First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
TJ got different seats, new fabric/ patterns, revised dashboard, revised gauge cluster, new steering wheel, new soft top... basically the same as JK
Plastic windshield surround for safety, and a new digital compass mirror. Brand new radio systems with the first navigation unit in a Wrangler. Also the same year that the Rubicon was introduced, 2003. So a bit of powertrain updates as well. Possibly the same year they switched from the NV3500 to the new 6 speed, but I don't recall the exact year for this.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
TJ got different seats, new fabric/ patterns, revised dashboard, revised gauge cluster, new steering wheel, new soft top... basically the same as JK
Every single piece of the JK interior was changed. Seat colors change every year.

The JL has so far had:
New engine options
New console (unclear why)
New seat colors

Would you consider any of these a refresh? I wouldnā€™t.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Every single piece of the JK interior was changed. Seat colors change every year.

The JL has so far had:
New engine options
New console (unclear why)
New seat colors

Would you consider any of these a refresh? I wouldnā€™t.
TJ got entirely different seats for its ā€œrefreshā€... new cushions, new frame (1ā€ lower), redesigned contour and completely different fabric... thatā€™s not ā€œa color changeā€

Same as JKā€™s seats were changed in ā€˜13

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I've got high hopes for a turbo I6. Dont know if I'm willing to be an early adopter, but I do know it sounds like a great fit for the JL and possibly Ram 1500 since I read they are planning on ditching the Hemi soon.

Reactions: AFD

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Plastic windshield surround for safety, and a new digital compass mirror. Brand new radio systems with the first navigation unit in a Wrangler. Also the same year that the Rubicon was introduced, 2003. So a bit of powertrain updates as well. Possibly the same year they switched from the NV3500 to the new 6 speed, but I don't recall the exact year for this.
6-speed manual didnā€™t come until 2005.

Jeep did replace the 3-speed automatic with the 4-speed auto in 2003 though

Sponsored

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
I'm learning a ton about the TJ refresh in 2003 (if that's what it was--I'm not qualified to say) and that JK refresh about which I knew even less. I remember in 2004 or so, suddenly the new TJs had weird looking tailgates.

My own TJ (mild) build was happily underway in 2003. I followed the Rubicon introduction with great interest, but wouldn't have traded in at the time.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
well before that; my '94 had/had a 4-sped automatic with the locking torque convertor.
Thatā€™s incorrect.

1994 YJ also used a 3-speed automatic transmission (30RH/32RH)

Wrangler did not get a 4-speed automatic until the 2003 model year

Maybe you are thinking of XJ or ZJ

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
you're making assumptions, which lead to your mistake; i was/am absolutely correct when i said J**p used the AW4 before 2003.

i am indeed "thinking of" my '94 XJ (note it listed under my handle next to the post you replied to); i didn't say i was talking about anything else.

my point was that J**p started using the AW4 well before 2003; perhaps as early as '87 in the XJs and MJs. even the ZJ used that same AW4 for the first 6 months of its existence in '92.

my '94 did, and most definitely does, have an AW4 4-speed automatic. the first one lasted over 200K miles before i replaced it because it had started to leak, not because it had failed.

Thatā€™s incorrect.

1994 YJ also used a 3-speed automatic transmission (30RH/32RH)

Wrangler did not get a 4-speed automatic until the 2003 model year

Maybe you are thinking of XJ or ZJ

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
you're making assumptions, which lead to your mistake; i was/am absolutely correct when i said J**p used the AW4 before 2003.

i am indeed "thinking of" my '94 XJ (note it listed under my handle next to the post you replied to); i didn't say i was talking about anything else.

my point was that J**p started using the AW4 well before 2003; perhaps as early as '87 in the XJs and MJs. even the ZJ used that same AW4 for the first 6 months of its existence in '92.

my '94 did, and most definitely does, have an AW4 4-speed automatic. the first one lasted over 200K miles before i replaced it because it had started to leak, not because it had failed.

I never said TJ got the AW4 in 2003... it didnā€™t

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would not wager on it but I think it is more likely than not the 2023 will get a mid-model refresh. UConnect 5 is supposed to be introduced in all Jeeps. The dash will have to change if they actually replace UConnect 4 with UConnect5. There are "rumors" of a different tub design and different hard top design. Maybe the rumored tub design is for the I6 Turbo? Time will tell.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
There are "rumors" of a different tub design and different hard top design. Maybe the rumored tub design is for the I6 Turbo? Time will tell.
Man that is really hard to picture = rolling out a Brand-New new engine in the Dodge hot rod(s), Ram, Wagoneer, and Wrangler all within a year or so of one another? My impression is that Dodge/Jeep isn't that.... 'agile'. Seems they roll stuff out pretty slow = take the 4xe for example. Look how long it's taking them to stick that power plant into a 2nd Jeep? Still haven't even seen a prototype, although it is supposed to debut 'soon'. I think they will be much slower. Maybe Wrangler refresh in 2023 but I bet it will be a couple more years for the I-6. Just my $0.02 tho. (With inflation it's more like $0.0125 cents)
Sponsored