Sponsored

Stoves that fit well on tailgate tables

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Anyone know of a good stove that has a removable lid? I like my tailgate table but these stoves all seem to have lids that will block my table's built in light.
Jetboil Genesis 2 just seems kind of goofy for such a high price.
Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This may or may not be helpful information, but I was in that same state of mind after I first got my tailgate table over a year ago.

I already had a Blackstone 17” griddle and I was bummed that it wouldn’t fit on the Frontrunner table. I say “wouldn’t fit”; I could get all 4 feet of the griddle on there but it was tight and took some rigging to make me comfortable with leaving it on there with kids running around at camp. After that there was not room for much else. I looked for a couple days on something that had the functionality of the Blackstone in a smaller package and I couldn’t find anything. We absolutely love this little griddle. It’s simple and you can cook anything on it. Granted, it is a little big, but we are typically hauling a trailer behind the Jeep and I’m cooking for more than myself so that may not be everyone else’s situation. In my opinion you really can’t beat the functionality of a Blackstone.
So now I use a small camp table just for the Blackstone that packs away nicely. It also keeps the flame, spatter, and cooking odors away from the Jeep. I typically just use the tailgate table for food prep and a backpacking JetBoil for coffee.

You may look into a smaller JetBoil if you’re only cooking for 1 or 2.

These two comprise my cook system:

JetBoil for coffee/tea
https://www.rei.com/product/167685/...3bXQETTHISvfiRtwZSxoC50QQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If it’s just me or I need something quick, this thing does great for frying a couple of eggs (add a JetBoil pan) or just heating up water for instant camp food.

Blackstone 17” griddle

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-Adventure-Ready-17-Tabletop-Outdoor-Griddle/805843608

FrontRunner tailgate table.

3405992E-1572-4F5A-A3B9-955F65275B36.jpeg

A5FED51B-A72B-4D3D-9C32-4EB264CD53C0.jpeg

OP
OP
GRAK

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

So now I use a small camp table just for the Blackstone that packs away nicely. It also keeps the flame, spatter, and cooking odors away from the Jeep. I typically just use the tailgate table for food prep and a backpacking JetBoil for coffee.
This is excellent input. Agree a proper separate table would be the way to go now that I am looking at it in person & thinking about it more. And yep, main want was making coffee fast n easy - grabbing the Jetboil java thing right now, as a matter of fact - thanks Will👌

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Jetboil Genesis 2 just seems kind of goofy for such a high price.
Last fall my wife picked up a 2 burner Colman Fold and Go stove for $50 on clearance at Wal-Mart. It's a budget version of the JetBoil Genesis 2.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Just bought the jetboil genesis 2 burner, for my Rig and camping outing. If you look online these are mostly sold out. I got lucky and found locally. I have several jetboil products, this product is very compact so the space it takes up is very small verse other brands.

By the way, I also ordered the Luna Satellite so I can use propane to heat my coffee.

Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is excellent input. Agree a proper separate table would be the way to go now that I am looking at it in person & thinking about it more. And yep, main want was making coffee fast n easy - grabbing the Jetboil java thing right now, as a matter of fact - thanks Will👌
If you’re an REI member, use “member20” for 20% off one full price item until (I believe) March 28.

OP
OP
GRAK

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Ty sir. I don't know if true or not, but a friend just told me he refuses to shop at REI b/c "They fund environmental groups that have infiltrated local government to shut Jeepers out of the Backcountry" 🧐

Well, that's no good..

he's in Colorado btw

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88
I know this doesn't help you, but a tailgate table with built in stove is pretty next level. I want one of these. But the cook partner stove they use has a snap on lid, versus hinged so you that stove may work for you.
Expedition Essentials Exo Table
EXE_EXOTable_02.jpg
Nice table... but they have a pretty nice phone rail for the JL which is different than 67 designs in a good way! Ty for the link.

Last edited:

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ty sir. I don't know if true or not, but a friend just told me he refuses to shop at REI b/c "They fund environmental groups that have infiltrated local government to shut Jeepers out of the Backcountry" 🧐

Well, that's no good..

he's in Colorado btw
Fighting for land access for motorized vehicles is not going to get any easier. Y’all better hunker down out west.

We fought hard for Tellico OHV area in Tennessee/North Carolina a decade ago. Trout Unlimited filed suit against the US Forest Service for sediment that was getting in the streams during storm events. You can research all you want on that, but what it all boils down to is that the Forest Service bowed down to the pressure from Trout Unlimited and closed the OHV trail system Tellico in 2011. The Forest Service had a mitigation/maintenance plan to repair and prevent the issues and they failed to execute. Southern 4WD were the biggest advocates/supporters for a sustainable trail maintenance program and the community stepped up to provide all the labor. In the end, the Forest Service simply didn’t want to manage their own program and just shut it down to wash their hands of it.

Sorry to hijack your thread.
I appreciate the majority of what REI does for outdoor access. I also like that, as a member, I get a dividend check back in my pocket every year for my purchases there. Obviously, as a Jeeper, I wouldn’t appreciate anyone trying to limit motorized access to the great outdoors.

I just went online and recommended Tread Lightly! as a potential grantee for their Cooperative Action Fund. We’ll see if that happens but it’s worth a shot. Likely someone will have a mini heart attack as soon as they see a photo of a quad or side-by-side on their website:

BF85EA13-6CDA-41BD-A260-4D9A0CB57A07.jpeg

“Tread Lightly! supports responsible outdoor recreation through education & stewardship programs. Their efforts provide opportunities for the physically disabled and other under-reached communities to be able to access the beautiful outdoor spaces of our country that they may otherwise never see. Please consider adding this great non-profit to the grant initiative so that REI Co-Op members, like myself, may have an opportunity of supporting their efforts of preserving outdoor access to everyone through our co-op member purchases. Thank you for your consideration and have a wonderful day.”

Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I know this doesn't help you, but a tailgate table with built in stove is pretty next level. I want one of these. But the cook partner stove they use has a snap on lid, versus hinged so you that stove may work for you.
Expedition Essentials Exo Table
Jeep Wrangler JL Stoves that fit well on tailgate tables BF85EA13-6CDA-41BD-A260-4D9A0CB57A07
I haven't seen this one before. A Cook Partner has been on my wish list for a while. This is very cool!

OP
OP
GRAK

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I haven't seen this one before. A Cook Partner has been on my wish list for a while. This is very cool!
Nice table... but they have a pretty nice phone rail for the JL which is different than 67 designs in a good way! Ty for the link.
Yeah, everything they do is really nice quality and clever. They have a maxtrax mount I expect to buy to lug my maxtrax around better. Their dash mount has a lot of mounting places. I've seen their dash mounts on Taco's and 4runners and they're rock solid. Not a fan of 67designs, 1 interaction with the owner made me vow to never buy their products. From some people I know in the industry, he has a reputation and is not someone the few I know want to work with.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I have an inexpensive table and Coleman dual burner stove. Works great.
330ABAB0-E45D-4DA0-87B1-681C650DB5D0.jpeg
Sponsored