Sponsored

CincyJLRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I honestly don't think those are "real" questions...no offense. I agree the additional cost to Jeep for those upgraded parts is marginal but probably more than we think. Not sure how many specialized parts that they have to procure for the XR package, but that adds additional costs beyond the cost differential of the part itself (different suppliers, manufacturing processes, add'l inventory, volume pricing, etc). I think what they charge the consumer is reasonable and competitive relative to the aftermarket costs.

Is the profit margin huge on this package? Absolutely...but so is the $4 cookie that Crumbl charges for something that I "think" costs pennies to make (probably costs more).

All producers of products have to balance supply and demand. I don't think there is a shortage of people that desire the XR package and not all of them are "suckers". People choose this package for many valid reasons. Do discerning consumers purchase products based on what they "think" it costs to produce OR based on the relative cost & quality of the product across the options available? The former can make you sick to think about and the latter is the best you can do (aside from reducing the demand and price by not buying any product).

Hopefully this doesn't sound like a rant back to you specifically. Just sharing my perspective.
I totally get where you're coming from. And I didn't mean to sound like those upgrades aren't nice. I just don't think when people say it will cost more than $4k to do all that is really the correct perspective. But I get why people think its a good value. Had I known how much it was going to cost for wheels and tires and a lift I could see going that route but then again I'd still have a pretty "stock" jeep.
Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
would those "bigger brakes" be the same bigger brakes that are part of the Willys package?
or is this yet a 3rd different brake variant?

anyone looked up the P/Ns yet?
I believe Willys has the (BR6) Disc HD Brakes
I believe XR has the (BR4) Disc Perf Brakes

ghstlogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR
AnnDee's sticky has them both different:
1649435226053.png
Thanks for this..any noticeable different between 3.6 XR and 392 XR shocks? Or just cool Fox branding all over it? Part numbers are relatively similar from what I see. I can prob find out on googs but I’m being lazy lol

392 Xtreme Recon:

Front: 68546614AD
Rear: 68546615AC

2021 3.6 JLUR Xtreme Recon:

Front: 68546612AC
Rear: 68546613AB

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR Sting Gray - Ordered 2/10/22
Clubs

I totally get where you're coming from. And I didn't mean to sound like those upgrades aren't nice. I just don't think when people say it will cost more than $4k to do all that is really the correct perspective. But I get why people think its a good value. Had I known how much it was going to cost for wheels and tires and a lift I could see going that route but then again I'd still have a pretty "stock" jeep.
I hear ya as well. When I factored in the below invoice pricing, the XR package was about $3,400. Certainly there are components that I don't "need" and components that will need to be upgraded at some point (suspension, tires). It was more a matter of some nice to haves, factory installation/warranty, and softening the blow of aftermarket items/costs that I could get approved by the boss/wife. I agree that people should have reasonable expectations on what they're getting with the XR package, which may be more than they will ever need for some fun on the trails. Good day!

Sponsored

StinGrayRXR

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR Sting Gray - Ordered 2/10/22
Clubs

Who plans to swap out the shocks on their XR? I think that's one of the first things I plan to do. The rear ones are the standard rubi shocks but the fronts are fox correct? They just don't have the fox graphics on it I believe.
I most likely will as well but may wait until I upgrade the entire suspension. I could be wrong but I believe someone mentioned the XR mopar shocks are tuned similarly to the Fox but they are definitely NOT the Fox.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Based on the feedback in this thread I'm going to pick up the longer Mopar LCA's. I don't think my XR drives bad at all but it's only been 350 miles so far. When I first picked it up the tires were 45+ lbs and it floated all over the road. Once corrected it felt much better.
Long control arms will help a lot. You will be shocked how much better on the highway at speed ;)

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
I hear ya as well. When I factored in the below invoice pricing, the XR package was about $3,400. Certainly there are components that I don't "need" and components that will need to be upgraded at some point (suspension, tires). It was more a matter of some nice to haves, factory installation/warranty, and softening the blow of aftermarket items/costs that I could get approved by the boss/wife. I agree that people should have reasonable expectations on what they're getting with the XR package, which may be more than they will ever need for some fun on the trails. Good day!
That’s a good point about below invoice pricing. Realistically most people on this forum would only be paying $3500 or less for this

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks for this..any noticeable different between 3.6 XR and 392 XR shocks? Or just cool Fox branding all over it? Part numbers are relatively similar from what I see. I can prob find out on googs but I’m being lazy lol

392 Xtreme Recon:

Front: 68546614AD
Rear: 68546615AC

2021 3.6 JLUR Xtreme Recon:

Front: 68546612AC
Rear: 68546613AB
AnnDee has the specs for the 392XR on his spreadsheet as well.

Going down the rabbit hole a little on your question. I don't know that there is a difference other than some travel.

The standard 392 has Aluminum Fox's per the spec sheet, but leaves off those two words on the 392 XR.

Pulling pics from the forum, they do look like steel bodies (part number is stamped) and don't have Fox logos.

