17X8.0 BEADLOCK CAPABLE WHEEL (WFC)
35" TIRE SUSPENSION (SDG)
4.56 REAR AXLE RATIO (DMU)
ANTI-LOCK 4-WHEEL DISC PERF BRAKES (BR4)
ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE (DSA)
DANA M210 WIDE HD TUBE FRONT AXLE (DJV)
DANA M220 WIDE REAR AXLE (DRF)
GVW RATING - 5900# (Z1L) - W/EC1
GVW RATING - 5900# (Z1L) - W/ERG
GVW RATING - 6100# (Z1M) - W/ERG
INJECTION MOLDED BLACK REAR BUMPER (MBC)
LT315/70R17C 113/110S TIRES (TVC)
MIC RUBICON HIGHLINE FLARE (MMZ)
MOPAR HINGE-GATE REINFORCEMENT (XDB)
MOPAR JACK SPACER (CXK)
MOPAR TIRE RELOCATION KIT (XFP)
WHEEL FLARE EXTENSIONS (NLA)

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I have an XR, went to the dealer for warranty repair in January (5 days after purchase), the service associate marked my car as aftermarket/dealer installed for my hinge gate reinforcement and tire carrier relocation kit. Now March, went through arbitration with the FCA rep still saying it was aftermarket, so lost, even providing my window sticker and factory built sheet. So just a heads up, just cause it is a factory installed option, Jeep will lie say it’s aftermarket to get out of fixing it.
I went through arbitration on my ‘19 JLR and the FCA rep was a complete asshole. Their rebuttal was asinine and his comments in the hearing really pissed me off.

He was trying to blame my steering issues on going off-road. My reply was the steering was so bad I couldn’t drive it up the mountain to *get* to the trails. What a process.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

Jeep inexplicably uses the same lower control arms on the Rubicons as they do the other trims, even though the Rubicons sit higher. The Mopar lift LCAs are around .25” longer than stock, which brought my ‘19 Rubicon from 4.7* to 6.0* caster. That helped with the flighty feeling on the freeway (that Jeep was a hot mess, tho).

I put Metal Cloak adjustable LCAs on my ‘20 JLUR. The starting caster was again 4.7*. I had the shop adjust them longer and my caster is now around 7* and I like it.

I’m not sure what LCAs the XR comes with (maybe the Mopar lift LCAs?). If it feels a little flighty at freeway speeds, I’d recommend getting your caster checked and putting adjustable LCAs on and get it to where you like it.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I guess the order guide spells it out...not much for those that modify their vehicles anyway (I wouldn't buy 35" BFG AT tires for example, and wouldn't find the lsd of value):

17X8.0 BEADLOCK CAPABLE WHEEL (WFC)
35" TIRE SUSPENSION (SDG)
4.56 REAR AXLE RATIO (DMU)
ANTI-LOCK 4-WHEEL DISC PERF BRAKES (BR4)
ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE (DSA)
DANA M210 WIDE HD TUBE FRONT AXLE (DJV)
DANA M220 WIDE REAR AXLE (DRF)
GVW RATING - 5900# (Z1L) - W/EC1
GVW RATING - 5900# (Z1L) - W/ERG
GVW RATING - 6100# (Z1M) - W/ERG
INJECTION MOLDED BLACK REAR BUMPER (MBC)
LT315/70R17C 113/110S TIRES (TVC)
MIC RUBICON HIGHLINE FLARE (MMZ)
MOPAR HINGE-GATE REINFORCEMENT (XDB)
MOPAR JACK SPACER (CXK)
MOPAR TIRE RELOCATION KIT (XFP)
WHEEL FLARE EXTENSIONS (NLA)
Updated the original post to reference yours.

IrrationalCPA

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, F-150 Tremor, 991.2T
I went through arbitration on my ‘19 JLR and the FCA rep was a complete asshole. Their rebuttal was asinine and his comments in the hearing really pissed me off.

He was trying to blame my steering issues on going off-road. My reply was the steering was so bad I couldn’t drive it up the mountain to *get* to the trails. What a process.
Haha that sounds about right. My FCA rep during arbitration didn’t even know what rock sliders were, and then laughed at me for being so adamant that my XR package was factory installed especially cause I didn’t special order it. I sent a note to my attorney generals office for consumer fraud, as I did not go out of my way to find a Jeep w the XR package after the press release and glowing auto magazine offers for them to now say it’s not factory. Hopefully they can clear up the confusion.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Haha that sounds about right. My FCA rep during arbitration didn’t even know what rock sliders were, and then laughed at me for being so adamant that my XR package was factory installed especially cause I didn’t special order it. I sent a note to my attorney generals office for consumer fraud, as I did not go out of my way to find a Jeep w the XR package after the press release and glowing auto magazine offers for them to now say it’s not factory. Hopefully they can clear up the confusion.
Wow. That is bad, but sadly not surprising.

I really had to bite my tongue a lot. I wanted to say, ”you DO realize this is a Wrangler? What are you complaining about re: off-roading?!”

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
There's a TSB for the ball joint noise on 2021s. Mine was finger tight.
Thanks. I have retorqued mine, and they now rarely click, but there is the occasional loud pop, as I think they spin in the knuckle.
Sponsored