Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
I wouldn’t even pretend that the rock sports are in the same league as the fox 2.5” dsc’s, but they are a great budget friendly option. They allow a massive increase in wheel travel over the stock shocks for sure.
20220130_133436.jpg
20211003_105216.jpg
No not in the same class as the fancy FOX shocks by no means but they side much better day to day on road for the average guy.
Sponsored

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Setting the shocks to their softest setting will "smooth out" the ride on road. Airing down the tires close to 30psi vs 40 where my dealer wants to put them every time they touch my jeep makes a huge difference too. Unfortunately the XR’S have very limited up travel and hitting the bumpstops is going to make for a very harsh ride. If you want to keep it on the lower side I'd buy a set of 1" spacers to gain the uptravel at a minimum. Of course if I was spending the money on those shocks I would go full 2.5-3.5" lift kit right out the gate to avoid running shocks that are too short when I decided to go to 37's but that's just me.
Thanks for that info. I won't go bigger on the tires. The operating range for the tires is 35 to 45PSI for the KO2's but I went to 34lbs but probably won't go much lower than 33/32 max due to gas millage, already averaging about 10MPG. No one seems to have an answer on how much lift I will actually get because these are too new and have apparently 1.5 inches of lift over the regular Rubicon.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
More sound deadening material will help with cabin noise (i.e., what they do for installing stereos). But yeah, 2.5 DSC shocks may not improve the on road quality so to speak. I'd hope that it would retain it, and then improve off road.
I'm pretty sure with low and high speed adjustments the ride will be a huge improvement over stock Mopar junk shocks so it better be or I'm sending them back with a 30 day money back guarantee. The only other option is to go with the Cadillac of shocks which are the race 3.0's. Yes I saw many sound deadening options and I'm definitely leaning towards Sound Assassin, will let you know how much the improvement is for those of you that are babies out there like me and don't want to hurt their little ears.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm pretty sure with low and high speed adjustments the ride will be a huge improvement over stock Mopar junk shocks so it better be or I'm sending them back with a 30 day money back guarantee. The only other option is to go with the Cadillac of shocks which are the race 3.0's. Yes I saw many sound deadening options and I'm definitely leaning towards Sound Assassin, will let you know how much the improvement is for those of you that are babies out there like me and don't want to hurt their little ears.
Honestly it's too subjective. Good luck though, they're certainly nice shocks!

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Personally I prefer the MC RockSport shocks they are a regressive shock rather the progressive. I already have the shocks and RK triple rate 2.5” once the XR is here.
I had been seriously considering Rock Krawler triple rate springs but I don't know if that would even make sense with only 3 or 4 inches of room on my bumpstops. I know the ride would be better but the bumpstop would come into play well before the 3rd level spring engagement, perhaps even the second level of the progression. Anyone have input on this specific to the Xtreme Recon model?

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i definitely "don't want to hurt [my] little ears"; while i may be fluent in Sign Language, i don't want to *have* to be.
why should anyone have to listen to that noise if they don't want to?

i was unimpressed by the Roof Liner offered from the factory and went with the Hot Heads system for about the same $. bought on one of their frequent specials, and threw in the Sound Assassin option for kicks.
because of the way things worked out, i ended up putting the SA strips in some days before i got around to the rest, and have to say that the difference the SA strips made was remarkable; wind and tire noise were significaantly dampened. adding the actual Hot Heads panels didn't make much more difference.

<snip>
Yes I saw many sound deadening options and I'm definitely leaning towards Sound Assassin, will let you know how much the improvement is for those of you that are babies out there like me and don't want to hurt their little ears.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had been seriously considering Rock Krawler triple rate springs but I don't know if that would even make sense with only 3 or 4 inches of room on my bumpstops. I know the ride would be better but the bumpstop would come into play well before the 3rd level spring engagement, perhaps even the second level of the progression. Anyone have input on this specific to the Xtreme Recon model?
You do realize if you were to purchase a complete 2.5” lift it would come with the same length bump stops that you are Already getting with the Xtreme. Even a spacer lift comes with bumpstop extensions. Thats to keep your 35” tires from eating your fenders. The only time you want less bumpstop is when you replace the factor fenders with flat fenders. No worries about hitting the 3rd stage. You will hit it with the factory bump stops.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i definitely "don't want to hurt [my] little ears"; while i may be fluent in Sign Language, i don't want to *have* to be.

i was unimpressed by the Roof Liner offered from the factory and went with the Hot Heads system for about the same $. bought on one of their frequent specials, and threw in the Sound Assassin option for kicks.
because of the way things worked out, i ended up putting the SA strips in some days before i got around to the rest, and have to say that the difference the SA strips made was remarkable; wind and tire noise were significaantly dampened. adding the actual Hot Heads panels didn't make much more difference.
Do you go Off. road at all??? Tire noise is the nature Of the beast with a good off road tire.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
hilarious!

fact is, some tires are more noisy than others. they don’t all need to be.
and some tires that work excellently make very little noise on pavement at all.

much also depends on what kind of surfaces you’re playing on.

but i understand some people think they need that noise ( for whatever reason). many grow out of that ‘need’ as they start traveling further to get to where they play.

frankly, why should we listen to any more noise than we already have to?

