Sponsored

Picking factory options based on Value rather than Worth resulted in a different build?

pepeborja

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep TJ, 2012 Acura MDX, 2017 BMW i3
I joined this forum to help me understand the factory options available to put together a build sheet. During all my research I found multiple threads that look at options by asking if “option X is worth the $”. I too rapidly fell into that rabbit hole and created my own Excel sheet listing the options and their cost, which was then followed by hours agonizing over the choices' cost while striking a balance on the monthly payment.

Yesterday I had an epiphany when I got my first $60 bill from my new internet provider (a month ago we cut the cord and removed a $250 monthly bill). The bill's arrival made me realize that I do not miss cable TV and that I am perfectly OK with my internet connection for my TVs using Netflix , Amazon Prime, my YouTube subscriptions, and my HD Homerun device to stream the signal from my HD antenna.

The event made me realize that what I thought was WORTH having all these yeats (e.g., $190s a month worth of TV services and associated receivers) had actually little VALUE to me and the ENJOYMENT I got out of it. So I went about changing my Excel sheet to look only at the VALUE of each option and to ignore the COST. To ensure an even application of VALUE I defined it as the ENJOYMENT I stand to get from the factory option.

After redoing the Excel sheet I am very surprised by the results. Now, I have been all set with the Rubicon and that did not change one bit as for me it’s either a Rubicon or nothing, but the options on the other hand changed substantially.
  • Deleted leather package
  • Added colored fenders
  • Deleted XR package
  • Picked the 3.6L etorque over the 2.0T
  • Deleted black Freedom top
  • Added premium top
  • Deleted the Safety Group
  • Kept the Cold weather group as it is for the wife and it STAYS!!! (as if it were a choice anyway). If this was only for me it would be deleted.
  • The LED, ACC, and Tow Group were already deleted. Looking at them for VALUE did not change the results.
  • Kept the half doors as they made the cut with flying colors
  • Kept the Rock Trac full time 4WD
So, if you find yourself struggling with choices trying to figure out if they are WORTH adding, I recommend changing the evaluation process to focus only on the VALUE they represents for the ENJOYMENT the option and the Jeep will provide for you. It ceratinly made a big difference for me. I hope this can be of help to those folks that are struggling with making choices.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I guess it depends on your definition of enjoyment. I enjoy the leather seats both every time I drive the jeep and every time I clean the jeep and they wipe off and look good as new after 45k miles. I enjoy the ACC on every road trip (several over 1k miles every year). Not sure how painted fenders would add any enjoyment, and the several times we've scraped them on trails the more expensive painted fenders would have detracted from the enjoyment. I agree whole heartedly that assuming 1 can afford it they will get far more out of a build by going for the options they enjoy vs going for the most budget friendly. Sure some of the factory options can be added cheaper via the aftermarket, some pretty easily, but if I want it, can afford it, don't have to hassle with it, and it shows up factory installed and warrantied, that convenience holds value in and of itself. If it's a time consuming mod like aux switches, my time saved holds value as well. Of all the factory options installed on our jeep the tailgate reinforcement is probably the only box I wouldn't check again.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I know folks today find it hard to believe but we used to actually use 4x4’s that had crank windows, manual hubs, am radios, manual transmissions and rubber floor mats. We actually went places to hunt, fish, and explore in these things and Enjoyed ourselves😊. ‘Course believe it or not we also managed to survive with No cell phones, no computers and only 3 channels on TV, 10 cents cups of coffee and 15 cent burgers. Gosh, I sure miss painting on the walls of my old cave….😏

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
I went through the same process when I was sorting through the options. I ended up with a bare bones Rubicon which I love and is great. However, I DO REGRET not getting the tow package. "I'm never gonno tow sh!t..." Towing no, but a trailer basket for camping stuff, YES! Ended up putting a hitch on myself (still no wiring harness or connections, either) BUT: Aux switches would have been great from the factory, really wish I had these. Plus, the bigger alternator and battery...

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

It's a good exercise, and as others have already pointed out, is very personal and subjective.

In my case, I'd been driving an '07 one-step-above-work-truck GMC Sierra when I started my order process. It'd been paid off for *years*, so I got all the options that I *wanted*, which resulted in Sahara with a $53.6K sticker price. "Rubicon money" as others noted, but I already knew I didn't want/need a Rubicon.

