First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
On a side note and out of curiosity, I've seen several comments on various threads where people mention having a current year Wrangler and ordering the very next year Wrangler. I know everyone's situation is unique but do you mind sharing why you are doing this? Trying to wrap my mind around why I've seem so many members do this.
I wonder if it is due to the increased trim levels. When I bought my '19 JLU it was Sport, Sport S, Sahara, Rubicon to choose from. If I had to replace my Jeep I'd certainly look at the new trim levels. I like the plush features of my Sahara but had I been able to buy a Willys in the Spring of 2019 I think I might have done so over the Sahara.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my Sahara and It's great off road. But something about the Willys speaks to me. I like the Recon trim Rubicon, too. So many directions and they are all good levels to chase.
Sponsored

Burntoutaccountant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
So I was actually team bronco at first. I didn’t have a reservation but was hunting one down for months. I almost bought one and the dealer sold it out from under me to someone paying more shitty business. Anyway. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I ended up settling on a sport s wrangler. I couldn’t be happier. It was a tried and true platform with a aftermarket that really won’t go away. I also needed a reliable daily driver that I could occasionally take off road here in Washington.

If I ever want to do bronco things I’ll drive my 96 because I built it to be a bulletproof pre runner. Unfortunately, I over restored it so it won’t see any narrow trails.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have a '21 Silverado w/10 speed and its amazing, much better than my old Silverado with the 6 speed. Never hunts for gears, skips gears based on load, and when towing there is always the perfect gear to maintain speed going up and down grades. I've heard people that have driven both GM and Fords with 10 speeds blame Fords programming. GM had an 8 speed and by all accounts its awful.

I don't have any experience with the ZF 8 speed in a Wrangler as I went with the 6 speed manual and I love it.
I have an F150 with the ZF 6 speed. It’s a really good transmission. Wife has a Navigator with the 10 speed and allmof the vehicles at work are Explorers with 10 speeds. The Navigator is great. The Explorers are kinda wonky. The ZF8 speed is better than both.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
On a side note and out of curiosity, I've seen several comments on various threads where people mention having a current year Wrangler and ordering the very next year Wrangler. I know everyone's situation is unique but do you mind sharing why you are doing this? Trying to wrap my mind around why I've seem so many members do this.
Long story short: lower payment/cash in my pocket, better gearing.

Long story longer: The used car market is pretty crazy. If it continues for the next couple months, I can sell my 2021 Wrangler with 10k-ish miles for what I paid for it. My 2021 Wrangler was purchased at $500 under invoice, but since then I've found a dealer selling for 5% under invoice, which is about $1200 less than what I paid for my current Wrangler for the exact same thing (with one additional option, 4.88 gears).

Essentially I can replace what I have with a current year, no miles, 4.88 gears (not available in 2021) and "save" $1,000, depending on the used car market. I also have some equity already build up in my current vehicle, so I should be able to lower my payment or keep some of that equity for something else.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Fords last true leader CEO was Allen Mulally. Those since are simply yes men to Bill Ford, who still remains as chairman of the board.
I worked for Alan in the 90's when he was Director of Engineering for the 777 program. I loved working for him. IMHO, Boeing went downhill when they decided to go a different direction rather than promoting from within and Alan left for Ford.

Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Would like to offer a little bit different perspective on this. We're finally buying a Wrangler because of one of the things that the JL has FINALLY brought to the table, and that's fuel mileage over 15 MPG, and driveability. Bottom line, we've offroaded with 4 cylinder rigs like Geo Tracker, Suzuki Sidekick, Jeep Patriot 4x4 manual, Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (2019 with the 1.3T) and they all are in the 25 MPG range for commuting. Why? Because we used our offroad capable rigs as commuters for years. We both commuted in separate cars, so we had something for fuel mileage, and something for fun/offroad, but it had to be a compromise because it still had to pull commuter duty. Our rigs are usually dirty, even though we wash them, because it's dusty here frequently and we like to be out in the woods somewhere.

