Sponsored

For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I read further, into the articles. Times beach was a health hazard, because of the over spraying of a few hundred thousand gallons in the area, and the indoor spraying, of a horse arena. No health problems have been associated with that incident(except dead birds and rodents inside the arena), and fear mongering was blamed for the hysteria there.

The other article basically talks about a business owner violating EPA rules, and getting hammered for it.

If you really want to get all up in arms, test the soils at Railroad Switching Yards. Or, the soil under railroad tracks. But, since the railways are an American necessity, and people love trains, those studies are usually buried.
Sponsored

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
Find someone with a good old fashioned Diesel engine…some of those will burn motor oil.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I read further, into the articles. Times beach was a health hazard, because of the over spraying of a few hundred thousand gallons in the area, and the indoor spraying, of a horse arena. No health problems have been associated with that incident(except dead birds and rodents inside the arena), and fear mongering was blamed for the hysteria there.

The other article basically talks about a business owner violating EPA rules, and getting hammered for it.

If you really want to get all up in arms, test the soils at Railroad Switching Yards. Or, the soil under railroad tracks. But, since the railways are an American necessity, and people love trains, those studies are usually buried.
I remember some class I had back in the 70s or 80s, where I needed to invite a speaker. I had someone from Cal EPA come out. The guy was really fascinating. He had a lot of pictures of severe contamination. One in particular stuck in my mind was the blue soil many feet down, under a chrome plating place that had dug a hole and was pouring in the waste cyanide and sludge from the plating tanks.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Find someone with a good old fashioned Diesel engine…some of those will burn motor oil.
With my older, 2000 Dodge Diesel, any used motor oil I had, I poured into the tank. It was only 1 gallon of oil per fill-up. Any old vegetable oil was dumped in too. The vegetable oil exhaust smelled great, like popcorn. The only thing I did differently was to change the fuel filter at 5k instead of 10k. That used Motor oil would turn the fuel filter black, pretty fast. In the 2006 Dodge 2500 4X4 Cummins, I don't dump oil in the tank. The Common Rail injectors are too precise and expensive to mess with any chance of contamination. people do it, but do some extra filtering first. I still have the 2006, and it still is all original, and still runs strong. Never have had any real issues, other than a water pump, which is a snap to change.

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
I don't do this anymore, preferring Round-Up for its broadband efficiency. That said, I'm not losing sleep about old habits, either.
Motor oil vs Round-Up....boy that's a tough lesser of two evils situation. Pretty certain you yourself are better using the oil.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Motor oil vs Round-Up....boy that's a tough lesser of two evils situation. Pretty certain you yourself are better using the oil.
Presuming you're serious :), I'm inclined to agree here. I've now seen just enough press about glyphosate (and not just from the ambulance chasers) to give me pause when shopping the lawn care aisle at Ace Hardware.

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
Presuming you're serious :), I'm inclined to agree here. I've now seen just enough press about glyphosate (and not just from the ambulance chasers) to give me pause when shopping the lawn care aisle at Ace Hardware.
Unfortunately I am serious. I went on a Round-Up alternative hunt early this summer. Industrial strength white vinegar is pretty effective.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Unfortunately I am serious. I went on a Round-Up alternative hunt early this summer. Industrial strength white vinegar is pretty effective.
I have some 45% vinegar that I dilute to 7%, but sometimes I use it full strength (whew…that stuff is harsh!). Never thought to use it on weeds. Can you just spray a bit on the foliage? Or do you need to douse it?

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
I have some 45% vinegar that I dilute to 7%, but sometimes I use it full strength (whew…that stuff is harsh!). Never thought to use it on weeds. Can you just spray a bit on the foliage? Or do you need to douse it?
Spray a bit on the foliage, starts working fast. Everything tastes like vinegar for a bit :).

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
I have a catch pan for the cars I have to pull the drain plug on. I use an extractor for the cars with a top filter. If I don't have to get on the ground I won't. 3 out of 4 in my home fleet al have top filters now so i only have to crawl under my son's van. Jeep, Audi, and Cruze all have top filters. The extractor will actually get a bit more out than the bottom plug. The boss in the pan that the plug threads into has to be raised slightly which creates a small puddle being left in the pan. My extractor will get most of that puddle out.

Once extracted and new oil dumped in I just transfer to the jug and take to any parts store. Autozone, O'reilleys, and Advance all recycle. Lately they have not been taking the jugs though. Now to figure out how/where to recycle coolant.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Agreed.

