WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
2022 Jeep Wrangler Failed On Every CR Test

What - another BS CR rating for 2022? Blasphemy!

“So, what’s the draw? Why do people keep buying Wranglers? What is so special about Jeep Wranglers?”

Ours leaked, had: corrosion problems, vague steering, drips when you get in, uneven defrost, dissimilar batteries, a bunch of recalls and tsbs, plus spent a bunch of time at the dealer and paint shops. But we still love ours to bits. Hmm?

Must be a Jeep thing.

“The Jeep Wrangler is a strange, perplexing, and marvelous SUV that occupies a badass and unrelenting segment of the automotive world – and we wouldn’t change a thing.”

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/2022-jeep-wrangler-failed-every-consumer-reports-test-only-1-matters/
The only thing on this list that bugs me is the batteries but I can live with it. I love my Wrangler.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
It's amusing that we have such low expectations.
Yet here we are high-fiving over 13 months of trouble free driving. Talk about a brand setting the bar low.
My wife's 2019 Jeep Cherokee needed a new engine last year with about 24,000 miles on it so I know problems do exist. Glad it was under warranty and it runs great now.

A coworker's BMW has the turbo going out and the cost to fix that is crazy expensive. That's one reason why I'm turbo shy.

Issues can happen with any vehicle. Another coworker has a suburban and that is in the shop as I type for another problem. This time for the brakes not stopping the vehicle at slow speed.

But my Jeep Liberty went 237,000 miles before I sold it. Went through two water pumps but no other breakdowns at all.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
CR vehicle reviews are a joke. Safe to ignore

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
CR vehicle reviews are a joke. Safe to ignore
Depends on what you want. If you want the most off-road capable vehicle that you can also drive on the road, that's the Wrangler.

If you want a reliable vehicle that will have few problems on the road, Wrangler isn't your vehicle.

Jeep gets away with bad QC though. The fact that there's a thread about melted wiring harnesses for diesels and it's a known issue that the fuses aren't set and there's never been a fix to the death wobble--and a bunch of other recurrent issues--is a testament to a brand not known for top notch QC. Add in service complaints and "it's a Jeep thing" is a bad joke that we all put up with because they are unique to drive.

Sponsored

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
Ok , we tested toaster ovens yesterday, let’s test those wrangler thingys today !

AlanD

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
OK consumer Reports is great. If you are looking for the Best stove, refrigerator, or washer, go to CR thats what they are all about "APPLIANCES" If you are into Prius/Versa/Civic/Corolla go to CR as for the most part they are appliances. If you are after most SUV/CUV go to CR they are for the most part Appliances. If you are after a JEEP/bronco/FJ etc don't even bother opening the cover, as you know they will bitch about the ride, poor mileage, visability. Same with Muscle cars. If you are looking at any vehicle with a heart and soul just don't bother with Consumer Reports...

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
With the abuse most people do with their wranglers it has a 5 star in my CR review.
It is the most capable vehicle made.
At the same time it is fun to drive. ( Especially with the top off.)
It should be rated at its resale value.
I know my opinions might be a little on the biased side.

Like MOST Wrangler owners.
I do not just like my jeep, I LOVE IT!

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
If you look at cars like you look at appliances and you treat cars as such, Consumer Reports is the magazine for you.

They review cars like they do appliances.

If you have passion about your transportation, Consumer Reports is a waste of time.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Funny, I study consumer behavior for a living and "if Jeeps are so bad, why do people keep buying them" is how I start every pitch.

For a practical family like ours, the Wrangler is an awful vehicle on paper. When I was car shopping, of all the cars I looked at, the Wrangler was the least comfortable, the least practical, had the least amount of 'tech', and had the lowest predicted reliability. So, to compensate, I added the $900 tow package –– you know, to make it practical –– and bought it.

Frankly, it's been a pain in the ass, and the second the extended warranty expires it's going away. It sucks in the snow, it's exhausting to drive on the highway, and it struggles off road where my G-Wagen and Pathfinder thrived. If I could go back in time, would I buy it again? Absolutely, without question.

Why? Because the Wrangler is an emotional purchase. The target demo for Wrangler buyers is middle-aged suburban men 40+. They're not buying a car. They're buying possibility. They're buying the feeling of the option of going off road with the top off even though they never will.

