Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed : 400HP V6 w/ 37's

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Ford has had the advantage of waiting to see what Jeep does then design their rigs to improve upon what they've heard consumers complain about on Wranglers. When you start from that angle, it's a lot easier to 1 up the competition.
Idk. Between Jeep holding back over the years and the superior "bones" of the platform, I think it could be to Jeep's advantage.

The base JL provides a fairly high bar that required Ford to play games to match or beat it in several areas. But because Jeep has held back over the years, they can play the same game to steal back bragging rights.

Just a thought.
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
We all read the same quote about bhp "starting with a 4". Interestingly, that was instantly translated (by Jeep fans) in the worst possible way: the Bronco Raptor only has 400 bhp.

Perhaps it will have 499 bhp.
If I was to place a bet, I'd say 440HP. Keeping it just shy of the 450HP in the F150 Raptor.

Ford Performance wouldn't go through the trouble of doing all that extra work on intake/exhaust flow, new turbo's etc, to just end up with the same output as the 400HP on the Explorer and Aviator.

All that work should be good for 10%. We shall see. Regardless, I could care less about the final HP number. All I care about is that Ford is putting pressure on Jeep to respond. Lets see if the response from Jeep will be on par with 37s, better axles and better shocks from the factory.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I wouldn't count on it. I mean, if a shock busts going down the 405 freeway, then yeah. But, Ford's warranty paperwork specifically says....
You are missing the point. All the exclusions apply but are greatly compounded the second a dealer sees non-factory items like much larger tires, different axles, a lift, different shocks.

If you are trying to argue the point that modified vehicles have a harder time with warranty claims than stock vehicles, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Idk. Between Jeep holding back over the years and the superior "bones" of the platform, I think it could be to Jeep's advantage.

The base JL provides a fairly high bar that required Ford to play games to match or beat it in several areas. But because Jeep has held back over the years, they can play the same game to steal back bragging rights.

Just a thought.
That’s literally exactly how it’s gone with the bronco so far. Ford went through the rubicon specs and tried to 1-up Jeep in most every measurable way. Before the 1st broncos were delivered, the XR package was introduced giving the edge in ground clearance, approach/departure/break over angles, water fording, and crawl ratio back to the JL. They also got the 1st 392’s out before Ford could get around to producing broncos. I’d be surprised if Jeep doesn’t release a desert fighter, likely before the 1st bronco raptor gets delivered.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just wanted to focus on this. Jeeps don't have a higher towing limit . . . mainly because Jeep doesn't want to try.
Trust me - your Jeep can handle a LOT more than 3500lbs.
I doubt that very much. Put 10-15% of the trailer's weight on that hitch and you will be looking at the sky, with very light steering. Hit an ondulation on the road at speed, in the middle of a turn and bye bye you.

The Bronco Raptor has serious reinforcements in the hitch, has more weight on the nose, has a massively wider track, has massively better (and adjustable shocks) and has IFS. All these things make it much more capable of handling towing than a Wrangler.

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
That’s literally exactly how it’s gone with the bronco so far. Ford went through the rubicon specs and tried to 1-up Jeep in most every measurable way. Before the 1st broncos were delivered, the XR package was introduced giving the edge in ground clearance, approach/departure/break over angles, water fording, and crawl ratio back to the JL. They also got the 1st 392’s out before Ford could get around to producing broncos. I’d be surprised if Jeep doesn’t release a desert fighter, likely before the 1st bronco raptor gets delivered.
That was what I was getting at, but trying to be a bit more concise.

For example, in order to best the Rubi in crawl ratio, Ford had to go to 4.7 gears and a crawler gear.

But as the Jeep was only on 4.10s, gearing took it right back.

The high floor of the Jeep gives them the edge. If Ford took it back, Jeep can always reclaim bragging rights by just matching Ford.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I doubt that very much. Put 10-15% of the trailer's weight on that hitch and you will be looking at the sky, with very light steering. Hit an ondulation on the road at speed, in the middle of a turn and bye bye you.

The Bronco Raptor has serious reinforcements in the hitch, has more weight on the nose, has a massively wider track, has massively better (and adjustable shocks) and has IFS. All these things make it much more capable of handling towing than a Wrangler.
I disagree. The 01 wj was rated to tow 5klbs and did so with ease in my experience. It was unibody, had much weaker axles (aluminum center sections), was much lighter, had smaller brakes, a much inferior automatic transmission, and had a shorter wheelbase and narrower track width than the jlu. I wouldn't want to tow 8klbs or more with the jeep but you'd be surprised how well it will handle a 5klb trailer with nothing but a better hitch. People act like a 500lb tongue weight will max out the rear suspension, I'd bet we are over that when loaded for a camping trip between the cooler, tools, compressor, recovery gear, and camping gear and the jeep barely squats at all. There's a reason that Europe and Australia get a 5500lb tow rating and it's not because they value freedom over safety.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
So it is basically the size of a F150...pointless.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I’ve been having great fun trolling the Bronco forum on the merits of wonderful 392 Hemi V8 power. It has been enjoyable 😂

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Thats the GOAT...I don't mean GOAT MODE...Jeep better up their game

Sponsored

UrbanCowboyAZ

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLURD, ‘02 TJ
Occupation
Real Estate
Those flares are awful, but I had a revelation after my initial negative reaction. They obviously have to get the whole tire covered due to regulations and those flares will do their job off-road. But with Ford’s easy snap flares, you could buy another set of flares that look good and better suit the vehicle for on-road driving.

