Sponsored

Best coating for sliders, bumpers, tire carrier ect.

Arcticcat843

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Just wondering what you guys have Coated your exterior parts with? I bought motobilt bumpers and tire carrier last fall and coated them myself with spray can duplicolor bedliner. Followed the instructions perfectly, spent over 200 dollars on products and it currently looks terrible. Didn’t even last 6 months. It literally comes off in spots with a pressure washer. I spent 2 Days sanding and prepping this stuff before I painted it, needless to say, really disappointed.

So, I’ve called around and found a company to sandblast them pretty reasonable to start over but can’t decide what to coat them with this time. I’ve got some prices from powder coaters and lineX both roughly 600 dollars. My thinking before was if I use some kind of at home diy stuff I could touch it up later if needed, but not sure if I want to try a different diy product or what.
I guess at this point money isn’t really the issue here. I just don’t want to have to pull them off a 2nd time in another 6 months.
Sponsored

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Just wondering what you guys have Coated your exterior parts with? I bought motobilt bumpers and tire carrier last fall and coated them myself with spray can duplicolor bedliner. Followed the instructions perfectly, spent over 200 dollars on products and it currently looks terrible. Didn’t even last 6 months. It literally comes off in spots with a pressure washer. I spent 2 Days sanding and prepping this stuff before I painted it, needless to say, really disappointed.

So, I’ve called around and found a company to sandblast them pretty reasonable to start over but can’t decide what to coat them with this time. I’ve got some prices from powder coaters and lineX both roughly 600 dollars. My thinking before was if I use some kind of at home diy stuff I could touch it up later if needed, but not sure if I want to try a different diy product or what.
I guess at this point money isn’t really the issue here. I just don’t want to have to pull them off a 2nd time in another 6 months.
Raptor liner, all day. Check prices on Amazon, you can also get a tintable kit and customize your color.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
So, I'm in upstate NY- we also experience cold, salty winters. One of my good friends studied Autobody and gave me a crash course of the basics:
Rust is basically cancer. The only way to stop it is to get rid of it. Wire brushing and grinding/ sanding will help, but it can come back. Get it as clean as possible, use a Metal prep "Rust eater" solution. Once that is done, wipe it down with acetone or IPA, let it dry, then paint it with POR-15 sealant. Once that's coated, you can paint it to protect it from UV fading. Then you can clean and touch up as needed post wheeling trips.
First go around, I rattle canned my Motobilt bumper. It rusted 2 months later. The following summer (2020) I used a wire brush on my drill and a flap wheel on my angle grinder to clear the rust and shit off, then did the process I outlined but could not get the rust eater. It looks MUCH better than Rattle can only, but the rust is starting to come through, again. I have all the supplies and I'm hoping to do it right this summer.
I have some JCR sliders the previous owner painted with Duplicolor bedliner, and it's starting to do the same thing, Plus the powder coating on my rear bumper is already rusting. I may try to do this in stages this summer. We'll see.
Duplicolor sucks for anything that's going to see serious wear. I did it on my old TJ and it was chipping or peeling after a couple weeks. I had a friend who used Rhino Liner on her XJ, and another friend who did Bullet Liner on the roof of his FJ Cruiser- both held up much better.

Panda Mafia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Got my bumper delivered the other day.
Got quoted $1200 - $1700 Canadian for powder coat. Was left speechless. In my head i thought $300 - $400 bucks. Going to get few more quotes.
Sponsored