I've driven, worked on, been around Jeeps my whole life from CJ's to the new stuff. I've built complete Jeeps for other people, but never had them for myself because they weren't practical for us. For serious offroad, we had quads for a bit, and still have dirt bikes. I've been to some of the serious trails at Moab with the dirtbike, and had a blast. We both like being independent on the trails sometimes, and it's great exercise.

With the advent of 20+ MPG and two incomes no kids, we finally hit the tipping point to buy a Jeep Wrangler. Always wanted one, but it simply wasn't as practical a vehicle for us. I hate to say it, but the old Suzuki based 4 wheelers were a heck of a lot more practical day to day, and they drove better. They got us way the heck and gone offroad, and they got 25 MPG for the 2 valve motor (all the time, 24-25.5, rip the knob off) and up to 28 with the 4 valve. The 4 door Sidekick is one of the vehicles we wish we'd never sold. Enough space to haul some gear, and it went places that no road car could go.

But we've always wanted a Jeep, and the JL drives well enough and gets good enough fuel mileage to finally tip the scales in that direction. I've driven the JK's, and they were ALMOST there for us, but it seemed like 15-17 MPG was where they lived. I've driven JL's both 2 and 4 door, and with the V6, I was seeing over 20 MPG driving back and forth to the house. Also, the biggest thing of all, they felt solid at 80 MPH on the freeway where I commute. The older ones didn't, bottom line.

So I know Jeeps don't get great fuel mileage. BUT once they hit that 20 MPG mark for us, we could justify it in our own minds. Because I can use it as a main car now, and it will actually drive well enough on the freeway that I don't feel like I'm dancing around at high speed.

We still offroad, we've been offroading for years, but we're finally getting a Willys edition 2 door that we really want. And it's a manual because we BOTH want to row our own gears and be in control of the drive offroad. Really looking forward to it!
I get 20 in my 2008 JKUX. Many get 12 in their JL’s. Depends on how you drive.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I worked for Alan in the 90's when he was Director of Engineering for the 777 program. I loved working for him. IMHO, Boeing went downhill when they decided to go a different direction rather than promoting from within and Alan left for Ford.
Imagine what he would have done at Ford had he stayed. Under his leadership the Ecoboosts and extensive use of aluminum were implemented. Look what jas happened with Boeing since he left.

My wife got to go see him speak. She left profoundly impressed with him.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Thanks for the review, always good to have a first hand experience. Although your review seems to be on par with what we have seen already.

One thing that was mentioned and that some just don't know or seem to forget is a Wrangler is a off road vehicle FIRST and an on road vehicle second. Jeep knows this and most that are smart enough to research the Wrangler before they purchase find this out and then make their decision. Personally I love the way my JL rides down the road and you can keep your IFS.

Another thing about the JL over previous Wranglers is it has a better body strength and rigidity, even the line going from the front fender all the way to the back was put there on purpose to increase body strength, rigidity, and overall integrity of the body, combined with the framed doors (when on) and the improved sport bar with the center section in my opinion is better than the bronco.

Point is (not wishing any one any I'll will) I am dreading seeing what's going to happen to a bronco in a even moderate speed roll over.

All this said it's simple not a Wrangler, period.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I get 20 in my 2008 JKUX. Many get 12 in their JL’s. Depends on how you drive.
I was just speaking from personal experience. The Jeep dealers have given us Wranglers as service loaners over the years when we take our other Jeeps in for service. Plus I work at a dealer that gets JK's and JL's on trade, which I help recondition for sale, and I get to drive them a bit and take them home from time to time to test. Just noticed that the JL's and JLU's were getting better mileage than I was getting with JK's, and certainly better than the TJ's I worked on and drove. The CJ's were 12MPG rigs with the motors we were doing for them, 360's and 401's.

