Sponsored

For Those Who Change Their Own Oil: what do you drain into? How do you dispose of it?

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Like most others, I drain into a plastic pan I bought at Wally World for like 4 bucks. Then pour it into old gallon plastic water bottles, and take it to my County's recycle center when I get enough to make the trip.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Like most others, I drain into a plastic pan I bought at Wally World for like 4 bucks. Then pour it into old gallon plastic water bottles, and take it to my County's recycle center when I get enough to make the trip.

I do the same. In Houston, there is too much run-off, and the water table is too shallow, for me to comfortably dig a hole, and bury the oil. Too many bayous and streams all around me. Besides, Houston is already a big toxic dump, without me contributing.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I do the same. In Houston, there is too much run-off, and the water table is too shallow, for me to comfortably dig a hole, and bury the oil. Too many bayous and streams all around me. Besides, Houston is already a big toxic dump, without me contributing.
I agree. As a kid I would just drain the oil in the ditch, but times have changed. I'm not a tree hugger by any means, but it just makes sense to me that pouring in the ground isn't a good idea.

Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
If your local Walmart has an auto department they also take used oils.

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I either pour the used oil back in the containers that the new oil come in or in gallon jugs I've saved back just for that purpose.
I live in a small community and drop the used oil off at most any place that does oil changes.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Correct me if I am wrong. But, doesn't motor oil originate in the ground??
Oil formation began in the sea, via the decomposition of oceanic organic matter known as plankton. The "dead dinosaurs" trope was put to bed many moons ago. :)

When I was a kid people would pour it around their house foundation to prevent termite infestations. I don't know if it worked.
Precision squirts of used engine oil worked very well to prevent any plant growth around fence posts. It's easy to envision a similar effectiveness if used to prevent insect infestations.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I recycle mine at the county's site, but growing up my dad used this method, published in Popular Mechanics in the 1960's
1644064220961.png
OMG. We used to do this in a gravel patch right beside the driveway. That house is probably a superfund site now. We used to do a lot of stupid things now that I think about it.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Well, there is truth in that. Radioactive waste might be an exception, and chemical/heavy metal dump sites might overwhelm nature, for a time.
Little bit of truth in all of this. Radioactive waste is like petroleum products. I worked in that biz for about 10 years. It gets refined like oil, then becomes more toxic, like oil. Some natural radioactive elements are harmful as they are found in nature in some locations, but over a long period of time usually. Like some oil waste, when we're done with it, we put it back in the ground to keep it away from us. Again, bobbing and weaving to stay away from the toxic stuff the earth has.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Little bit of truth in all of this. Radioactive waste is like petroleum products. I worked in that biz for about 10 years. It gets refined like oil, then becomes more toxic, like oil. Some natural radioactive elements are harmful as they are found in nature in some locations, but over a long period of time usually. Like some oil waste, when we're done with it, we put it back in the ground to keep it away from us. Again, bobbing and weaving to stay away from the toxic stuff the earth has.
Except the half life of motor oil and radioactive waste is very different. Personally, I try not to pollute. But, in my youth, going out behind the shed, and pouring out the oil wasn't unheard of. It never stopped the weeds and grass from growing in that area.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Except the half life of motor oil and radioactive waste is very different. Personally, I try not to pollute. But, in my youth, going out behind the shed, and pouring out the oil wasn't unheard of. It never stopped the weeds and grass from growing in that area.
The "half life" of radioactive elements is all over the map. Some are measured in milliseconds, some in decades or more. Hiroshima is a thriving metropolis today because the half life of most of the harmful elements has long passed or dissipated.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
It never stopped the weeds and grass from growing in that area.
It did, however, do a great job in dust reduction on limestone graveled roads out in the country.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer