Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Well, this thread is simply a place to keep track of all the mods (such as they will be!) on our 3 Wranglers. Yes, you read that correctly…3. All added within a 6-week window. Either I’m a glutton for punishment or I have some serious issues I need to address… or both...

So, without further ado, Wrangler #1 is a ’20 JLU (built Aug '19) I purchased for the wife. Description and options listed below:
  • Mojito! Clear-Coat
  • 2.0L Turbo/850RE Auto
  • 22S (Sport S) w/ all its assorted goodies
  • Technology Group
  • Convenience Group
  • Cold Weather Group
  • Mopar Rock Rails
  • 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Machined Granite Crystal Wheels
  • "American Flag" Hood Graphic by Mopar
  • Black Hard Top
  • Purchased used w/ 20k miles in Jan 2022
In reality, not a whole lot will be done to this one, as it’s my wife’s daily driver. We’ll add a few things, change a few things around, but nothing crazy.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... 03

Wrangler #2 (in order of us welcoming them home) is my daughter’s ’22 JL (built Jan '22). Even though she is married and not living with us, I’m still counting her JL as being “in the family” because I want to! And because I do much of the maintenance on her cars.
  • Snazzberry Pearl-Coat
  • 2.0L Turbo/850RE Auto
  • 22W (Willys) w/ all its assorted goodies
  • Technology Group
  • 8.4” Radio Group w/ Alpine Premium Sound
  • Gorilla Glass windshield
  • Black Hard Top
  • Purchased new by my daughter Feb 2022
Not sure what she has planned for this, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a mild lift kit and slightly bigger tires end up on this one.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1532

And behind door #3…I mean Wrangler #3, is my ’21 JLU (built Apr '21).
  • Hellayella Clear-Coat
  • 3.6L/6 Speed Manual
  • 23S (Sport S) w/ all its assorted goodies
  • Technology Group
  • LED Headlamp and Fog Lamp Group
  • Convenience Group
  • Cold Weather Group
  • Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
  • Black Hard Top
  • Cargo Tub Liner by Mopar
  • Plastic Door Sill Guards by Mopar
  • 17” x 7.5” Machined/Painted Black Wheels
  • Purchased used w/ 7k miles in Feb 2022
This came with a Rhino Rack added by the PO, which I believe is a Pioneer system Platform with quick-release legs. Still figuring out exactly what it is/how it works, etc. Not a lot of big things planned as this is my DD, but I do have some things I want to do to this like slightly bigger tires/leveling kit/maybe a mild lift. Some extra lighting. We will take all 3 of them wheeling together, so that will be fun to get pics of.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1550

Well, there we have it. Insanity must run in the family! It’s hereditary, that’s for sure!33
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Few things done to the Mojito!, the first being the removal of the flag decal on the hood. Wifey just didn't like the black flag on the hood, so I removed it. BUT, there was so much residue left after its removal that I could not get off, I had to take it to a shop that specializes in vehicle wraps and they removed all the adhesive and then buffed out the hood so that there was no trace that it was there.

Next was the addition of a console organizer by forum member @salex - I actually purchased 3 of them LINK, one for each of our JLs - along w/ a set of WeatherTech front mud flaps LINK, a set of Rugged Ridge rubber front and rear floor mats LINK and threshold moldings for the Mojito!

I installed a set of N-Fab side steps to make it easier for her to get in and out. LINK Really like them - well made and seem very sturdy. She loves them, so that's the most important part! Stored the factory rock rails in the rafters of the pole barn, just incase they need to be re-installed later.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1544

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1545

Also installed a set of LED bulbs into the stock halogen headlight housings. LINK. I must say I was pleasantly surprised - much brighter and whiter and I did not need to re-aim the headlights. I've done this before on other vehicles, with mixed results. On her JLU, I checked them after installing and they were aimed exactly as they were w/ the halogens. Even did a few drive-byes on our road and I noticed no glare from them. Not as good as the factory LEDs on mine, but a HUGE improvement over the stock halogen bulbs. Highly recommend them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Removed the 6 foot long (kidding...kinda) factory antenna from all 3 and replaced it with a 13" flexible black antenna LINK. Looks much better. Not a big thing, but looks better.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1558

Also added a few other misc black covers to the Hella, just for looks. I think having everything either yellow or black looks the best.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1556

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1557

Minor thing, but I added McGard wheel locks to the Mojito! and Hella. May or may not be helpful, all I know is at least I'm not the easiest one to steal from now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Added a couple of stickers to my Hella yesterday (WOW, what a mod!) :LOL: Just a couple of fun things.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1575

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1577

Also installed a pair of Rough Country steps to the daughters Snazzberry yesterday. Seem built well, although I thought the brackets were more complicated than they needed to be. I like the brackets of the N-Fab steps that I put on the Mojito! better. The daughter is happy with them though!