Years ago, we'd dribble used motor oil around the fence posts to eliminate seasonal weed growth. It always worked, and worked well. Our only expense was our time. I don't do this anymore, preferring Round-Up for its broadband efficiency. That said, I'm not losing sleep about old habits, either.
If you have a tractor supply store try their 43% glyphosate weed killer, or Home Depot has a 41% for a good deal vs Roundup, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Compare...e4ef527ef66f00242481a947f5cbfb78d42f897abdad1

now back to talking motor oil lol.

Bingo blue

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU eco diesel
I have been using the pan below for over a decade. I drain it into a 5 gallon sample bottle and take it to AutoZone, WalMart, Advance Auto Parts, or O'Reilly's to recycle it when it is full.

Pan:

81bifoArByL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sample Bottle:

67124p.jpg
Grinch is on point đź‘Ť

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
For those using those pans where you then have to pour the oil into the old bottles . . . WHY DO YOU HATE YOURSELF SO MUCH?

I used to do that. Catch it in the old-school tin pan that my grandfather used. Grab the funnel off the wall, pour the oil into the first bottle, end up spilling a little from overfilling it. Move to the next one, while getting a few drips of oil on the garage floor while moving the funnel. Fill the 2nd (being careful NOT to overfill it!) , move funnel, more drips, all the way to the 9th bottle.

Fill 9th bottle, only to find that I still have a little left because I didn't fill the bottles up all the way. Decide to pour last little bit on that patch of grass next to the fence in the backyard.

Put lids on all 9 quarts, then clean each quart with a rag. That first one is still oily, so I can either wash it or put it in a trash bag. Trash bag it is! Now the funnel. Decide to just sit it on the grass next to the driveway to let it drain. I'll put it right on the dead ring of grass from last time I did this.

Bring all 9 to the auto parts store (find out one fell over in the back on the way, but it only got a couple drips of oil on the rubber mat so that'll wipe out OK). Make 2 trips to get them all inside. Fish the one from the trash bag, getting hands oily in the process. Pour into the waste oil drum. Repeat with quarts 2-9. Throw them all away, or bring them back home so that they can smell up the garage until my next oil change.

OOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Buy one of these for $16 at Walmart. Drain into the pan. Put the stopper back in. Drive to the auto parts store, empty into the drum, drive back home and put the pan away until next time.

Jeep Wrangler JL For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it? afb9-15067b047f3e.9410103925df791de0f040632cead976

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
For those using those pans where you then have to pour the oil into the old bottles . . . WHY DO YOU HATE YOURSELF SO MUCH?

I used to do that. Catch it in the old-school tin pan that my grandfather used. Grab the funnel off the wall, pour the oil into the first bottle, end up spilling a little from overfilling it. Move to the next one, while getting a few drips of oil on the garage floor while moving the funnel. Fill the 2nd (being careful NOT to overfill it!) , move funnel, more drips, all the way to the 9th bottle.

Fill 9th bottle, only to find that I still have a little left because I didn't fill the bottles up all the way. Decide to pour last little bit on that patch of grass next to the fence in the backyard.

Put lids on all 9 quarts, then clean each quart with a rag. That first one is still oily, so I can either wash it or put it in a trash bag. Trash bag it is! Now the funnel. Decide to just sit it on the grass next to the driveway to let it drain. I'll put it right on the dead ring of grass from last time I did this.

Bring all 9 to the auto parts store (find out one fell over in the back on the way, but it only got a couple drips of oil on the rubber mat so that'll wipe out OK). Make 2 trips to get them all inside. Fish the one from the trash bag, getting hands oily in the process. Pour into the waste oil drum. Repeat with quarts 2-9. Throw them all away, or bring them back home so that they can smell up the garage until my next oil change.

OOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Buy one of these for $16 at Walmart. Drain into the pan. Put the stopper back in. Drive to the auto parts store, empty into the drum, drive back home and put the pan away until next time.

Jeep Wrangler JL For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it? afb9-15067b047f3e.9410103925df791de0f040632cead976
I can never catch the garage that recycles oil in my small town when they are open. So, 5qt oil container rather than 5 1qt oil containers, fill it (only 1 instead of 5), and leave it at their front door (they are cool with this move), and move on with my day. Outside of that I would leave it in a similar catch pan as you have here, pour it out and bring it home.
Sponsored