First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I bought your racks and installed them last weekend. They were well packed. They are also heavy and appear to be strong and well made. I'm glad I made the purchase, but I have a couple thoughts to share:

I think you'll have happier customers if you provide some instructions and/or provide a link to an installation video. The assembly is not complicated, but it's still helpful to see a diagram of how the parts interact, because some of the parts can be reversed. (I did have a single piece of paper with a written explanation of the order of the "bolt-rubber-washer-arm".)

I went to YouTube and found three longer-than-necessary bla-bla-bla installation videos, one of which wasn't helpful at all, as they guy and his wife were basically complaining about fit and lack of instructions. That video included no closeups showing the relative orientation of the support arms and the main plates, or even whether the sliding piece of the adjusting brackets on the bottoms go over or under the flange on the arms. Again, in retrospect this is an extremely straightforward assembly and installation, and enough staring at the parts made the assembly obvious, but most of us are used to following instructions or a video, as opposed to staring at the pieces long enough to figure out how they have to go together.

I also found myself second-guessing my choices, in part because the design of your center mounting panel is on it's third evolution since the JL model first came out, so my panel looked different from what I was seeing online. My kit also came with a bunch of nylock nuts and extra washers that have no role in the assembly (because the bolts on the latest version thread directly into the support arms instead of requiring nuts on the back). Finally, the rubber spacers/bumpers on my top arms are nowhere near contacting the top or the window glass, which seems odd. In fact, as I write this I find myself wanting to go back to the jeep and take another look.

Anyway, for those of us who are too dumb and impatient to just intuitively slap stuff together, a simple diagram that also included a parts list and a "tools required" section would be great. (The tools required piece tell guys like me that the nut I guess at 10mm is really 3/8th. It's nice just to take the tools list to the box, grab what you need, match the parts to the list to make sure it's all there, and assemble to match the diagram.

p.s. Thanks for the Overland Journal -- I really enjoyed looking through it!
We appreciate the feedback! Instructions have been our main focus for sometime now as it is our biggest complaint and largest lacking piece to our product. We are currently working on growing our media and marketing team to fulfill this issue and resolve it with some well-informed media that will help all customers install our product.

We have changed the look of our plates a few times over the past few years to better suit the customers' needs and what they want to mount which usually involved us giving a new generation to the plate as it adapts to new product and is better suited to customers.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing our products in use on your build!
Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
We appreciate the feedback! Instructions have been our main focus for sometime now as it is our biggest complaint and largest lacking piece to our product. We are currently working on growing our media and marketing team to fulfill this issue and resolve it with some well-informed media that will help all customers install our product.

We have changed the look of our plates a few times over the past few years to better suit the customers' needs and what they want to mount which usually involved us giving a new generation to the plate as it adapts to new product and is better suited to customers.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing our products in use on your build!
Great!

It would take me ten minutes or so to put together a "tools required" list and, probably, another ten minutes to confirm a parts list, but somebody else would have to do the video. The last video I found online was great, though longer than necessary and focused on the old style that required nylock nuts. That guy would probably be willing to help you out in exchange for the latest version of your rack. Just guessing -- but that would save you a big ramp-up on the marketing team.

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Does anyone have a photo of Maxtrax mounted on the TrailRax Pak Rax? I'm currently looking for a solution for storing my Maxtrax (2 door JL). Thank you!

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Does anyone have a photo of Maxtrax mounted on the TrailRax Pak Rax? I'm currently looking for a solution for storing my Maxtrax (2 door JL). Thank you!
Here are some pics we pulled from Instagram on a 4 door model. we have not seen MaxTrax on a 2 door yet although they would fit best on a 2 door with no overhang.
Jeep Wrangler JL Meet The TrailRax Pak Rax System IMG_8977 2.PNG
Jeep Wrangler JL Meet The TrailRax Pak Rax System IMG_8976 2.PNG

We are also in the process of developing our own bracket to hold the maxtrax on our Pak Rax. Here is a sneak peak...
Jeep Wrangler JL Meet The TrailRax Pak Rax System image003

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Here are some pics we pulled from Instagram on a 4 door model. we have not seen MaxTrax on a 2 door yet although they would fit best on a 2 door with no overhang.
IMG_8977 2.PNG
IMG_8976 2.PNG

We are also in the process of developing our own bracket to hold the maxtrax on our Pak Rax. Here is a sneak peak...
image003.png
Appreciate your quick response! Looking forward to your own bracket to use with your Pak Rax system. I read through the thread and I'm also interested in one set (for one side) as opposed to a full set (both sides). I'll keep an eye out, thanks again!