I'll probably be one of the people that does okay on MPG I'm guessing.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Nice to read a true owners opinion instead of someone who is trying to prove something.
This is not a off road review as I am not a off road person and the Bronco never went off pavement.
I had a Bronco 2021 for 5 months and 7000 miles and I now have 2021 392 XR.
The bronco I had was a OuterBanks 2.7 Antimatter Blue cloth interior big screen soft top 33" alum wheels, not loaded, not stripped. It listed for exactly $50000 and I paid $50000. I had given up and then I started getting message saying it was being built. I decided to take it and see what I had bought. I had a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited loaded that I sold when the Bronco came in. The bronco was plain jane for me as I usually buy loaded with everything. I guess I got it 5600+- produced because I had spec'd a soft top. I cannot remember picking out any thing, but I guess I did.
The Bronco was used to drive 22 miles to work/business. It is very good on the highway, has a very strong on-center feel. My wife has a Lincoln Aviator that is a self driver and has every option, but I can say the Bronco is better than even that Lincoln when you are steering the lincoln. It is good real good. The Bronco rides good and the seats (non-powered) are good. It is a nice car that will probably go through some snow, some. I think it even a list price is too expensive and at $50K mine was way too plain. My wife missed power seats, I missed the adaptive cruise. It had high-end sound, but a bad speaker set up so poor sound. It has no vents in the back seat for heat and air, they are under the front seats so you do not feel any air. The doors have an oil drum sound when you close them. You end up telling people not to slam the doors. It reminds me of the quality of the cars from the early '60s maybe even earlier than that. I cannot compare to my $83000 list 392, but my 2018 JLR did list at just over $50K and it was just about as nice as my 392. The bronco is cold by the floor, it just seems like a cheap car in about every way. The 392 is real nice my 2018 JLR was real nice, the Bronco drives real nice and is way too expensive. Dollar for dollar the Bronco is way below a JLUR and the Bronco motor sounds like a sewing machine. My 392 is music to my ears every time I drive it I smile it is perfect. PS I sold the bronco for $5000 more than I paid for it to the dealer I bought it from and I paid $4500 over the $83000 list price for the 392 and I was very happy to do it. PS Bronco averaged 17 mpg, 392 averaged 13 mpg, 392 gas cost 10-15% more per gallon.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I met Alan Mulally at a business conference a few years back: smart, nice and humble guy.

They don’t make ‘em like that any more.

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Wrangler JL Rubicon (Manual Transmission)
Welcome back! Best thing I ever did was cancel my Bronco reservation and pulled the trigger on a 2 door Rubi.
2 door Rubi for the win! Love my 2 door.

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
Thanks for the feedback. I could never own a Ford anything (old Mopar salty dog) but its an interesting SUV. I LOVE my 392... its damn near as good as my Trailhawk for daily use as well.

One thing on the CarPlay comments - don't pair your phone with the head unit if you're using CarPlay, wired or wireless. Apple has intermittent issues if the head units see both interfaces active on the same phone. This is not just a Jeep or Ford thing, happens in all my cars/trucks as well. Only use the CarPlay feature/functions.
Only ford I’ve ever owned was my 02 lightning. Which started to fall apart inside. That’s it.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Only ford I’ve ever owned was my 02 lightning. Which started to fall apart inside. That’s it.
I had a 2010 Ford F-150 Raptor that I liked and kept longer than anything else I ever owned. normally I am a 15000-mile trade or sell the Raptor I kept for 110000 miles. It was a V8, not the sewing machine noisemaker they now have. I have a 2021 Wrangler 392 and it makes music so I will have it forever as I do not think there will be V8's going forward. It is a smile machine. I have owned many Corvettes the best was supercharged, the biggest disappointment was the most expensive the 32 valve ZR1, with no torque and lots of RPM and it did not come in a soft top.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I haven’t seen any bronco closely but I think the only great idea they had was the 4 piece hard top for easy 1 person removal!
I would like that on the Jeep. Maybe aftermarket can start selling those
I agree. Number one thing done right. And I liked the mirrors are body mounted. Not a huge deal but nice.
Sponsored