Sponsored

Picking factory options based on Value rather than Worth resulted in a different build?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I've had it before, would only get it if it was priced reasonably or standard. My keys are always in my pocket and accessible. It'll always be a habit of mine. Not trying to pick on you, but with these bloated options, people always come up with crazy scenarios to justify their coin. I would have the keys ready before heading to the vehicle in a rainstorm.

We're fortunate to be living in good times, even in light of the past few years. But if the economy ever takes a serious downturn, there's a lot of people that are going to be in trouble. Their car payments, partly bloated with convenience features, will be of no help.

I completely agree with the sentiment to buy things that make you happy, even if it's objectively too much. IMO though, Americans have started to take that too far and it might bite our country in the ass at some point.
It must be standard on rubicons for 2022 as it isn’t listed as an option. Adding it to a sport S is $645, which may or may not be worth it to some. I’m glad they made it standard as it should be on any push button start and remote start capable vehicle in my opinion.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I think that's how we all felt until we actually owned a vehicle with proximity locks. Especially since you don't need the key out of your pocket, backpack, or purse to drive the vehicle. My ram has proximity locks, jeep doesn't. Every time you've got an arm load of stuff, the key will be in the opposite pocket from your free hand. Ever have to dig through the wife's purse looking for the key in a rainstorm? Hard pass. It's a convenience feature and absolutely is not a necessity, but you'd be surprised how convenient something so simple really is.
The Proximity and LEDs are among my top favorite options.

The Proximity and 8.4" Alpine is standard on the Rubicon for 2022. I think for the Sahara also?

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Value is different for everyone. I agree with your post, but a lot of people see things differently.

For a direct example taken from this forum, when a proximity entry discussion starts, you'll have people write "I use proximity entry every day, of course it's worth the $$$." In my head, I'd think to myself how I use the unlock button every day on my keyfob and it's free. So why would I pay for something just to not press a button? It's all about perspective and we all share a different one.
I'm with you man. I daily drive an old Camry with no prox entry. I ordered prox entry on my 2021 JLUR because of the abundance of recommendations on this forum. I never use the feature.

Every vehicle I've owned prior to the JL did not have the feature. At this point I'm 'programmed' to pull my fob out to unlock the door and it's no big deal at all to me. Not sure why it's such a savior to the folks that seem to not be able to live without it.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I think that's how we all felt until we actually owned a vehicle with proximity locks. Especially since you don't need the key out of your pocket, backpack, or purse to drive the vehicle. My ram has proximity locks, jeep doesn't. Every time you've got an arm load of stuff, the key will be in the opposite pocket from your free hand. Ever have to dig through the wife's purse looking for the key in a rainstorm? Hard pass. It's a convenience feature and absolutely is not a necessity, but you'd be surprised how convenient something so simple really is.
I own 2 vehicles, 1 with prox (JL) and 1 without (camry). I unlock both vehicles with their key fobs.

All of the situations I heard I'd encounter that would make me feel prox entry is a savior never materialized for me. I could've saved that $500.

I'm use to pulling out a fob to unlock a door and just doesn't seem like a big deal.

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Every vehicle I've owned prior to the JL did not have the feature. At this point I'm 'programmed' to pull my fob out to unlock the door and it's no big deal at all to me. Not sure why it's such a savior to the folks that seem to not be able to live without it.
It’s the same with all these “safety” pkgs. it’s as if people never looked behind them to back up before or hit the stalk to cancel high beams when a vehicle approached. People want machines to do everything for them.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I own 2 vehicles, 1 with prox (JL) and 1 without (camry). I unlock both vehicles with their key fobs.

All of the situations I heard I'd encounter that would make me feel prox entry is a savior never materialized for me. I could've saved that $500.

I'm use to pulling out a fob to unlock a door and just doesn't seem like a big deal.
It definitely isn't a feature I couldn't live without, and maybe it's because my 2017 Ram was the 1st push button start vehicle I've owned so they go hand in hand in my brain. If you don't use it then obviously it's a waste of money for you. It still seems illogical to me to have to pull the key out of my pocket to open the vehicle but not to start and drive it? Why bother, especially if you have the proximity locks? If the door is going to unlock as soon as you grab the handle, why are you playing pocket pool on the way to the vehicle? With remote start it makes even more sense. Start the vehicle from the house when I grab wallet/knife/keys/phone to head out, place all items in pockets, walk up to vehicle that is still secure in the driveway, get in. If you just like extra steps sure you can reach in your pocket for fun.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a very relevant discussion, OP!

