392 swap for 2021 JLU

boston3111

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU
Thinking about doing the 392 6.4 swap and looking into long term reliability. Anyone done this swap and ran into any serious issues?
Sponsored

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Might be easier these days just to buy one. 38k for Rubitrux unless doing it yourself.
You think these swap shops will start to lower their prices and cut their profit margins once the 392 becomes more common place? I'd actually like to keep my JL and have Dakota or someone swap it but like you said...cheaper just to sell mine and buy a new 392.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I think you are going to see these guys like Rubitrux fade away just like Currie coil over conversions after TJ's came out.....

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I think you are going to see these guys like Rubitrux fade away just like Currie coil over conversions after TJ's came out.....
Well I hope they start slashing their install prices first to stay relevant...really don't want full time 4wd like in the 392 and I kind of have some sentimental attachment to my current rig so dumping it really isn't in the cards. I think it they could get it done for 25k with a low mileage (20k) newer drivetrain I'd probably bite....but until then I'll just enjoy not getting speeding tickets I guess...

Sponsored

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
I kind of think the factory offered 392 will be gone real soon. A smart manufacturer would then offer a 392 kit as it were that would make it easier for people to do the swap long after the factory 392 option is gone. Smart being the key word here.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
You think these swap shops will start to lower their prices and cut their profit margins once the 392 becomes more common place? I'd actually like to keep my JL and have Dakota or someone swap it but like you said...cheaper just to sell mine and buy a new 392.
Nope. They're a custom shop first, and Hemi swap shop second. Sunk cost fallacy still exists and people will still ask them to V8 swap all sorts of Jeeps, likewise they'll get asked to swap Chevy, Ford, etc stuff into JL's too eventually I'm assuming. Plus, there will always be the people who don't want a new Jeep/ will buy a used one as a toy/ project and will just wante them to do a turn key build (v8, axles, etc). They can still command a premium for their services as well. I'm not saying I have that kind of change, but I've done pretty extensive research into what these swaps take to work, turnkey. What these shops charge is basically a bargain, and the reason that Mopar was able to price the 392 where they did.

I kind of think the factory offered 392 will be gone real soon. A smart manufacturer would then offer a 392 kit as it were that would make it easier for people to do the swap long after the factory 392 option is gone. Smart being the key word here.
My guess is 392 goes away when the other Hemi/ Hellcat platforms go. Just a guess though. Again, not to be a total pessimist, but there's no way we would get a factory "easy" V8 swap kit for the JL- I'm sure legal/ fuel consumption implications for an OEM would be far worse than a custom shop doing the work. So, it's less about being "smart" and making money, and more about being smart and continuing to make money by focusing on what makes them the most money for the most people- which is building Jeeps.

That said... I still think about V8 swapping my JLUR/ trying to buy a second hand 392 Rubi down the road at least once a week.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
Nope. They're a custom shop first, and Hemi swap shop second. Sunk cost fallacy still exists and people will still ask them to V8 swap all sorts of Jeeps, likewise they'll get asked to swap Chevy, Ford, etc stuff into JL's too eventually I'm assuming. Plus, there will always be the people who don't want a new Jeep/ will buy a used one as a toy/ project and will just wante them to do a turn key build (v8, axles, etc). They can still command a premium for their services as well. I'm not saying I have that kind of change, but I've done pretty extensive research into what these swaps take to work, turnkey. What these shops charge is basically a bargain, and the reason that Mopar was able to price the 392 where they did.

My guess is 392 goes away when the other Hemi/ Hellcat platforms go. Just a guess though. Again, not to be a total pessimist, but there's no way we would get a factory "easy" V8 swap kit for the JL- I'm sure legal/ fuel consumption implications for an OEM would be far worse than a custom shop doing the work. So, it's less about being "smart" and making money, and more about being smart and continuing to make money by focusing on what makes them the most money for the most people- which is building Jeeps.

That said... I still think about V8 swapping my JLUR/ trying to buy a second hand 392 Rubi down the road at least once a week.
Have you seen how easy they make it to do a hellcat swap Into just about anything? Very easy. We will see.

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
I think it's possible they go away, but I think it's more plausible that they ramp up as 40mpg regulations get imposed. Fuel will be more expensive, but I'd love to have a 2dr 392 for a play vehicle.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
After all i went through trying to get a 392 here in az without paying 10 to 30 grand over msrp, Im pretty set on swapping one into my current Jeep. Never know though. I change my mind as often as i change my underwear. At least once a week.…

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Have you seen how easy they make it to do a hellcat swap Into just about anything? Very easy. We will see.
"Easy" is always a relative term, though. I consider myself a pretty competent wrench, and I don't know that I would attempt a Hellcat swap, due to the extra complexity of the electronics and the super charger. I might attempt a 392 swap/ build, but that's because the architecture is already existing "from the factory"- in theory. But I can count on one hand the amount of people who don't own a shop and would be able to successfully complete such a job. You may have more competent friends, so your mileage may vary.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
While I do have some love for the Hellcat. The Challenger is a Redeye and I was actually toying with a Hellcat swap into the GTX below it. I was only using the Hellcat as a example and would not swap it into my Jeep.
Easy is relative for sure. Doing swaps in the past where you had to fab everything yourself compared to today where you buy a kit with all the hard work done is doable for most.
I am fortunate to have a nice shop (messy as it is right now) to do it. However, I have done many a swap in the dirt when times were different.

IMG_4387.JPG

IMG_4388.JPG

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I can relay my Jeep engine swap experience since I was one of the early adopters to use the AEV JK hemi swap kit on my 08 JKUR. I don't own a "shop" but had a nice sized shop at my house at the time. This allowed me to remove the body from the frame. I took it step by step and worked on it for a couple weeks after work and on the weekends. Nothing was especially difficult. However, I had an issue with the PCM sent to me by AEV, which caused me fits. I had a few phone calls with Dave Harriton we determined it was a faulty PCM. That was nice to have the owner call and provide some tech help! I helped a few others in the JK community with their swaps. After you go through it once, you learn a lot. It definitely wasn't the same as swapping motors in old muscle cars.

Would I do it now? Probably not since you can get a 392 under invoice from various dealers.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
You can buy all the parts they used to make a 392 Jeep.... So if you really wanted a "factory equivalent" Hemi swap it can be done.

Mopar lists all these parts in their performance catalog - engine, transmission, ECU, etc etc. It is all in the catalog ready for you to order ;)

Or just use AMW or one of the other swap kit vendors.
Sponsored