Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
We love our Aliner Expedition. I've towed it 65 MPH just to test it and it tracked fine. All of our camp sites are less than 50 miles from our home and most of the secondary roads are 35 MPH max. Outdoor shower is perfect for Hawaii. I added 3 walmart 7 gallon jugs and use my Ryobi pump to move them into the 10 gallon tank when it nears empty.
GF shot down RTT because she's doesn't want to climb down in the middle of the night to pee and worries about the dog and cat.
We set up camp in less than 60 seconds, then go wheeling, no RTT to snag on trees. No need to set up when we get home late. (60 seconds is just to get the A-Frame up. Stabilizers, etc take a little longer.)
Came with 12 V Lead Acid and 2K Watt inverter. I added 200AH Lithium and a pure sine wave inverter. That keeps us powered up for several days, but I do have a Honda 2K gen to quick charge the batteries. Plan on adding solar.

EDIT:
The extreme offroad package is not extreme but it's OK on decent off roads.
Sponsored

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
My 5x8 squaredrop Mid-Range hiker from Colorado is going to be built this May. I am pretty excited. I'll post pictures when I get it. Fits a queen size mattress in the cabin and has a decent size rear galley for cooking/storage. 2 doors 2 windows with screens. And a pretty nice roof rack to mount a RTT if you want, I will be mounting a small tepui or yakima on mine eventually. Mine also comes with a MaxxFan, 11lb propane tank and a 12V plug for a Jackery, they also sell lithium battery packages but they add quite a bit of weight to the trailer. You can get nice awnings on them as well, I didn't order any though. Mine came up shy under 11k before title/taxes.

I only need power for the 12V fan and lights. So the Jackery will be more than sufficient.

Trailer comes with brakes and only weighs 1,000lbs dry. I estimate mine will be about 1,300lbs loaded. So super light. Word is the 2 door can safely and comfortably tow anything under 2,000lbs. The 2,000lbs limit is conservative but you should definitely follow it. I wouldn't tow over 2,000lbs.

Hiker has two locations. One in Indiana one in Colorado. I would seriously consider ordering through Indiana if you can. I ordered through Colorado. Indiana has their shit together with short lead times and superb customer service. Colorado is struggling to meet demand and their customer service has become trash. My experience with them has been mediocre, but the trailers are supposed to be super nice and there is a large community of owners.

Last edited:

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
, they also sell lithium battery packages but they add quite a bit of weight to the trailer. . Word is the 2 door can safely and comfortably tow anything under 2,000lbs. The 2,000lbs limit is conservative but you should definitely follow it. I wouldn't tow over 2,000lbs.
Sounds like the ultimate JL camper.
Lithium batteres are very light. I put two @ 100AH - 12V in my Aframe. I carry 14gal extra water but move that up front when towing. Water is heavy. Lead acid batteries are very heavy.

We should start a new thread on max safe towing in a JL. I used to think 2K was the max until I started pulling 3K with no problem. Trailer brakes are mandatory for 3K lbs at 60 MPH. I don't have trailer brakes but mostly tow it 35 MPH or under on the secondary roads here.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
We should start a new thread on max safe towing in a JL. I used to think 2K was the max until I started pulling 3K with no problem. Trailer brakes are mandatory for 3K lbs at 60 MPH. I don't have trailer brakes but mostly tow it 35 MPH or under on the secondary roads here.
Yes you can tow more. But unlike going over payload, going over towing capacity does create liability issues. Going over payload technically does too, but it is generally not enforced. Towing over the limit you could get in trouble if anything happens.

Hiker's lithium package added over 50lbs of weight including the inverters and mounts. It was also about close to $2,000. For our use which is to power a 12V fan and some 12V lights it just seemed overkill. So we went with a jackery and 100W solar panels.

Last edited:

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Yes you can tow more. But unlike going over payload, going over towing capacity does create liability issues. Going over payload technically does too, but it is generally not enforced. Towing over the limit you could get in trouble if anything happens.

Hiker's lithium package added over 50lbs of weight including the inverters and mounts. It was also about close to $2,000. For our use which is to power a 12V fan and some 12V lights it just seemed overkill. So we went with a jackery and 100W solar panels.
Agreed, liability is the big risk.

They make way more money on accessories than the base unit. $2K is way too much.

Curious Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have read a 13' Scamp trailer can be pulled by a 2 door Jeep. Something I have wanted to get actually, right now I pull a custom build tear drop.
I concur. Scamp's brochure list their 13' trailer at 1200 - 1500 lbs. My guess is if you get one with a bathroom it'll be closer to 1500 lbs. Keeping my eye out for a used one. Might have to order one new.

Jeep Wrangler JL Travel Trailer options for 2-door Screenshot 2022-04-04 194310

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
I have read a 13' Scamp trailer can be pulled by a 2 door Jeep. Something I have wanted to get actually, right now I pull a custom build tear drop.
I towed a Scamp 16ft with my LJ, but I did used weight distribution hitch to help deal with swaying. The main problem I had was being buzzed by large SUV's and or high winds. Towing and stopping no problem trailer brakes. Not a off road / trail camper. The 13in tires is the weakness on my Scamp in my opinion, not up to the load. I had to replace 2 on one trip due to flats.
A second look up "Slim Potato head" on U-tube he had a A-liner now a small fiberglass around 13ft he tows with a Liberty.

Reactions: J0E

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I concur. Scamp's brochure list their 13' trailer at 1200 - 1500 lbs. My guess is if you get one with a bathroom it'll be closer to 1500 lbs. Keeping my eye out for a used one. Might have to order one new.

Jeep Wrangler JL Travel Trailer options for 2-door Screenshot 2022-04-04 194310
Good luck finding a used one. If you get one, people will always want to buy it from you.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Im hoping to see some examples you guys have of a lightweight travel trailer that you recommend and the Jeep manages well

I have a manual transmission so i know the tow capacity is slightly lower - but what do you guys have????
They tow 3300 to 5000 lbs in Europe...I know Draw Tite is rated for 4500 lbs.
In Germany.. two doors have a max towing capacity about 3000lbs... just regulated due to CO2 label...

You can increase to 5000 lbs towing capacity by using a certified towing hook. So I think you shouldn't worry about :) The car definitely is capable to tow those lbs .

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Good luck finding a used one (SCAMP). If you get one, people will always want to buy it from you.
Won't the market correct in a year or so. Late summer 2018 new trailers we really cheap.

Or is this like the ammo and reloading components market where prices are insane for decades?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Won't the market correct in a year or so. Late summer 2018 new trailers we really cheap.

Or is this like the ammo and reloading components market where prices are insane for decades?
Scamp, Casita and Airstream are always in high demand.