flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
So...one troubling and unexpected result of skyrocketing gas prices has been the dramatic increase in gas theft by idiots drilling holes in our vulnerable plastic gas tanks. As soon as I heard about this, I took a close look at mine and noticed the many possible places that one could easily drill into the tank, even though it has the standard factory skid plate. Obviously, plastic tanks are much more difficult to repair than steel or aluminum, and usually have to be replaced. To make matters worse, I checked on replacement tank availability with my local Jeep dealership, and they advised that the lead time is currently 12 days and rapidly getting worse due to typical supply chain issues. Should this trend continue, gas tanks will soon be as scarce as microchips.

Unfortunately, the few gas tank skid plates that I have seen are designed only to protect the underside from impact, and offer limited to no protection for the sides/rear, leaving them extremely vulnerable. This is reasonable, as they were designed for off-road protection, NOT a$$hole gas thieves who drain the life out of beloved Jeeps. A car alarm doesn't necessarily help in this situation, as the thieves will just run away after they drill a hole and trigger the alarm; even though they won't get your gas, you'll still be left with a hole in your tank. While thieves could feasibly drill through a metal enclosure or gas tank, the additional time, effort, and risk would probably be sufficient to just make them move on to another unprotected vehicle.

Just wondering if anyone has seen a complete enclosure, metal tank, or anything else that might discourage gas theft. Look forward to learning/sharing more with the group so we can protect our investments in both vehicle and gas!
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Wow, where in Nevada is this an issue. I've heard of some catalytic converter thefts around here in California but no gas thefts.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It is a nation-wide trend, not specific to my locality. If you hadn't heard about it from my post, you would have eventually heard about it elsewhere. In fact, there was a segment about it on the news last week, where they stated that gas theft is rapidly overtaking cat theft, given the relative ease in drilling into gas tanks vs. cat removal.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of curiosity, why would you think a plastic tanks would be harder to repair than a metal one? I guess maybe we have to remove a skid to get to it? A patch is a patch if you go the route of not replacing. 🤔 If some AH did that to my Jeep, I would find the appropriate size screw, slap some RTV and plug it. I'm cheap that way! LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of curiosity, why would you think a plastic tanks would be harder to repair than a metal one? I guess maybe we have to remove a skid to get to it? A patch is a patch if you go the route of not replacing. 🤔
Most fillers, adhesives, and patches are highly susceptible to degradation when in contact with gasoline, and even JB Marine Weld isn't very reliable on our thin plastic tanks. Obviously, metal tanks are far better because they can just be welded up after all traces of gas have been removed.....not possible with plastic, unfortunately.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I don't think it makes a difference what the tank is made of its the cordless tools today that make it easy. Then there is plenty of clearance. Jeeps, trucks are an easy target you can get a pan and your body underneath without jacking it up.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
one of the somewhat local muffler & welding shops in the area are now not only offering protective armor for cats, but for fuel tanks as well: maybe your local welding shop could be of assistance

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Most fillers, adhesives, and patches are highly susceptible to degradation when in contact with gasoline, and even JB Marine Weld isn't very reliable on our thin plastic tanks. Obviously, metal tanks are far better because they can just be welded up after all traces of gas have been removed.....not possible with plastic, unfortunately.
If you had to drop the tank, have it clean good enough for someone to be willing to weld it you might as well get a new one. Its not like its an old antique where there is no other option.

Plastic tank, stainless bolt nut couple washers and a fuel rated o ring... you'll be good till you can get a tank.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Down here they don’t use a drill. They use a knife or gouge an ugly hole with a screwdriver.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you had to drop the tank, have it clean good enough for someone to be willing to weld it you might as well get a new one. Its not like its an old antique where there is no other option.

Plastic tank, stainless bolt nut couple washers and a fuel rated o ring... you'll be good till you can get a tank.
Agree, but the bolt and o-ring technique is a temporary fix, and obviously not recommended for road-tripping or even a weekend off-road jaunt. And now that we have to deal with worsening supply chain issues, no idea when you'd be able to find a replacement tank. A 12-day lead time is tolerable right now, but this is getting longer and longer with each passing week. In my opinion, it is better to prevent this in the first place if we can.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Down here they don’t use a drill. They use a knife or gouge an ugly hole with a screwdriver.
Yes, I've heard of that as well....and even tougher to repair than a clean drill bit hole.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
True, but how many people do you know that will weld a tank? I'm sure they wont do it while in place. They were only sheet metal. Maybe if they were thicker and made of stainless or Ti but todays bits will go through stainless with no problem. I don't see either of those happening anyway.
Some type of guard is probably best.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tank welding isn't as common today as it used to be, mostly because most tanks are now made of plastic. I actually had this done in my first CJ-5, and my dad did it himself for his CJ-3B...a much cheaper option than buying a new tank. Obviously, it needs to be removed and thoroughly cleaned out, but it's not a big deal for professional welders who do this often.

But again...I agree that prevention is a much better strategy, and is the whole point of this thread. Hope we can generate some discussion on how best to avoid gas theft in the first place.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Used to be? I can remember in auto shop in the early 70's it being absolutely no no. The teachers then were saying if you had no other choice do everything you can to clean it then hook the fill neck up to an exhaust of a running car. Do everything you can to get the oxygen and fumes out.
I don't ever remember it being popular.
Professional? Any yo yo with a harbor freight welder can plug the hole, its do they want to see the next day.
A stainless or Ti skid would probably slow things down... but wait till you see the price.
Sponsored