Sponsored

Aftermarket Prices - will summer bring down prices?

Evergreen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander, 21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Autonomous Vehicles

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Firstly, we are not in "record territory for inflation." The last official figure was 6.2%. While that is significantly higher than the 2% we have been used to in recent decades, US inflation was 18%-22% in the late 1970s through the early 1980s.

Secondly, according to the "experts," the latest prediction is that the current shortages should remain for the entire 2022, and perhaps run into 2023. Of course the same experts were predicting that these shortages would end in 2021, so that tells you how much they really know...

Global events will determine how our supply lines fare through the year. COVID appears to be in its last legs; thank God! Separately, the more the Chinese government starts acting up, the greater the incentive for many manufacturers to pull their supply lines out of China.

In any event, I highly doubt any of this will resolve itself by summer.

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
Prices of raw material have been going up, not sure they will ever go down but if they do it will still take a bit for the aftermarket places to adjust their prices down. I wouldn't hold out any hope that prices will go down this summer.

TeraFlex

First Name
TeraFlex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teraflex.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT, JK
The cost of raw materials (aluminum, steel, rubber, etc) shipping, employee wages/care, and a bunch of other factors have driven up costs; in some examples upwards of 200% above pre 2020/Covid19 levels. Unfortunately these costs are not going down, and in fact most are continuing to rise with time. Prices may temporarily dip with sales and promos, but the realistic reality is the increased costs are going to be the new norm unless a large market crash/shift dictates otherwise.

Last edited:

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I will tell you I'm in the construction industry, electrical. Steel right now is more expensive than aluminum. Aluminum wire is 1/3 the price of copper. Lead times are now being extended out to 30 weeks. Even if I pay expediting fees, there is zero guarantee of delivery. We used to give a 30 day price guarantee, now it's 48 hours.

I hate to say it, but hold on to your britches because it's going to get worse. We have not begun to feel the pain yet. The ripples will turn to swells will turn to waves....

Sponsored

clickclickboom

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392, BMW X3M Comp, Audi S4, KTM Superduke
The bumper will not drop in price to what it was 20 yrs ago and it won't drop in price to it was 6mo ago.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
While costs have gone up, I think there are some who are also taking advantage of the times by drastically increasing prices. That said, I think there is definitely a "Wrangler tax" on parts especially when you look at some of the parts & their prices, e.g. winch plates for $200+ or $1,000 side steps/rock rails, etc.

OP
OP
Evergreen

Evergreen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Autonomous Vehicles
Sorry I should’ve been a little bit more clear my question. I’m not looking for an outlook on the economy. Just asking if prices typically dip down in the spring or summer months.

MRMDFY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadowbanned and taking the bus
Sorry I should’ve been a little bit more clear my question. I’m not looking for an outlook on the economy. Just asking if prices typically dip down in the spring or summer months.
So you're asking people to ignore the present economic reality and just sort of give you an answer based on an economic "norm" that existed at some other point in time?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think so. January and February are normally the slowest months in the auto market. Most households are overspent from the holidays.

Things start picking up with tax refunds. By Memorial Weekend, the car business is usually back in full swing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Evergreen

Evergreen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Autonomous Vehicles
So you're asking people to ignore the present economic reality and just sort of give you an answer based on an economic "norm" that existed at some other point in time?
Yes so I can judge if prices “might” go down. Just like TVs over Black Friday or tools during Father’s Day.

OP
OP
Evergreen

Evergreen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Autonomous Vehicles
I don't think so. January and February are normally the slowest months in the auto market. Most households are overspent from the holidays.

Things start picking up with tax refunds. By Memorial Weekend, the car business is usually back in full swing.
Thanks!

Birdsong

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wangler, 2021 Silverado Z71
Shipping costs will not go down, a 40' container that cost $1500 to go from China to the US in 2019, cost upwards of $21,000 now. The ocean freight companies know that demand is greater than the supply for space on these ships and are continually raising prices.

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
IMHO you may just want to do a little more research and look for another type of bumper-too many out here to settle, yet everything is going to be expensive and besides when has anything for a wrangler been cheap. Good Luck on your decision.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Except that they pre-funded the child credit tax refunds this year unless you opted to not have them send you the refund early. It defaulted to "pay me now".

Edit: I think it's anyone's guess what happens this year. There is no rational explanation for this year, who'd have thought tech stocks would have gone parabolic and the rise of crypto. I've never had a new car go UP in value after I bought it.
Sponsored