Specs:
Jeep Wrangler JL Better brakes on the XR? In-depth video look at Extreme Recon Package 1649447713812

392:
Jeep Wrangler JL Better brakes on the XR? In-depth video look at Extreme Recon Package 1649447759661

392XR:
Jeep Wrangler JL Better brakes on the XR? In-depth video look at Extreme Recon Package 1649447787724

Lightguy

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon Sting Grey
I have an XR, went to the dealer for warranty repair in January (5 days after purchase), the service associate marked my car as aftermarket/dealer installed for my hinge gate reinforcement and tire carrier relocation kit. Now March, went through arbitration with the FCA rep still saying it was aftermarket, so lost, even providing my window sticker and factory built sheet. So just a heads up, just cause it is a factory installed option, Jeep will lie say it’s aftermarket to get out of fixing it.
WTF!!! I would escalate it.
I would take that up the chain until it was corrected.
I honestly don't think those are "real" questions...no offense. I agree the additional cost to Jeep for those upgraded parts is marginal but probably more than we think. Not sure how many specialized parts that they have to procure for the XR package, but that adds additional costs beyond the cost differential of the part itself (different suppliers, manufacturing processes, add'l inventory, volume pricing, etc). I think what they charge the consumer is reasonable and competitive relative to the aftermarket costs.

Is the profit margin huge on this package? Absolutely...but so is the $4 cookie that Crumbl charges for something that I "think" costs pennies to make (probably costs more).

All producers of products have to balance supply and demand. I don't think there is a shortage of people that desire the XR package and not all of them are "suckers". People choose this package for many valid reasons. Do discerning consumers purchase products based on what they "think" it costs to produce OR based on the relative cost & quality of the product across the options available? The former can make you sick to think about and the latter is the best you can do (aside from reducing the demand and price by not buying any product).

Hopefully this doesn't sound like a rant back to you specifically. Just sharing my perspective.
I agree 100%! I did my own shopping around to understand the value proposition & 5 Wheels w/35" KO2's was 4$k I could get $1500 for my take off's. Small lift & shocks $2k was the lowest price for decent quality. I'm in Canada so these are Cdn$$. I haven't touched brakes, longer LCA's, hinge reinforcement, spare relocation. It still feels like a great deal to me. Bonus all covered as factory original for warranty. It just doesn't feel like price gouging to me.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@Ratbert or anyone else, how about edited and detailing in the first post the differences for those of us that don't can't watch the video?

rmenley

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Completely agree with this but I would also say you can make that argument on the price "gouging" for a Rubicon XR. But for the sport or Willy's XR - I think it's a HELL of a deal.

Again- I just sold the wheels and tires for 3,200. I've never sold my stock Rubicon wheels and tires for more than 1000. That's a 2k profit margin from my original process of buying a jeep and then immediately upgrading wheels/tires.

Last few jeeps I've had - I've added a 2-2.5 inch lift. I'm not going to with this one for the time being. I'll likely add a spacer in the front and then do lower CA's and a track bar. decent suspension lift to complete whatever is incomplete at minimal cost. When it is time to go bigger, there's no doubt someone will pay for 1.5 inch springs, when people are shelling out 2-300 already for stock rubicon suspensions which add virtually nothing to begin with. You'll get $500 easily for an XR suspension.

I bought the Willy's so I'm getting the wide track Rubi axles. 4.56 gears? No need for a re-gear at all now. I would argue you don't need to re-gear a 4.10 rubicon either, but if you're buying a stock Willy's you'd get the 3.45 non wide track non-44 front axle so the cost of the package an upgrade alone is worth it. Just my 2 cents. I'm biased because I also bought it lol. But I'm also typically a guy who has bought a stripped down sport and built it up the way I want it.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
WTF!!! I would escalate it.
If he/she/they was at arbitration, sounds like he/she/they escalated it about as far as it could go.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
People keep saying it would cost more to add all of those components so its a good deal but is that really the question? No, the real question is whether those components are worth $4,000 plus tax more THAN what a non-XR comes with because you already have those components. Obviously to go buy 35s, wheels, gears etc is going to cost more than $4000 but Jeep isn't giving that to you IN ADDITION to what everyone else has. They are substituting it from scratch and the cost difference between each component to them is probably miniscule but they are charging a $4,000 premium to get it. What do you think it costs Jeep to install the larger brakes -if that is even true? I bet damn near nothing. Maybe a few dollars per rig. The longer camera over the shorter one? Nothing. The gears? Who knows if it costs Jeep more to install one set over the other. So, damn right that's good marketing for Jeep and somewhat of a suckers upcharge if you ask me.

I can do a lot to my Jeep with $4,000 and I still have all of those components.
At least it's not as bad as the massive suckers upcharge of the 392!! Still can't rap my mind around the $79k price! That 392 engine is not an expensive engine and has been around forever.

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
At least it's not as bad as the massive suckers upcharge of the 392!! Still can't rap my mind around the $79k price! That 392 engine is not an expensive engine and has been around forever.
What if I told you it’s possible to price out a non-392 rubicon for $70k
Sponsored