Odour

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL, Mustang GT, Street Triple 675R
I’ve noticed a gas/exhaust odour from the heating system when not on recirculating mode.
Anyone else experienced this?

also, why does the recirculating mode turn off on its own? I notice each time because the odour starts up again

2020 Sport S 2dr 2.0
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well it is probably working as it should, if you are setting still in your garage or driveway when this happens. If it happens when you are driving behind someone, again, working as it should. If you can roll down the window and smell the same odor, it's working fine. Often I can smell it when the engine is running and parked, because the wind is blowing the exhaust from the rear of the vehicle to the front where the inlet to the HVAC draws it into the vehicle. But if it's happening when there is no exhaust outside and you are driving forward, it needs to be checked out by someone with a meter.
Klein Tools Carbon Monoxide Meter-ET110 - The Home Depot

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, so I've been living with this for a couple of months. Its not normal. Smell is almost immediate when HVAC is on fresh air and I stop moving, everytime.
I'm thinking there must be an exhaust leak up front somewhere.
Will take it in for oil change and have them look at it

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
why does the recirculating mode turn off on its own?
I believe auto makers have recirculate turn off automagically in certain conditions, primarily to prevent window fogging. I don't know that I've ever it turn off automagically in the JL, perhaps if you're in a more humid environment it happens more often.

Sponsored

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not enough for them to just look at it. Some action must be taken.
Yes, ofcourse. But first we need to diagnose it, that's what I meant

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe auto makers have recirculate turn off automagically in certain conditions, primarily to prevent window fogging. I don't know that I've ever it turn off automagically in the JL, perhaps if you're in a more humid environment it happens more often.
It does turn off automatically after a certain amount of time and as soon as I come to a red light, I can smell that recirc is off, because the odour is immediate. As soon as I enable recirc the odour subsides and eventually is gone. Quite annoying. I've gotten so accustomed to turn off the auto stop/start and constantly turning on recirculate

Just book an oil change and to have the diagnosed for the 15th of February. Fingers crossed

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, so I misidentified the smell. Turns out there was a fuel leak! Luckily I didn't burn down my Wrangler. At dealer today getting repaired. I had noticed a decrease in fuel efficiency, but I had chocked it up to our January cold and my short trips everywhere.
Thankfully it is being taken care of

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is very interesting. I had the exact same issue with my Fiat 124 Spider: the smell of fuel/fumes would come into the cabin as soon as the vehicle stopped moving; it’d go away the second the car got going.

My daily trips are also short: 1-3 miles one way.

The dealer has been unable to replicate/identify. Having said that, the smell has been gone for a couple months. Perhaps due to the cold weather.

Question: where did they find the leak?

Sponsored

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They didn't specify to me yet. I'll ask when I pick it up later today. But clearly somewhere near the air intake for the HVAC

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

interesting. random question but did you have the Rona? in the last year and loose you smell? I had it last February and since having it and getting my smell back, oil burning and fuel smell completely different than it used to. Figured i'd ask because It is a known condition called Parosmia. Keep us posted though with what they found leaking on the fuel system. i would guess a failed connection on the High pressure inlet

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

First Name
Nektar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rona free until now. But truthfully, as soon as the odour began I'd hit the recirc button so it never was in the air that long for me to deep dive into identifying the smell. I just assumed exhaust leak.

I've only owned my Wrangler since November and working from home, I've had limited seat time in it.