Now that’s something that I wish I could do on my Jeep. My tires stick out about 1.5” past my flares and it looks great. I get compliments on my setup all the time. But when I go off-road, I just flung mud, rocks, and sand into my vehicle and off the doors. It would be great to snap off my stock flares and add wider flares that covered my whole tire, or conversely, remove them completely for narrow trails. So what I thought was a big negative at first, is actually pretty awesome.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Those flares are awful, but I had a revelation after my initial negative reaction. They obviously have to get the whole tire covered due to regulations and those flares will do their job off-road. But with Ford’s easy snap flares, you could buy another set of flares that look good and better suit the vehicle for on-road driving.

Now that’s something that I wish I could do on my Jeep. My tires stick out about 1.5” past my flares and it looks great. I get compliments on my setup all the time. But when I go off-road, I just flung mud, rocks, and sand into my vehicle and off the doors. It would be great to snap off my stock flares and add wider flares that covered my whole tire, or conversely, remove them completely for narrow trails. So what I thought was a big negative at first, is actually pretty awesome.
As a fellow AZ resident, I also would like better fender coverage offroad. I am looking into adding the XR extensions to mine. May try to come up with a quick release setup so I can swap them on and off.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Ford has had the advantage of waiting to see what Jeep does then design their rigs to improve upon what they've heard consumers complain about on Wranglers. When you start from that angle, it's a lot easier to 1 up the competition. I'm anxious to see what Jeep does in return since it's now their move. We won't likely know until the JM though.

Like it, love it, or hate it, 1 thing that stands out about the Bronco Raptor is how they visually made it appear different from a regular Bronco. This is where I feel Jeep made their mistake with the 392. Other than the hood and engine sound, only enthusiasts will know the difference between a regular Rubi and a 392 Rubi. Yes I know it has bronze highlights and a different exhaust but again, only enthusiasts really know those distinctions.

The Bronco R on the other hand makes several visual distinctions between it and the regular Bronco.

Just like the XR fenders attachments, I feel Jeep rushed the 392 because they were trying to steal some thunder when the regular Bronco was revealed last year. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could afford a 392, I'd have one instead of a regular Rubi. But I still believe Jeep missed an opportunity to make the flagship Wrangler really look like the flagship.
Not saying I disagree but what would you suggest to make it look more unique?

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I disagree. The 01 wj was rated to tow 5klbs and did so with ease in my experience. It was unibody, had much weaker axles (aluminum center sections), was much lighter, had smaller brakes, a much inferior automatic transmission, and had a shorter wheelbase and narrower track width than the jlu. I wouldn't want to tow 8klbs or more with the jeep but you'd be surprised how well it will handle a 5klb trailer with nothing but a better hitch. People act like a 500lb tongue weight will max out the rear suspension, I'd bet we are over that when loaded for a camping trip between the cooler, tools, compressor, recovery gear, and camping gear and the jeep barely squats at all. There's a reason that Europe and Australia get a 5500lb tow rating and it's not because they value freedom over safety.
I respect your opinion, and I do think under "some" conditions the JL can tow more than 3,500 lbs safely.

But you have to realize that towing limits are set not in the most favorable conditions, but in adverse conditions.

If you are towing a 5,000 lbs flat-sided trailer in your JLU and drive over a bridge with crosswinds or an 18-wheeler speeds past you, what happens? What are your safety margins?

Are you sure you would not want to be in a vehicle that has tracks that are nearly a foot wider, has bigger brakes, has advanced electronically adjustable beefy shocks, and IFS?

I think if you are being honest you'd say yes.

And using your logic, if the JLU is rated for 3,500 but can tow 5,000 according to you, how much can the Bronco Raptor that is rated for 4,500 tow? 6,000?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I respect your opinion, and I do think under "some" conditions the JL can tow more than 3,500 lbs safely.

But you have to realize that towing limits are set not in the most favorable conditions, but in adverse conditions.

If you are towing a 5,000 lbs flat-sided trailer in your JLU and drive over a bridge with crosswinds or an 18-wheeler speeds past you, what happens? What are your safety margins?

Are you sure you would not want to be in a vehicle that has tracks that are nearly a foot wider, has bigger brakes, has advanced electronically adjustable beefy shocks, and IFS?

I think if you are being honest you'd say yes.

And using your logic, if the JLU is rated for 3,500 but can tow 5,000 according to you, how much can the Bronco Raptor that is rated for 4,500 tow? 6,000?
Neither one is a good tow rig. Assuming the raptor bronco will be set up like the F150 raptor the soft spring rate and long travel are not great for hauling or towing anything heavy. I would 100% rather be towing the same load with my truck, but would have no problem using the Jeep. If the jl is rated to safely tow 5,500lbs in Europe and Australia, both heavily regulated and geographically diverse enough to face all the same adverse conditions we do, it will do it safely here too. I couldn’t care less if it will tow up a 7% grade for 10 minutes in 100°+ heat which is likely the test that leads to the low rating we get.
Sponsored