In marketing circles, instead of WORTH vs VALUE, they call it WANTS vs NEEDS. Some professionals call them NICE TO HAVES vs MUST HAVES.

The idea being that one person’s wants can be another person’s needs, and vice-versa. For instance, Safety Group might seem like a want to someone who never used it; like a must-have to someone who’s skin was saved by the technology in the past. Same thing for Cold Weather Group if you live in PA or in CA, or soft top vs hardtop if you park somewhere safe vs an area where theft is frequent.

Case in point: my Sahara came with cloth seats; I got tired of pulling hair and vacuuming dirt that stuck all over the seats. I had the fabric replaced with Katzkin leather. I can now clean the interior in 3 minutes. That’s well worth it to me.

We, collectively, don’t do enough honest assessments like this in our daily purchases and end up spending hundreds of dollars on mobile devices, TV services, cell services, gym memberships, etc., that go wasted every month.

Of course those companies are more than happy to take our money. It is for this reason that they work so hard to convince us that we need all this crap.

It is each individual’s responsibility to determine his/her honest wants and needs.

Last edited:

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Okay, so this is just "real wants, bare bones edition for me" post then.... no prob.
2 Door Base Sport, Auto, XR, Soft Top, Alpine, Cold Weather, Hot Color
That proximity thing sounds interesting but I'm not sure how I'm going to open the door, get inside the Jeep, or even drive it if my hands were so busted up that I couldn't push a button - lol
Just kidding guys, not this many folks can love that thing if they didn't have reason so... what the heck... must be good too.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
It still seems illogical to me to have to pull the key out of my pocket to open the vehicle but not to start and drive it?
I definitely agree with you there. It doesn’t make sense for a vehicle to be push button start and not have proximity standard. It’s Jeep gouging again, but I can’t say I blame them either.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I'm with you man. I daily drive an old Camry with no prox entry. I ordered prox entry on my 2021 JLUR because of the abundance of recommendations on this forum. I never use the feature.

I don't understand why people are too lazy to pull the key out and use the keyhole to unlock their cars, what a waste of money in those fobs which are just another thing to worry over and fail. It's a crutch.

OldMarine

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Great job thinking about your options and getting what you want, enjoy your Jeep.

I cannot wrap my head around proximity entry so I didn’t order it. I’m conditioned to use the key fob coming from an older Ram and why pay for proximity locks when I’m going to be footless or tube doors for 6 months a year.

I will say that it’s on my wife’s SUV and it’s a cool feature…I almost always walk up with the key fob out and then the doors unlock, makes me chuckle

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
We appreciate some options after trying them. In a million years I would not order or want a heated steering wheel. It came bundled with the heated seats. Little did I know? I LOVE the heated steering wheel! I had no idea I would like it so much. It is a must have option for me from now on.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I don't understand why people are too lazy to pull the key out and use the keyhole to unlock their cars, what a waste of money in those fobs which are just another thing to worry over and fail. It's a crutch.
Why are people too lazy to roll down manual windows? Cruise control, just drive you lazy bastards. Electronic ignition, why are you too lazy to set the gap on your points? Fuel injection, you know you can adjust your carburetor at high elevations if you aren’t too lazy? Every JL is computer controlled at this point, fear of electronics is pointless. One failed module and you’re going nowhere. Not to mention mechanical items fail as well. When the ignition cylinder failed on my old wagoneer I was able to jump the start solenoid and drive it, which likely isn’t even possible on a JL even if you get the base model with a key. Technology is unavoidable, may as well embrace it and enjoy the conveniences that come along with it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Proximity and LEDs are among my top favorite options.

The Proximity and 8.4" Alpine is standard on the Rubicon for 2022. I think for the Sahara also?
Correct. Proximity door locks, 8.4” screen and Alpine sound are all standard on Rubicon and Sahara for 2022.
Sponsored