P.S. Let me know if you need a 2 door model. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Appreciate your quick response! Looking forward to your own bracket to use with your Pak Rax system. I read through the thread and I'm also interested in one set (for one side) as opposed to a full set (both sides). I'll keep an eye out, thanks again!

P.S. Let me know if you need a 2 door model. ;)
We should be ready to release the single-side variants of the Pak Rax this Friday! We finally have inventory coming in to supply the single-side inventory.

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
We should be ready to release the single-side variants of the Pak Rax this Friday! We finally have inventory coming in to supply the single-side inventory.
Fantastic!

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Thank you! If I can't find a solution for inside the Jeep, this may be the ticket.
After real-world experience. You will want to do your best mounting your traction boards on the outside of your vehicle in an easy-to-access spot! Trust us LOL. the smell of mud and other crap can get annoying along with cleaning.

Sponsored

dtortie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
After real-world experience. You will want to do your best mounting your traction boards on the outside of your vehicle in an easy-to-access spot! Trust us LOL. the smell of mud and other crap can get annoying along with cleaning.
I currently have them in a waterproof traction board bag so luckily water, dirt, and mud is contained but I appreciate your input!

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
We have had a lot of questions asking when we were going to offer just one side vs. selling our full Pak Rax kits. For the longest time, we encouraged against it as our product was focused on better weight distribution on your rig. With the increasing demand for just one side, we are happy to offer just a single side of our Pak Rax for sale. This is great for those who only need one gas can or one accessory side vs. two sides or someone who has a roof rack and ladder on one side. For more details go to TrailRax.com and if you have any questions feel free to PM us here or email us at [email protected].

Be sure to show us your setups and tag us on Facebook and Instagram @TrailRax! join the #TrailRaxCrew

5AC7D944-62E3-4D18-9663-5DD6B97F25CD.jpeg

Last edited:

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I bought and installed them. There are no instructions, so I’m wondering if I’ve installed them incorrectly. The reason I wonder is the rubber bumper/spacer on the top is about an inch off the glass, so ot provides no support. I’d be grateful for any insight any of you may have.

133BD5BF-7347-4D93-9268-C6D337CFB9A9.jpeg

B0DF1537-EAD9-4271-B2FE-19B62653C478.jpeg

E9AAF408-ED40-41C1-9B6A-E13A35E4C4EA.jpeg

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I bought and installed them. There are no instructions, so I’m wondering if I’ve installed them incorrectly. The reason I wonder is the rubber bumper/spacer on the top is about an inch off the glass, so ot provides no support. I’d be grateful for any insight any of you may have.

Jeep Wrangler JL Meet The TrailRax Pak Rax System E9AAF408-ED40-41C1-9B6A-E13A35E4C4EA

Jeep Wrangler JL Meet The TrailRax Pak Rax System E9AAF408-ED40-41C1-9B6A-E13A35E4C4EA

Everything looks correct. Due to the modularity of our Product and the multitude of ways this JL Pak Rax can be installed on both a 2 and 4 door model, the top set of rubber bumpers will be a various distance away from the top but in some cases play a role in the top. In most cases, it does not and is there for rare occasions. the main ones you need to make sure are functioning are the bottom set of rubber.

Sorry to hear there were no instructions included in the box. We should have had some included. if you PM us your email we can get you a copy of the instructions. Everything looks correct from the pictures though! Thank you for sharing!

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
While I do not have a Trailrax or Rotopax system (yet) it does make me wonder why you shouldn't be able to mount the Maxtrax bracket to the Trailrax bracket and then mount the Rotopax mounts on top of both brackets. Then you could carry a single 4 gallon Rotopax with a single Maxtrax on top of it. It may require you to have a Maxtrax bracket on both sides for 8 gallons of fuel and two Maxtrax's.
Sponsored