my custom JLU Tailgate Table

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This is from my Show & Tell thread but also sharing here.

When I had my JKU I made this custom tailgate table from Starboard marine board. Basically HDPE plastic board, and a stainless piano hinge and hardware from Lowes and some paracord. Just have to drill a few small holes in the plastic tailgate cover to feed the paracord through to secure it to features on the metal behind it. About $35 in parts. I use it for cutting, cooking with an MSR backpacking stove, etc. I put extra loops of in the paracord supports and ends so I can hang utensils and garbage bags and such. I also embedded some magnets into the face of the board when opened to hold knife blades in place and keep from sliding around or off.

It folds up and secured with a cinch-lock through the middle hole I have drilled in the board, or backup security from the Nite-Ize adjustable bungee that goes to loops tied into the paracord supports.

I also think its great that Jeep designed in a flat cup rest on the new JLU tailgates on the top right.

Table_closed 2.jpg

Table_closed.jpg

Table_open.jpg

Table_open2.jpg
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Very nice!

zhilbert

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S

When I had my JKU I made this custom tailgate table from Starboard marine board. Basically HDPE plastic board, and a stainless piano hinge and hardware from Lowes and some paracord. Just have to drill a few small holes in the plastic tailgate cover to feed the paracord through to secure it to features on the metal behind it. About $35 in parts. I use it for cutting, cooking with an MSR backpacking stove, etc. I put extra loops of in the paracord supports and ends so I can hang utensils and garbage bags and such. I also embedded some magnets into the face of the board when opened to hold knife blades in place and keep from sliding around or off.

It folds up and secured with a cinch-lock through the middle hole I have drilled in the board, or backup security from the Nite-Ize adjustable bungee that goes to loops tied into the paracord supports.

I also think its great that Jeep designed in a flat cup rest on the new JLU tailgates on the top right.

Table_closed 2.jpg

Table_closed.jpg

Table_open.jpg

Table_open2.jpg
Cool. I think you maybe just saved me a couple hundred bucks before I bought the Mopar tailgate table. If I build something like yours, I might use the hole saw to cut some cup holders.

OP
OP
dbungard

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Cool. I think you maybe just saved me a couple hundred bucks before I bought the Mopar tailgate table. If I build something like yours, I might use the hole saw to cut some cup holders.
Yes, it would be easy to add some cup holders. I mount a cup holder onto the track on my Orion cooler on the left. It's also cool how Jeep molded in a flat recess on the top right of the tailgate for a cup rest, but not really a 'holder'

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Nice man

Sponsored

zhilbert

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S

What thickness HDPE board did you use? From the pics it looks like 3/8 or 1/2. Would either of those thicknesses work well, do you think?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am liking that a lot !!! Good Job

OP
OP
dbungard

dbungard

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
What thickness HDPE board did you use? From the pics it looks like 3/8 or 1/2. Would either of those thicknesses work well, do you think?
Mine is 1/2". It all depends on how heavy the items are you want to store on it. You could always go thinner and reinforce it with accessory tracks that would stiffen it up

Sponsored

asni13

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S

Jeep Wrangler JL my custom JLU Tailgate Table Table_open2

This looks great! What did you tie the paracord to behind the trailrail ready plastic piece?

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
is it bad i like this so much more than the ones you can buy with the holes in them? Thanks for posting
Sponsored