People who buy Honda Pilots and Toyota Highlanders are looking for an appliance that gets you from point A to B. That's why those manufacturers sell features rather than mountain vistas. I didn't know half

My favorite things are that it's an ugly square. That you have to wrestle a lever to coax it into 4WD. That it drives like a dump truck. That you sit straight up with your face against the windshield. That you have to give thought to your path across a sand dune. That my wife hates driving it.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Funny, I study consumer behavior for a living and "if Jeeps are so bad, why do people keep buying them" is how I start every pitch.

For a practical family like ours, the Wrangler is an awful vehicle on paper. When I was car shopping, of all the cars I looked at, the Wrangler was the least comfortable, the least practical, had the least amount of 'tech', and had the lowest predicted reliability. So, to compensate, I added the $900 tow package –– you know, to make it practical –– and bought it.

Frankly, it's been a pain in the ass, and the second the extended warranty expires it's going away. It sucks in the snow, it's exhausting to drive on the highway, and it struggles off road where my G-Wagen and Pathfinder thrived. If I could go back in time, would I buy it again? Absolutely, without question.

Why? Because the Wrangler is an emotional purchase. The target demo for Wrangler buyers is middle-aged suburban men 40+. They're not buying a car. They're buying possibility. They're buying the feeling of the option of going off road with the top off even though they never will.

People who buy Honda Pilots and Toyota Highlanders are looking for an appliance that gets you from point A to B. That's why those manufacturers sell features rather than mountain vistas. I didn't know half

My favorite things are that it's an ugly square. That you have to wrestle a lever to coax it into 4WD. That it drives like a dump truck. That you sit straight up with your face against the windshield. That you have to give thought to your path across a sand dune. That my wife hates driving it.
I had a conversation with the head of the Wrangler division about 10 years ago.

The Wrangler actually has no target demographic. It is one of the few vehicles that appeals to young and old, rich and poor, men and women, etc. You find people from all walks of life buying Wranglers. It's one of the only vehicles on the market that can make that claim.

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
If it had a Toyota badge on it they would fawn all over it. I quit relying on CR for useful info in the 1980s

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
It's hard for me to even understand parts of these articles and reviews.

• I don't think the Wrangler rides poorly
  • I don't think it drives poorly
  • I don't think it is small
  • I'm not planning on getting plowed in to
  • It offers absurd utility for a SUV
  • It has more than enough power for what it is
  • I'm not overly concerned about wipers, lights, defrosters
  • The heat is 100% the best on the market, so I love it in the winter

Makes me think people buy Wranglers as a novelty item then wonder why it doesn't drive like a similarly priced standard old SUV. Clearly I'm not the person they think they are writing to, and I'm ok with that.

OK I'm done :)

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
It's hard for me to even understand parts of these articles and reviews.

• I don't think the Wrangler rides poorly
  • I don't think it drives poorly
  • I don't think it is small
  • I'm not planning on getting plowed in to
  • It offers absurd utility for a SUV
  • It has more than enough power for what it is
  • I'm not overly concerned about wipers, lights, defrosters
  • The heat is 100% the best on the market, so I love it in the winter

Makes me think people buy Wranglers as a novelty item then wonder why it doesn't drive like a similarly priced standard old SUV. Clearly I'm not the person they think they are writing to, and I'm ok with that.

OK I'm done :)
For real. The ride is so exaggerated it's not even funny. It makes me wonder how anybody drove any truck or pick up from 20 years ago. 4 doors are clearly larger than the average crossover that dominates the roads. Power is more than enough and the base engines are proportioned just right. It's one of the best vehicles available in terms of visibility- it's very easy to see out of a Wrangler. Not to mention Jeeps are insanely customizable.

The "shitty" ride is the same ride that eats potholes up like nothing which is great for city driving. Flat tires in Jeeps are very rare. They're very easy to parallel park, both 2 + 4 doors, another pro for city driving. They're conventionally great in any weather condition- any form of snow until it gets way too deep, while being a convertible in the summer. They're still easy to work on relative to modern cars and are one of the few vehicles that are genuinely unique on the road.

The problem again and again is people keep comparing Jeeps to the average car, when a Jeep is its own thing. Those that get it, get it.
Sponsored