Sponsored

Should I Get Alignment at Dealer or Independent Shop?

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I need to take my Wrangler in to get the alignment checked, as my steering wheel is off center a bit. I need to know if it’s a true alignment issue or if the steering wheel just needs adjusting.
But, I’m honestly afraid to let the dealer touch my Jeep with such an involved process. Should I take it to a reputable independent shop instead? Or will Jeep really know what they’re doing and I’m overthinking this? Anyone else get an alignment recently at a Jeep dealer?
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I need to take my Wrangler in to get the alignment checked, as my steering wheel is off center a bit. I need to know if it’s a true alignment issue or if the steering wheel just needs adjusting.
But, I’m honestly afraid to let the dealer touch my Jeep with such an involved process. Should I take it to a reputable independent shop instead? Or will Jeep really know what they’re doing and I’m overthinking this? Anyone else get an alignment recently at a Jeep dealer?
There is literally no way to "align" anything in a JL except using the drag link/tie rod. In saying that, if you take it to a real offroad shop, they will do that as opposed to charging you for a full "alignment"

Last edited:

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I perceive that my steering wheel is off a little (I'm a bit of a perfectionist), however the alignment is on-point as my tires are wearing perfect after 10K. I would take it to a local shop if I was concerned. I just got used to the steering wheel being a little off.

Gorpf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21-392, AEV-JL370
Occupation
Retired
Independent shop

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
There is literally no way to "align" anything in a JL except using the drag link. In saying that, if you take it to a real offroad shop, they will do that as opposed to charging you for a full "alignment"
^^^^^ This

Alignment on most vehicles these days is just a toe adjustment as camber and caster are fixed. TYPICALLY, these days if your camber or caster is off then something is bent (i.e. replace the bent part). Last time I had a vehicle aligned was when I had to replace a tie-rod end.

Sponsored

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
All angles are adjustable.......You will just need the correct parts to do it.

example: MOOG-K100056 upper ball joints allow for .5 degrees of caster or camber, depending how they are indexed, when installed. Adjustable length front upper or lower control arms will allow for caster changes.

If you not willing to pay for the correct parts to get the adjustments you would like......then all you need or can do is........... SET THE TOE AND LET IT GO!

Independent or dealer should be able to handle either.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
I don't trust the stealership or an independent shop. Did you change any of your steering components or just finish a trail ride? The drag link will straighten your steering wheel and your tie rod will adjust your toe in or out. If you can't do it or rather not, then get with a Jeep club near you in "USA" LOL. They'll help you out or will know a trustworthy shop.

Last edited:

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I don't trust the stealership or an independent shop. Did you change any of your steering components or just finish a trail ride? The tie rod will straighten your steering wheel and your drag link will adjust your toe in or out. If you can't do it or rather not, then get with a Jeep club near you in "USA" LOL. They'll help you out or will know a trustworthy shop.
Zeke...Not correct.
The tie rod will adjust toe.............draglink will adjust steering wheel (yaw) angle.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Do you have oversized tires? If so, that might answer the question. Not all dealerships will align Jeeps with oversized tires. Mine won’t.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
unless you have reason to believe that something was changed/damaged recently, i wouldn't bother taking it anywhere; there's nothing on these to "align" in stock trim except the Toe-In. dealer or independent would probably use the same alignment rack, and neither would likely be be able to give you the same readings 2 times in a row.

if you only want to straighten your steering wheel, you can do it yourself with a 15mm wrench in less time than you'll spend on the phone trying to make an appointment to have someone else do it for you.

OP
OP
Hearhear

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Do you have oversized tires? If so, that might answer the question. Not all dealerships will align Jeeps with oversized tires. Mine won’t.
Yes, I have the Extreme Recon package. But that is a stock package, not a backyard modification.

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
When I first got my Rubi. My steering wheel was off center. Spent most my time @ the 10-11 o’clock position to track straight. Went into the dealership for first free oil change & told them too check alignment, they said it was fine but adjusted the steering wheel. So much better!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase