Sponsored

Aftermarket Prices - will summer bring down prices?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

While costs have gone up, I think there are some who are also taking advantage of the times by drastically increasing prices. That said, I think there is definitely a "Wrangler tax" on parts especially when you look at some of the parts & their prices, e.g. winch plates for $200+ or $1,000 side steps/rock rails, etc.
Yes this, and not just within the Jeep/aftermarket community.

TONS of examples (especially in retail) of companies raising prices while blaming inflation/supply/etc costs but continuing to pay out *massive* Executive Bonuses.

I'm not saying that inflation and lower supply/higher demand isn't a factor, but it's not impacting prices nearly as much as Companies would have you believe. It's just a convenient excuse for them to increase prices more than they actually need to.
Sponsored

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Yes this, and not just within the Jeep/aftermarket community.

TONS of examples (especially in retail) of companies raising prices while blaming inflation/supply/etc costs but continuing to pay out *massive* Executive Bonuses.

I'm not saying that inflation and lower supply/higher demand isn't a factor, but it's not impacting prices nearly as much as Companies would have you believe. It's just a convenient excuse for them to increase prices more than they actually need to.
100%. I just had to have a water heater replaced in my home and was charged over $1,200 for approx $100 in parts I could’ve picked up at Home Depot. That was using my home warranty! Had I known I would’ve replaced it myself.

Wrangler parts have always been expensive for what they are, but lately prices have gotten ridiculous. I look at the same parts I bought for my JKU just 2-3 years ago that are now double the price.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Except that they pre-funded the child credit tax refunds this year unless you opted to not have them send you the refund early. It defaulted to "pay me now".

Edit: I think it's anyone's guess what happens this year. There is no rational explanation for this year, who'd have thought tech stocks would have gone parabolic and the rise of crypto. I've never had a new car go UP in value after I bought it.
Yeah, depreciating assets that appreciate in value is rarely a good symptom. It is usually a sign of some bubble.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I don't know if you have received the answer you are looking for but in my experience, aftermarket companies are fairly content leaving things as-is over summer. Typically I make my major purchases around holidays like black friday, July 4th, Memorial Day, and so on. If you have some patience, sign up for their respective newsletters and keep an eye out. Some vedors do offer forum discounts, it never hurts to ask. Many offer military discounts as well. Lately I have tried my best to support the little guys and avoid companies that get parts or materials from overseas. Admittedly, I'm a little butt hurt right now, not too happy with our current administration, and seeing "Free" tests being sent out that were "Made In China" is just downright insulting. I have been blessed and can afford to pay a bit more. I try to keep the dollars on our soil. Yeah, bit salty. Sorry.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Yeah, depreciating assets that appreciate in value is rarely a good symptom. It is usually a sign of some bubble.
That's one of the reasons we're trading out of used cars (unreal trade-in) for new cars. If we swap out my Mustang for another car, the price delta is 5K. 5 1/2 year old car that we bought used, literally worth $1K more than we paid, trade on a new car and write a $5K check. That's upside down world, but we'll do it.

From the used and new car world I work in, word is values dropped a bit in January, expected to climb back by March, then start correcting after October, but it will be a slow slide through next year. No one knows for sure, but supply WILL be increasing by fall, then will start working back to more normal inventory levels projected by October 2023. Almost all of our units coming in are sold before they get here, but we have a little new inventory on hand. Quite a bit of used inventory right now, and it's selling steadily. The units that are on order for stock usually have a name on them by the time they come off the truck. People are buying, so demand is high enough that there is no reason to discount.

Not sure how that's going to translate to the aftermarket, but it always seems like a lot of the items I go looking for are in and out of stock. I've been watching for sales, and every now and then one comes up, but if it does don't hesitate. When things go on sale, they tend to go away.
Sponsored