Do you go Off. road at all??? Tire noise is the nature Of the beast with a good off road tire.

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon

I'm hearing more and more that Sound Assassin is great. I'm going to put in the strips and I'm going to put CoverKing overtop of that for a finished look. Additionally, I will do the SA full kit, it should sounds like I'm locked inside a soundproof room when I'm done. :)

Sponsored

halewest

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
You do realize if you were to purchase a complete 2.5” lift it would come with the same length bump stops that you are Already getting with the Xtreme. Even a spacer lift comes with bumpstop extensions. Thats to keep your 35” tires from eating your fenders. The only time you want less bumpstop is when you replace the factor fenders with flat fenders. No worries about hitting the 3rd stage. You will hit it with the factory bump stops.
Yes, I realize I can't go lower in the stroke or it will simply cause problems, I have to go higher springs by about and inch or more and that should do it. I installed the Fox 2.5 Performance Elites with external reservoir. I have to install the rear one's today but I took it for a short test drive and the difference was absolutely amazing on the road and on a serious set of ditches I took it over. Very impressed, now I just need the IFP bump stops and this will clear out any heavy bottoming effect and that's all that is needed. Note to those Xtreme Recon owners out there, those Mopar's they put on the XR are just a terrible ride 35's or not. I'm "SHOCKED" that they put Fox shocks on the regular Rubicon but not on the XR that costs way more.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hilarious!

fact is, some tires are more noisy than others. they don’t all need to be.
and some tires that work excellently make very little noise on pavement at all.

much also depends on what kind of surfaces you’re playing on.

but i understand some people think they need that noise ( for whatever reason). many grow out of that ‘need’ as they start traveling further to get to where they play.

frankly, why should we listen to any more noise than we already have to?
The fact is that aggressive tires that actually work are noisy. That is and always has been the nature of the beast. A Quiet tread design is a compromise plain and simple and will NEVER compare to a lug tire off-road. Certainly, if you don’t need an aggressive tire, By all means go for the quiet one. Some of us understand this and never grow out of loving the sound of a good lug tire.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I realize I can't go lower in the stroke or it will simply cause problems, I have to go higher springs by about and inch or more and that should do it. I installed the Fox 2.5 Performance Elites with external reservoir. I have to install the rear one's today but I took it for a short test drive and the difference was absolutely amazing on the road and on a serious set of ditches I took it over. Very impressed, now I just need the IFP bump stops and this will clear out any heavy bottoming effect and that's all that is needed. Note to those Xtreme Recon owners out there, those Mopar's they put on the XR are just a terrible ride 35's or not. I'm "SHOCKED" that they put Fox shocks on the regular Rubicon but not on the XR that costs way more.
Actually the regular Rubicon comes with the same shocks. Only the Mojave comes with FOX from the factory. The Mopar lift also comes with Fox shocks.
What you pay for with the Xtreme package is that heavier 392 front diff housing, 4.56 gears, performance brakes, bigger tires, better rims and the heavier tailgate spare tire support ….

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i understand that you like noisy, and want to believe that good must equal noisy.
still, tire technology has advanced to the point that makes it possible to have tires that work quite well in varied conditions and don't have to leave your head ringing at the end of a multi-hour drive.

regardless, my comments were more about sound-proofing; and tires aren't the only source of noise in these vehicles. again, there's just no reason to put up with any more noise than you want to, and we don't all want to.

The fact is that aggressive tires that actually work are noisy. That is and always has been the nature of the beast. A Quiet tread design is a compromise plain and simple and will NEVER compare to a lug tire off-road. Certainly, if you don’t need an aggressive tire, By all means go for the quiet one. Some of us understand this and never grow out of loving the sound of a good lug tire.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i understand that you like noisy, and want to believe that good must equal noisy.
still, tire technology has advanced to the point that makes it possible to have tires that work quite well in varied conditions and don't have to leave your head ringing at the end of a multi-hour drive.

regardless, my comments were more about sound-proofing; and tires aren't the only source of noise in these vehicles. again, there's just no reason to put up with any more noise than you want to, and we don't all want to.
There is no “want to believe” about it. I’ve been around long enough and worn out enough tires in everything from mud and snow to rock in freezing temps to know what works.
Sound deadening is fine if that’s what you are about but realistically if you want a super quiet ride the Jeep is not the vehicle to get anyway. A RAM pickup like a Power Wagon can do almost everything a Jeep can and ride nice and quiet.
Sponsored