Don’t remove the Mylar off the Fender Flares

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I thought they were just there for travel protection when they were being transported on the trailer. I removed them. Didn’t realize how bad the front tires throw up road debris. I have two chips now.

Wish I never took them off. Csn you purchase these to fit the flares?
Sponsored

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
I thought they were just there for travel protection when they were being transported on the trailer. I removed them. Didn’t realize how bad the front tires throw up road debris. I have two chips now.

Buy some 3m automotive protective film on Amazon and just cut a piece to size and apply it to the area. It's super easy to apply and super durable!

OP
OP
usmcss

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
Buy some 3m automotive protective film on Amazon and just cut a piece to size and apply it to the area. It's super easy to apply and super durable!
Thanks a lot Tunesoul!!!

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Thanks, was wondering the same thing. I was considering taking them off because dirt collects around the edges of it.

Sponsored

RIP11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
does the film actually prevent rock chips?

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
does the film actually prevent rock chips?
Yes it does, it's similar to a 3M Clear Armor. It might even be made by 3M. It definitely prevents some rock chips.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I'm going to get some or have it done because my drivers side lower corners are coming up.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I'm going to get some or have it done because my drivers side lower corners are coming up.

Mine was peeling as well - so I just had all 4 fenders completely covered with 30mil Clear Bra. I also had them cover the fronts of the hinges after seeing the chips on the [Banned Site] video after they did some dirt road running.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Mine was peeling as well - so I just had all 4 fenders completely covered with 30mil Clear Bra. I also had them cover the fronts of the hinges after seeing the chips on the [Banned Site] video after they did some dirt road running.
You mind telling how much that work cost? I think that's exactly what I would get done. How's it look? Is it obvious? Is there coating on the front fenders from the factory as well?

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
You mind telling how much that work cost? I think that's exactly what I would get done. How's it look? Is it obvious? Is there coating on the front fenders from the factory as well?

You cannot even tell it is there unless you look for the seams by the edges. I did the front grill, hood, around the windshield (based on the chips I have on my ‘09 JKUR with 100k miles)

I’d send a picture now but it is dark. I’ll post one tomorrow if you’d like.

The cost for all 4 fenders was around $200, all the clear-bra work was ~$1,700. They dismantled the rubi hood parts to lay it down clean. You cannot tell it is there. Until a rock hits and you just smile.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
It appears as this protection film may only be applied to the Rubicons. I bought a Sahara and there is no film on the back fenders.

My thinking is possibly due to the smaller tires and the running boards. I don't think rocks and road debris will be an issue as it is first deflected by the running boards.