JLUR 35s | Minimum Lift | Aftermarket Xtreme Recon

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
Recently purchased a 2020 JLU Rubicon and am just starting my build. I traded in my 2019 SAHARA and absolutely love the sturdy feel and tighter handling of the RUBICON.

So far, I’ve just been adding small accessories such as floor mats, stubby antenna, door still guards, tinted windows, and lock covers.

I’m now looking to start on the next phase of my build focusing on wheels and tires. I understand that with the JLUR gearing and axles there should be little impact to the handling moving to 35s. This vehicle is my daily driver and primary focus will always be retaining the on-road driving abilities. I do however take the vehicle on light / moderate trails on the weekends.

If the assumption that there should be little impact in moving up to 35s (315s KO2s) is correct, what additional modifications would be recommended. I have come across articles stating lifts/ leveling kits, and reinforced tire carrier are recommended.

My understanding is that 35s should be ~1” increase above and below the axil; thus a 1” lift should retain the factory spacing in the wheel well.

Essentially looking for a recommended build sheet for an aftermarket XTREME RECON JLUR.

I’m fairly new to off-roading and modifications! Any advice is greatly appreciated. Photo of the Jeep below.

37D29DE1-27A8-4AA1-A272-CE59A0C7803C.jpeg

7ADEDE2C-5BD6-4626-B12B-6FC823A12908.jpeg
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Recently purchased a 2020 JLU Rubicon and am just starting my build. I traded in my 2019 SAHARA and absolutely love the sturdy feel and tighter handling of the RUBICON.

So far, I’ve just been adding small accessories such as floor mats, stubby antenna, door still guards, tinted windows, and lock covers.

I’m now looking to start on the next phase of my build focusing on wheels and tires. I understand that with the JLUR gearing and axles there should be little impact to the handling moving to 35s. This vehicle is my daily driver and primary focus will always be retaining the on-road driving abilities. I do however take the vehicle on light / moderate trails on the weekends.

If the assumption that there should be little impact in moving up to 35s (315s KO2s) is correct, what additional modifications would be recommended. I have come across articles stating lifts/ leveling kits, and reinforced tire carrier are recommended.

My understanding is that 35s should be ~1” increase above and below the axil; thus a 1” lift should retain the factory spacing in the wheel well.

Essentially looking for a recommended build sheet for an aftermarket XTREME RECON JLUR.

I’m fairly new to off-roading and modifications! Any advice is greatly appreciated. Photo of the Jeep below.

Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR 35s | Minimum Lift | Aftermarket Xtreme Recon 7ADEDE2C-5BD6-4626-B12B-6FC823A12908

Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR 35s | Minimum Lift | Aftermarket Xtreme Recon 7ADEDE2C-5BD6-4626-B12B-6FC823A12908
Nice!

I think the stock 4:10 gearing in the Rubi goes well with 35’s IMO.

I’ve seen people run 35’s on stock Rubi suspension. I went with the AEV DualSport 2.5” with 35’s and performs and looks amazing to me!

Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR 35s | Minimum Lift | Aftermarket Xtreme Recon 3C6AEAB2-59EB-49A4-9A70-BD921EEBB040

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
What do you recommend for the best 1-1.5” lift similar to the Xtreme Recon?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
Bump. Looking for recommendations on how to build an aftermarket Xtreme recon to my 2020 Rubicon. What are the most practical build specs? Will 35s, 1.5” lift, tailgate reinforcement cover the bases?

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
I have a Rubicon Unlimited and went with 35” tires with the Skyjacker 1.5“ spring lift. I added the Falcon shocks. Unfortunately I discovered the rabbit hole. I wanted to get my gearing and mileage back so I regeared to 4.56. I then noticed the wandering so I added the Steer Smart components and finally the TeraFlex lower control arms. It is pretty solid and I am pretty much done with it.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR 35s | Minimum Lift | Aftermarket Xtreme Recon 839120EC-7262-4E0C-8CCE-D9286ECCD221

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your existing configuration will handle 35's just fine.

Is a lift necessary? That depends on how you plan to use the Jeep. Strictly speaking, a lift will make it easier to climb over obstacles. Will this be necessary for the light to medium trails that you frequent? Maybe not. You will have to test and find out. If you find that the tires are rubbing against the Jeep on these trails, a lift would be recommended.

Will you like how the Jeep looks with 35's and no lift. Many people do. You may or may not. This is a personal decision.

Just take your time and modify your Jeep. Put on the 35's first. See how you like it. Take it from there. One size does not fit all.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
What @Jamrock said… plus I’ll add it some info. If you aren’t going to be actually needing the additional height of a lift but want one, go with a spacer kit. Inexpensive and easy install without needing to make additional changes. If you are going to do some off-roading I’d do a smaller lift like 2”. Synergy is a more complete lift. Dynatrac 2” lift is a good basic lift as well. If you want max flex AND need it for tails go with 2.5” lift from either MetalClaok or Rock Krawler.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
To retain the stock spacing in the wheelwells, all you need are 3/4 coil spacers, since the stock 285/70 are 32.8 inches tall and 315/70 are 34.4 inches, thus 1.5 inch bigger.

If you choose to keep your optional upgraded wheels, you will need at least 1.25 inch wheel spacers, since 1 inch spacers leave to much stud lenght to fit inside the oem wheel pockets. However they fit the 4Xe wheels just fine.

Sponsored

Demon 2048

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR with Extreme Rubicon option

Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR 35s | Minimum Lift | Aftermarket Xtreme Recon 839120EC-7262-4E0C-8CCE-D9286ECCD221

I have my factory 1.5" lift kit from my new Unlimited Recon suspension with 6 miles on it including trailing arms, sway bars, springs, isolators, and shocks that will be needed to fit the 35" tires perfectly from the factory. If interested I will sell all of the kit complete for $200.

gregeast

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
I have my factory 1.5" lift kit from my new Unlimited Recon suspension with 6 miles on it including trailing arms, sway bars, springs, isolators, and shocks that will be needed to fit the 35" tires perfectly from the factory. If interested I will sell all of the kit complete for $200.
PM sent

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
I have a Rubicon Unlimited and went with 35” tires with the Skyjacker 1.5“ spring lift. I added the Falcon shocks. Unfortunately I discovered the rabbit hole. I wanted to get my gearing and mileage back so I regeared to 4.56. I then noticed the wandering so I added the Steer Smart components and finally the TeraFlex lower control arms. It is pretty solid and I am pretty much done with it.
Thanks for the background on your journey. I’m trying to limit going down a similar rabbit hole. Wanting to maintain stock handling but fit 35s with light lift so I’m not rubbing when flexed. I’ve stuffed my 33’s and assume I need at least a 1.5” lift. Similar to Xtreme Recon

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
I’ve been reading that it’s just a light spring lift with additional bump stops.

OP
OP
JLWarrior

JLWarrior

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL RUBICON
The Xtreme recon and the 392 have about the same amount of lift (1.5”). Just enough to clear 35’s. They do not have changes to control arm lengths.
Thank you! I’m just looking for the best ~1.5” lift option to retain factory handling.
Sponsored