Last edited by a moderator:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So with the turbo, DI, BSG, and an added $1,000 you can pick up 1 MPG highway and 2 MPG combined? And that's on premium fuel, which is typically a half-dollar more per gallon? Sounds like a horrendous deal to me.

But, it will be fun to see if these engines end up being tuneable like Ford's EcoBoost family. That's the only thing they'll be good for...giving the tuning community something to play with on the road/track.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
23mpg city

in a Wrangler

that's pretty impressive.

OP
OP

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Not mention better real world performance for the 2.0l according to posted test drive reviews. 2.0l buyers aren’t just buying for better fuel economy, they are also buying better low end grunt and acceleration.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Not mention better real world performance for the 2.0l according to posted test drive reviews. 2.0l buyers aren’t just buying for better fuel economy, they are also buying better low end grunt and acceleration.
I tested a Cherokee with the same engine and found it extremely lacking. I'm not sure the BSG will add enough to make that engine feel powerful.

Sponsored

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
This is kind of what we were all expecting. It's not worth it to everyone, it's more if you prefer 4 vs 6 cylinder engines. Also I doubt your getting this on A/T tires or on Rubicon Trim with 33" Tires

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
You shouldn't expect better highway mileage from the turbo4. With BSG, and the smaller 2.0L, the 4 mpg jump city is impressive. That's the real kicker. In highway speeds, the benefits will pretty much cancel out.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Would have been nice if this engine hit earlier. I live in town and I would benefit from the Mild Hybrid setup more so than if i lived way out in the country.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Would have been nice if this engine hit earlier. I live in town and I would benefit from the Mild Hybrid setup more so than if i lived way out in the country.
Agreed, needed a new vehicle in the family desperately, couldnt wait for the turbo4 but man would it feel good to have.

Nothing to knock against the pentastar. Love it mated with the ZF8.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, needed a new vehicle in the family desperately, couldnt wait for the turbo4 but man would it feel good to have.

Nothing to knock against the pentastar. Love it mated with the ZF8.
oh yeah, I wanted to order one but some issues came up with the trade in vehicle so I purchased earlier than I had anticipated. I do like my V6, but I really wanted that turbo.

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
So with the turbo, DI, BSG, and an added $1,000 you can pick up 1 MPG highway and 2 MPG combined? And that's on premium fuel, which is typically a half-dollar more per gallon? Sounds like a horrendous deal to me.

But, it will be fun to see if these engines end up being tuneable like Ford's EcoBoost family. That's the only thing they'll be good for...giving the tuning community something to play with on the road/track.
The only thing it’ll be good for is outperforming the 3.6 straight out of the box. I didn’t order this motor for the mpg. But it’s a bonus.

There’s a reason Jeep is charging $1000 for this motor and it’s not because it’s lacking.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I tested a Cherokee with the same engine and found it extremely lacking. I'm not sure the BSG will add enough to make that engine feel powerful.
I too test drove a Cherokee with the 2.0 turbo and thought that it was very quick! Front wheel drive, so it had a lot of tourque steer from all the power!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I too test drove a Cherokee with the 2.0 turbo and thought that it was very quick! Front wheel drive, so it had a lot of tourque steer from all the power!
How quick or how slow it feels depends on your frame of reference. Go from a 2.4 Cherokee to the 2.0 Turbo and you're like "Yeah its fast!" @kre62 might currently drive something with a V8 for all we know. But 270 Hp in a small crossover is more than enough power to get the job done in my opinion.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
I’d think that the mpg won’t drop as much when adding larger tires too. The bsg I’d think would help with that.
Sponsored