First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
I have seen various threads on here about how the new 4.88 axle option would be with stock tires. I received my Jeep a few days ago and wanted to give my input from driving with them. I know there are people on this forum that could fabricate new gears from a clothes pin and a beer can, so this is more for those of us without tons of knowledge or experience with various gears/tires. I also did not drive on the standard 4.10s to give a comparison, but here goes.

My driving needs are drastically different than many people, but for people in my situation, I hope this helps. For context, the main road into town is 55 and I drive around 60 on it. Most of the roads around me are 35-45 max and honestly if you go any faster you will go careening down a mountain slope. That being said, here are my observations so far:

I use 6th gear a lot. I can comfortably be in 6th and accelerate up hills as long as I'm going around 55+. Driving back home from Atlanta and going about 65, I was at ~2200 RPM and was getting 20+ MPG. I really love how much power it seems to have around here in the hills. Reading some various posts about the manual trans and the 3.6, I started to wonder if the engine would feel anemic. It does not.

If your driving habits would be more interstate or 75mph or such, I wouldn't recommend them on stock tires. I have no plans to increase the tire size, personally. However, if like myself, you live in an area where almost all the roads are inclined and normal speeds are lower, this may be an option you might want to look into.
Sponsored

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88
This is good info.
I've got 4.10 on order but am thinking about asking them to change it and add 4.88.... I think I'll stay on stock tires because it won't fit in the garage if I lift it with a roof tent, and the crawl ratio sounds nice.
I'm worried if I ask them to make a change I'll lose my spot in whatever version of a line that I'm in though.

OP
OP
Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
This is good info.
I've got 4.10 on order but am thinking about asking them to change it and add 4.88.... I think I'll stay on stock tires because it won't fit in the garage if I lift it with a roof tent, and the crawl ratio sounds nice.
I'm worried if I ask them to make a change I'll lose my spot in whatever version of a line that I'm in though.
That crawl ratio is amazing. My 89yr old grandmother walks faster.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I have seen various threads on here about how the new 4.88 axle option would be with stock tires. I received my Jeep a few days ago and wanted to give my input from driving with them. I know there are people on this forum that could fabricate new gears from a clothes pin and a beer can, so this is more for those of us without tons of knowledge or experience with various gears/tires. I also did not drive on the standard 4.10s to give a comparison, but here goes.
Apologies for asking but could you provide some details on your setup?

Did you get the Xtreme Recon package (w/ the 35s) and with Manual Transmission?

EDIT: I just looked at order guide. 4.88s are an option with manuals and 33s now?

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
Apologies for asking but could you provide some details on your setup?

Did you get the Xtreme Recon package (w/ the 35s) and with Manual Transmission?
I don't think you can order the XR with a manual yet, but I have a 2dr manual on 33s.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I don't think you can order the XR with a manual yet, but I have a 2dr manual on 33s.
Thanks for the background!

Wow.... Jeep did it! That is the one option I have been wishing and suggesting Jeep made available on their manuals. My 2021 MT JLR had no such option and 4.56s preferably 4.88s always seemed like the better gear ratio for a manual... This is really cool! 4.10s are fine but 4.88s... a great ratio for MTs. Guess I have to buy a 2022 now...

Thank you for sharing your experience with the 4.88s!

The final drive ratio on these 4.88 manuals now beats the Bronco's!

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88
They seem to have released this option around October or November. I would have ordered an XR manual if it was available but I've now asked my dealer if it's not too late to add the 4.88s. When I ordered I didn't choose it for some reason. I think I hadn't heard anything like this post about drivability on 33s. I asked a question about rpms and shift points somewhere but it got buried quickly.

I don't find myself going 70+mph often and I'm used to my current car (focus st) shifting into 6th at about 45mph. The 4.88s would bring me closer to that, give me more gears for the steep hills and passes, and some sweet crawling speeds.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

One more question, when driving around town, does it feel low enough to start from a stop in 2nd gear or are you using 1st to take off?

OP
OP
Blazing Saddles

Blazing Saddles

First Name
Not Sure
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jeep
Occupation
Staring at this forum
One more question, when driving around town, does it feel low enough to start from a stop in 2nd gear or are you using 1st to take off?
I only use 1st when going up an incline. Normally I run 2>3>4>6. Fifth is good for cruising some of the backroads around here or when the incline is too much for 6th to accelerate. The main highways are of a low enough grade that I primarily use 6th.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

EDIT: I just looked at order guide. 4.88s are an option with manuals and 33s now?
Yep, for 2022 models, manual and 3.6L.

I'd like to know too if 2nd gear is better for pulling from a stop.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Thanks! This'll be interesting for me when mine comes in and I'll have to update the thread. I live at 5,800 Feet Elevation and all my local trails just go up from there. I think my limitation will be the thin air going into the V6.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Yep, for 2022 models, manual and 3.6L.

I'd like to know too if 2nd gear is better for pulling from a stop.
I have 4.88's with a manual on 315/70-17's and love it.

I still start in first, especially if there is the slightest incline. If I'm already rolling a bit or pointed down hill, then I start in 2nd. Otherwise it's a bit boggy. I would not consider first a granny gear with my setup. Maybe if I had gone with 5.13's or you are sticking with 33's?

That said, I feel 4.88's has been the sweet spot for me. If it were an option from the factory, it's one of the top options I'd choose with the manual.

As to highway speeds, it's doing great. The RPM's are higher but the engine pulls so much stronger. If you want to save fuel, then keep it below 65-70. IMHO

luthert

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Dodge Dakota

My driving needs are drastically different than many people, but for people in my situation, I hope this helps. For context, the main road into town is 55 and I drive around 60 on it. Most of the roads around me are 35-45 max and honestly if you go any faster you will go careening down a mountain slope. That being said, here are my observations so far:

I use 6th gear a lot. I can comfortably be in 6th and accelerate up hills as long as I'm going around 55+. Driving back home from Atlanta and going about 65, I was at ~2200 RPM and was getting 20+ MPG. I really love how much power it seems to have around here in the hills. Reading some various posts about the manual trans and the 3.6, I started to wonder if the engine would feel anemic. It does not.

If your driving habits would be more interstate or 75mph or such, I wouldn't recommend them on stock tires. I have no plans to increase the tire size, personally. However, if like myself, you live in an area where almost all the roads are inclined and normal speeds are lower, this may be an option you might want to look into.
I’m excited now. I ordered mine with 4.88s and polled a FB forum regarding this… Having somebody with experience with them is even better. I’ve got a 6 hour drive once the Jeep gets delivered and I’m hoping it’s not a super annoying drive. I may go up to 35s soon with this information as our Jeep is going to mainly be for traveling!

Erock482

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport, Regeared and Locked to 4.10
Do you track fuel economy each tank or just check the dash readout? How's fuel economy on day to day drive around town with highway mixed in? I live in an area with lower speeds and some good grades as well, so the 4.88's are interesting
Sponsored