And man, I love all of these features that you removed from your list, lol.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Value and worth for me was/is a Rubicon, 3.6,automatic and color matched hardtop. Nicely under $40K, No regrets and I've had zero issues with the off-road beast. BTW, my black fenders are scratched and gouged to shit, as they are supposed to be, haha.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
The forums can definitely trick your mind into thinking you must have options that you really could do without. Glad you figured out what is important to you. If you want a JL and you’re getting a JL you’ll more than likely be happy regardless.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Value is different for everyone. I agree with your post, but a lot of people see things differently.

For a direct example taken from this forum, when a proximity entry discussion starts, you'll have people write "I use proximity entry every day, of course it's worth the $$$." In my head, I'd think to myself how I use the unlock button every day on my keyfob and it's free. So why would I pay for something just to not press a button? It's all about perspective and we all share a different one.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Value is different for everyone. I agree with your post, but a lot of people see things differently.

For a direct example taken from this forum, when a proximity entry discussion starts, you'll have people write "I use proximity entry every day, of course it's worth the $$$." In my head, I'd think to myself how I use the unlock button every day on my keyfob and it's free. So why would I pay for something just to not press a button? It's all about perspective and we all share a different one.
I think that's how we all felt until we actually owned a vehicle with proximity locks. Especially since you don't need the key out of your pocket, backpack, or purse to drive the vehicle. My ram has proximity locks, jeep doesn't. Every time you've got an arm load of stuff, the key will be in the opposite pocket from your free hand. Ever have to dig through the wife's purse looking for the key in a rainstorm? Hard pass. It's a convenience feature and absolutely is not a necessity, but you'd be surprised how convenient something so simple really is.

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
It’s obviously all subjective. As far as enjoyment goes, I enjoy being able to see at night & enjoy being able to hook the bike rack up or the cargo carrier upon to the tow hitch whenever I want/need to.

I can agree with the leather as I will immediately put Bartact covers on the seats, but leather is good for resale.

We went with a Sahara Altitude with the following options:
Dual tops
LED lighting pkg
Cold weather pkg
Tow pkg with heavy duty electrical

Would’ve also selected 8.4” with Alpine but it’s now standard & the proximity entry is also now standard. So our order ended up being about $2k less than it would’ve been, and when you’re paying under invoice anyway, it’s just an added bonus.

What often happens though is people skimp on factory options but then spend more on aftermarket parts to replace those standard features.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Buy what you want, and the purpose you need it to fulfill. If it's too expensive, kick the loan out another 12 months.

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

The variation in all of the responses is a good case-in-point for the OP.
Regardless of whether something is worth the cost in the market, the only thing that matters is the value of that thing to the individual customer. And different customers value entirely different things.

We get these debates about whether this-or-that configuration is "better" but, in reality, it is all subjective. There is no objective standard for what individual people want from their Jeep experience.

Agr1144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 10th Anniversary
I don’t know. If you ever drive at night, you might have found value with the LEDs. This is my first vehicle with LEDs and I think they extremely better than the stock halogens. I do get many of the other decisions though.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I think that's how we all felt until we actually owned a vehicle with proximity locks. Especially since you don't need the key out of your pocket, backpack, or purse to drive the vehicle. My ram has proximity locks, jeep doesn't. Every time you've got an arm load of stuff, the key will be in the opposite pocket from your free hand. Ever have to dig through the wife's purse looking for the key in a rainstorm? Hard pass. It's a convenience feature and absolutely is not a necessity, but you'd be surprised how convenient something so simple really is.
I've had it before, would only get it if it was priced reasonably or standard. My keys are always in my pocket and accessible. It'll always be a habit of mine. Not trying to pick on you, but with these bloated options, people always come up with crazy scenarios to justify their coin. I would have the keys ready before heading to the vehicle in a rainstorm.

We're fortunate to be living in good times, even in light of the past few years. But if the economy ever takes a serious downturn, there's a lot of people that are going to be in trouble. Their car payments, partly bloated with convenience features, will be of no help.

I completely agree with the sentiment to buy things that make you happy, even if it's objectively too much. IMO though, Americans have started to take that too far and it might bite our country in the ass at some point.
Sponsored