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1579

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, this first part isn't a mod, but i was able to get the first hand wash in for the Mojito! and Hellayella over the weekend. We had a 70f degree day today, and even though lots of rain was in the forecast for the next day, I still wanted to wash them both. Came out great.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1594

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1602

One minor mod I did to the Hella was to remove the front bumper-to-fender-filler-thingys. I think it looks much better without them.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1604

We certainly have a colorful pole barn! Out of site to the right of the Mojito! is a silver NA Miata and a red Torino Sport.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1595

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've been wanting some LED brake lights, but other than the factory housings there's not much out there that I like (other than the Oracle flush taillights, but I won't order them until they get the bugs [water intrusion and electrical gremlins] worked out of them), so I ordered THESE LED bulbs and HOLY CRAP are they bright! I got the idea from another member, and as soon as I find his post, I'll credit him for them. Great mod and WELL worth it.

Amazon's Confirmed Fit is wrong - these fit my '21 Hella just fine. They are physically large LED blubs, so much so that at first I wasn't sure they'd fit into the housings as they are larger than the incandescents they replace, but they fit just fine. And BEST OF ALL - NO ERROR MESSAGES! I plan on ordering another set for the for the wife's Mojito! No pics, but when I find the person I got them idea from, he posted a short video of them in operation.

-EDIT-

@Wolfy is the member that I got the idea for these from. His post on them is HERE.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Installed a set of WeatherTech HP floor liners in the Hella yesterday. I really like them; material is more rubbery than their normal liners, and seem to fit and form better too. Also go nicely up around the sides and fit good behind the pedals as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1608

Also had all 3 JLs in the barn yesterday, so I had to take a pic. At 18 degrees F, I didn't want to take them all out of the barn for a pic, so I took it inside!

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1611

My daughter brought her JL Willys over to get a new set of taillights and center brake light replaced. I installed a set of Axial Plateau LED Taillights on her JL, along with an Oracle LED Third Brake Light. Easy enough to do, and although I don't care for the taillights, I do like the Oracle third brake light.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1610

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1609

That last picture is of the headlights, brake lights, and reverse lights all on at the same time. She loves them and we had a nice time doing it together, so that's all that really matters!

OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I installed THIS antenna relocation bracket yesterday. With the Rhino Rack on my Hella I kept getting dropouts with the satellite antenna. Works fine now.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1616 (2)

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, at first glance I was like "wtf kind of roof rack is this?"
:LOL: HA! I didn't even realize that the top of the gazebo was in the picture! I gotta look at my backgrounds better!

OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Got my dash cam installed yesterday in the Hella. It's a 4k Rexing I got off Amazon a few years ago. Still works great, so no need to buy a new one. With the HD Electrical Group and the extra wiring under the dash, hooking up to a hot switched power source was a breeze.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1640

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A little more tinkering on the Hella yesterday. Removed the factory muffler and replaced it with a MBRP muffler bypass pipe. Almost zero drone, and a nice little rumble now. Glad I pulled the trigger on this versus a different alternative that would have cost hundreds more. I know exhaust sound is subjective, but I'm very happy with it, and took all of maybe 30 minutes to do.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1626
Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1627 (2)
Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1629
Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1632

--EDIT--

Well, the wife didn't like the sound of the bypass pipe, so I removed it and re-installed the factory muffler, at least for now. I will say that it seemed like the pipe did develop a drone between 2k and 3k rpm, right in the meat of the torque range. Whether it was always there and I was wishing it away :) or I got more sensitive to it, she was right, so off it came. We'll see if I can come up w/ a replacement for it later.

--EDIT 2--

Picked up a RedRock Axle-Back Exhaust off Marketplace for $100! Used, but it's THIS one. Can't beat that with a stick! It was used about 6 months, so it's in really good shape, but I want to put another coat of paint on it just so it looks better. Gotta wait a couple of days for it to warm up a bit, then I'll rattle-can it with a coat of Rustoleum High Temp black paint before installation.

Jeep Wrangler JL A tale of 3 (now 2) JL Wranglers... IMG_1660

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldBlue

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Added a set of @ORACLElights 7443-CK Switchback Bulbs to the front of the Hella yesterday. Sorry, no pics yet. I do like the bulbs, and the amber turn signal function is super bright, but I'm a bit surprised that the white running light is not brighter than it is. I may try wiring them as in THIS thread and see if they are brighter as a DRL hooked directly to a switched ignition lead. If they don't get brighter in the white color, not sure how much good they will do as a DRL. I was going to add them to my wife's Mojito!, but I feel they need to be brighter to be an effective DRL. Installed as the are right now, the white running light stays on all the time, even during the turn signal function, though it's not really an issue as the amber turn signal easily overpowers the output of the white running light.
Sponsored

Last edited: